Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #31
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Mozgov's best game this season was vs Pistons January 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
the biggest problem with Mozguv is his confidence.. Sometimes he looks scarred and about to cry.. Your 7'1, no need to be scarred Timo. If he can get his confidence up he can be a nice rotational player for us.
He might not fully understand English, but "perception" holds no language barrier.

He sees how D'antoni treats his players.

If you're young and make mistakes...go sit over there.

Hopefully having the fans and his team mates cheering for him brought him some much needed confidence.

And of course his very good play.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #32
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Sometimes he looks scarred and about to cry.. Your 7'1, no need to be scarred Timo.

I don't know why,but this comment is just too hilarious.Sounds like you're talking to a 5 year old.lol
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #33
Clutch
NBA Legend

I love when the crowd was chanting "MVP" while Mozgov was shooting free-throws.
I should also mention cheers at the end of the game.

I think it really boosted his confidence,he didn't play for a while,people made joke of him after Griffin dunked on him and all of a sudden he is a fan favorite.

I wish him only best.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #34
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I love when the crowd was chanting "MVP" while Mozgov was shooting free-throws.
I should also mention cheers at the end of the game.

I think it really boosted his confidence,he didn't play for a while,people made joke of him after Griffin dunked on him and all of a sudden he is a fan favorite.

I wish him only best.

Gee, when did that happen? I don't remember. anymore
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Default Re: Mozgov's best game this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
if mozgov can practice catching the ball and not fumbling it, hed be a force

Agree. But sometimes you have to blame Felton for his either extremely weak bounce passes to big men like Mozgov and Amare or over launching alley oops which I've seen him do more than I care to mention. Felton and Mozgov have to develop chemistry. Simple as that. If Timo has problems catching fastballs then work with the guy. Develop him and maybe he'll be strong with catching passes. As for now use what you know he can do on the court. You can't force a situation on the big guy. He's a slow learner but clearly capable once he feels comfortable.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #36
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

By the way who should be starting this coming Wednesday against the Mavs? This is what I am going to go with.

Felton
Fields
Gallo
Amare
Turiaf

Let Mozgov come off the bench. I don't know how long Chandler is expected to be out but if he is available to play then have him coming off the bench as well. Douglas, Randolph, Williams, and Walker should all play. Randolph should be given 10 minutes at least. Give him another opportunity. He deserves it. Hell I'll even say that Mason jr. should be given garbage time in the first half just so he can help shed minutes off of the players.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #37
New York Knicks
Banned

Default Re: Mozgov's best game this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
Agree. But sometimes you have to blame Felton for his either extremely weak bounce passes to big men like Mozgov and Amare or over launching alley oops which I've seen him do more than I care to mention. Felton and Mozgov have to develop chemistry. Simple as that. If Timo has problems catching fastballs then work with the guy. Develop him and maybe he'll be strong with catching passes. As for now use what you know he can do on the court. You can't force a situation on the big guy. He's a slow learner but clearly capable once he feels comfortable.
I agree. A lot of it is Felton. Remember in the beginning of the year when Amar'e was fumbling almost every pass from Felton. But they worked through it and developed some chemistry. But Felton just isn't a good passer.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #38
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

This is D'antoni we are talking about.

I seriously doubt he goes 10 deep.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #39
bluechox2
#knickstape

sound like a good lineup, give mozgov atleast 20 mins off the bench, and make sure gallo knows he is the number 2 option.
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #40
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
sound like a good lineup, give mozgov atleast 20 mins off the bench, and make sure gallo knows he is the number 2 option.
Felton's gonna have a huge problem with that.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #41
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Yeah, Gallo would love to get that much consideration in the offense. When Chandler's healthy Felton considers Gallo number four, at best.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #42
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Yeah, Gallo would love to get that much consideration in the offense. When Chandler's healthy Felton considers Gallo number four, at best.
Which makes no sense considering Chandler can't even create his own shot. I wouldn't pass it to him no the perimeter unless he's wide open.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #43
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
Which makes no sense considering Chandler can't even create his own shot. I wouldn't pass it to him no the perimeter unless he's wide open.
Question..... do you think that is why Chandler gets more touches from Felton than Gallo?

Reason why I'm asking because, looking at the game in particular vs Detroit, lack of passing wasn't why Felton didn't get alot of assists.

He did pass decently, but since they players who were on the floor can create their own shot to an extent, killed his assist total.

Other than Turiaf, everyone can reasonably get their own shot, or feed someone else for a better shot which they did, most of the night.

So since Chandler, can't create his own, Felton has to feed him the ball, and since he has improved his shooting, Felton can get those assists.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #44
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Question..... do you think that is why Chandler gets more touches from Felton than Gallo?

Reason why I'm asking because, looking at the game in particular vs Detroit, lack of passing wasn't why Felton didn't get alot of assists.

He did pass decently, but since they players who were on the floor can create their own shot to an extent, killed his assist total.

Other than Turiaf, everyone can reasonably get their own shot, or feed someone else for a better shot which they did, most of the night.

So since Chandler, can't create his own, Felton has to feed him the ball, and since he has improved his shooting, Felton can get those assists.
I don't know why Chandler gets more touches than Gallo. For a majority of the season they'd give him the ball at the perimeter and expect him to create. By touches I don't mean just purely FGA. I mean it as how many possessions where he has the ball for a significant amount of time (not just to catch and shoot). Felton's assists are down because he stopped running PnR's with Amar'e. The play most used now is giving it to Amar'e or Turiaf at the top of the key and have guys run around cutting or hand-offs on the baseline for layups or hand-offs at the 3-point line. Part of him not having assists is his fault, but IMO some of it is Amar'e's fault. When Amar'e's got the ball, it ends up being an ISO with no ball movement so it always ends up being one shot and no chance at second chance opportunities. I mean Felton is definitely a mediocre playmaker, IMO, but Amar'e spends so much time on the perimeter that the floor never opens up. Nobody can get open. For a stretch last night, the team looked more fluid with a lineup of Douglas/Fields/Walker/Randolph/Mozgov cause nobody was being a black hole or moving into areas of the floor where they shouldn't be. Big men stayed near the paint and perimeter guys stayed on the perimeter. This is the problem with Amar'e not being a traditional big man. He doesn't spend that much time in the paint. He goes in there to dunk or lay it in, that's it. He doesn't even position himself for offensive rebounds or lobs. He doesn't fight for post position in the paint. He doesn't draw the defenders in so guys get open threes. He was great at doing that in Phoenix. I can't understand why he won't do it now. It all comes down to who's really to blame here. It's either Felton or Amar'e. For me it's about 70/30 with Felton getting the bulk of the blame. Cause part of it is probably trust. We've seen Felton's weak passing ability result in dunks for the opponent on almost a nightly basis. I'm guessing Amar'e's noticed it too.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #45
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
I don't know why Chandler gets more touches than Gallo. For a majority of the season they'd give him the ball at the perimeter and expect him to create. By touches I don't mean just purely FGA. I mean it as how many possessions where he has the ball for a significant amount of time (not just to catch and shoot). Felton's assists are down because he stopped running PnR's with Amar'e. The play most used now is giving it to Amar'e or Turiaf at the top of the key and have guys run around cutting or hand-offs on the baseline for layups or hand-offs at the 3-point line. Part of him not having assists is his fault, but IMO some of it is Amar'e's fault. When Amar'e's got the ball, it ends up being an ISO with no ball movement so it always ends up being one shot and no chance at second chance opportunities. I mean Felton is definitely a mediocre