Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Life after Basketball :'(

Ok so Im a senior in hs and my season is ending. It has been a less than perfect season and we have not met expectations at all this year which really makes me upset. To top it off there is a good chance we are not going to the playoffs. There are 5 games remaining and I love basketball and deep down inside I know I want to carry on and play at the college level. But with a season like this its difficult. Im really going to miss the basketball season even if it was not a good one. Our last home game we face a very tough opponent that beat us by 30 and it is senior night. Im just hoping for a miracle right now and that we can somehow pull it off and win these next 5 games.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Life after Basketball :'(

I'm in the same position as you. However, after my highschool season ends, I'm going to try and go for the best travel team in my city. My old one ended because it was U19 and most of my team was 19 last year so it's pretty much done. I don't think i'll be getting a scholarship to my university so i am hoping that i'll make it on a walk on (hopefully i get accepted lol). I've been playing with injuries for a couple months but i am feeling real good these past couple weeks so hopefully I'll make the travel team. I know the feeling that you have but if you are trying to play college ball, you have plenty of time to improve before you get there. Work, work , work, thats what i am doing. I just want to keep playing as much as possible. I'm considering going to a league in Europe (not for big bucks, but just for the game). It all depends on how much work i put in to the sport.

Got 2 season games left in my season, a tournament and then playoffs.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
I'm in the same position as you. However, after my highschool season ends, I'm going to try and go for the best travel team in my city. My old one ended because it was U19 and most of my team was 19 last year so it's pretty much done. I don't think i'll be getting a scholarship to my university so i am hoping that i'll make it on a walk on (hopefully i get accepted lol). I've been playing with injuries for a couple months but i am feeling real good these past couple weeks so hopefully I'll make the travel team. I know the feeling that you have but if you are trying to play college ball, you have plenty of time to improve before you get there. Work, work , work, thats what i am doing. I just want to keep playing as much as possible. I'm considering going to a league in Europe (not for big bucks, but just for the game). It all depends on how much work i put in to the sport.

Got 2 season games left in my season, a tournament and then playoffs.

Oh sounds good, same as you I just want to keep playing because I like playing the game, even if it means playing D3 as long as I get to play. Like bball has been my life for the past 6-7 years and I don't want it to end like this. I feel as though once the season ends my life will be like boring, and stressful. But yea are there any AAU teams for those who are seniors in HS? like 18U, 19U? Some people say there isn't
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Oh sounds good, same as you I just want to keep playing because I like playing the game, even if it means playing D3 as long as I get to play. Like bball has been my life for the past 6-7 years and I don't want it to end like this. I feel as though once the season ends my life will be like boring, and stressful. But yea are there any AAU teams for those who are seniors in HS? like 18U, 19U? Some people say there isn't

I'm not familiar with AAU rules. I play OBA (Ontario). But the team i am going for this year (hopefully) plays AAU teams during the summer and in tournaments. I'm going to work my ass to make these teams, i know EXACTLY how your feeling.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Are you going to study in Europe, AirTupac?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hey, I felt the same. exact. way. When my senior basketball season came to an unceremonious close, I was certain that basketball, for all intensive purposes, was all over. I knew of the former high school players who would come back to open gym out of shape and all colleged out. I figured my athletic decline was on the horizon.

As it turns out, one of the most beautiful aspects of basketball is the fact that it may carry on within your life for years to come. Surely, your days playing on an official team may be over (with tons of fans, sweet jerseys, official statistics, etc.) but there's still a lot to be gained from just playing ball.

I have heard one's athletic peak is right around the age of 27. In theory, that gives you guys each about 10 years before you even reach your peak. If you chose, you could improve your game further and further over that time. Even as a full-time college student and now as a full-time employee, I make time for basketball whenever I can. A lot of my favorite moments in basketball have occured only since I graduated high school. I can do things on the court now that I never dreamed of eight years ago.

There's honestly something to be said for being free and playing basketball on your own regard whenever you want. I was a little burned out on basketball after my senior year of high school. I've thought about how it would've been cool to play college ball just so I could say I played college ball. But truly, I think I've gained more enjoyment and satisfaction from playing when and how I wanted than if I were a role player at a random, non-fan-friendly low level college.

Point: There's a whole lot of basketball left in all of you post-high school if you want there to be. Why does it have to end now?
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Hey, I felt the same. exact. way. When my senior basketball season came to an unceremonious close, I was certain that basketball, for all intensive purposes, was all over. I knew of the former high school players who would come back to open gym out of shape and all colleged out. I figured my athletic decline was on the horizon.

As it turns out, one of the most beautiful aspects of basketball is the fact that it may carry on within your life for years to come. Surely, your days playing on an official team may be over (with tons of fans, sweet jerseys, official statistics, etc.) but there's still a lot to be gained from just playing ball.

I have heard one's athletic peak is right around the age of 27. In theory, that gives you guys each about 10 years before you even reach your peak. If you chose, you could improve your game further and further over that time. Even as a full-time college student and now as a full-time employee, I make time for basketball whenever I can. A lot of my favorite moments in basketball have occured only since I graduated high school. I can do things on the court now that I never dreamed of eight years ago.

There's honestly something to be said for being free and playing basketball on your own regard whenever you want. I was a little burned out on basketball after my senior year of high school. I've thought about how it would've been cool to play college ball just so I could say I played college ball. But truly, I think I've gained more enjoyment and satisfaction from playing when and how I wanted than if I were a role player at a random, non-fan-friendly low level college.

Point: There's a whole lot of basketball left in all of you post-high school if you want there to be. Why does it have to end now?

Yea I understand what you mean. These are the "glory" days. Where you play basketball for the pride of your school, friends, family and yourself. Theres nothing like showcasing your talents in front of your peers, alums, teachers, staff, and family. I feel as though whenever Im playing basketball in the park after the season it will be like "man I wish I could do this in an official setting" or "I wish I could have done this back in HS". I guess sometimes you have to let go of a good thing, but it sucks that my official basketball career is ending prematurely. But still like you said there is still enjoyment of playing freelance basketball I just need to find a gym because my days of playing on the asphalt are over (wrecking my knees). Also I still have to full fill my goal of dunking consistently.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Are you going to study in Europe, AirTupac?

I have no idea what I'm going to do right now. Lots of decision making.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yea I understand what you mean. These are the "glory" days. Where you play basketball for the pride of your school, friends, family and yourself. Theres nothing like showcasing your talents in front of your peers, alums, teachers, staff, and family. I feel as though whenever Im playing basketball in the park after the season it will be like "man I wish I could do this in an official setting" or "I wish I could have done this back in HS". I guess sometimes you have to let go of a good thing, but it sucks that my official basketball career is ending prematurely. But still like you said there is still enjoyment of playing freelance basketball I just need to find a gym because my days of playing on the asphalt are over (wrecking my knees). Also I still have to full fill my goal of dunking consistently.
If you're heading to a university, make use of those recreation centers. In all honesty, like I said, you probably have not yet reached your athletic peak. If you were to keep working on your game, if you're a partial dunker now, you could probably work your way into being a consistant dunker some time in the near future. I was 20 years old before I ever really dunked on someone. Then, as I kept working, things just continued to develop.

You may not have a lot of fans watching your games any more, but it's still tough to beat the satisfaction that comes with dunking on someone's head (or otherwise achieving success over your opponent).
Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
If you're heading to a university, make use of those recreation centers. In all honesty, like I said, you probably have not yet reached your athletic peak. If you were to keep working on your game, if you're a partial dunker now, you could probably work your way into being a consistant dunker some time in the near future. I was 20 years old before I ever really dunked on someone. Then, as I kept working, things just continued to develop.

You may not have a lot of fans watching your games any more, but it's still tough to beat the satisfaction that comes with dunking on someone's head (or otherwise achieving success over your opponent).

Yeahh, I try to get out to the courts as much as possible here. They are booked by the sports teams for majority of the time though.. so whenever they aren't practicing.. there is some good pickup games going. I'm also competing in a campus wide 3 on 3 tournament..
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:

yea like today for example gym period we played basketball. Nothing serious, just having fun and playing ball it was so much fun. I almost forgot how fun it is to play free basketball. The best situation that could happen for me is if I find a team that plays freely not so much play oriented and just like to have fun. Sometimes our practices feel like boot camp. But I really will miss it for several reasons.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

the same shit happened to me with Football. I didn't feel in until this past month, then it started to hit me.. I wished I enjoyed it more since I dreaded 2-day practice in the summer.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
yea like today for example gym period we played basketball. Nothing serious, just having fun and playing ball it was so much fun. I almost forgot how fun it is to play free basketball. The best situation that could happen for me is if I find a team that plays freely not so much play oriented and just like to have fun. Sometimes our practices feel like boot camp. But I really will miss it for several reasons.
As an assistant on a varsity high school club, I sometimes run with the 2nd unit in practice to keep things competitive. I have to say, one of the things I positively do not miss about organized, head coached, amateur team basketball are the zone defenses. Everything is just so clogged all the time. it forces a less fun brand of basketball. It kind of reminds me when I play one-on-one against someone and they just play five feet off me all game, content to let me win by making three pointers. I can do that, but it's just not as cool.

The defenses are different when you finish playing on a real team. Even when rec. squads resort to zone tactics, they're not the same as what you faced in high school. I feel this creates more offensive opportunity, which obviously is a lot of fun.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-04-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
MannyO
Super Cool E

Today was my last HS basketball practice felt sad about it. I woke up early got there before everyone and then my coach walks in. We talk a little bit and I shoot around and stuff. I used to hate him with a passion, but now over the past season Ive got to know him better and he said I am one of his favorites. So the team shot around for some time and we went about it like a regular practice and some guy from the newspaper came to take pictures of us. Then we handed in our practice jerseys and had some laughs in the locker room. And that would be my last memory of practice. Im going to miss it like crazy, the bus rides, the crowd, locker room jokes, spending time with the team, playing together, working our asses of in practice, shooting around, competing in practice, and much more. Even though we didnt meet expectation it was a great experience and I really learned A LOT from it. Hopefully I get on my college team and continue my career. I know Im still raw and have not yet reached my full potential (I started playing basketball in middle of 9th grade) so I am willing to put in the work needed to get me a spot on a team. Like my coach said "Its not charity, nothing is just giving to you, you have to work for it."
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

We have a playoff game on Monday. It's do or die. I know exactly what you mean. I've laughed my ass off with this team, some pretty hilarious stuff during tournaments / bus rides etc. We're going to try and extend it as long as possible so hopefully it all doesn't end on Monday. But I'm going to keep working as well to make it further on better teams.

Best of luck to you on the same mission bud!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: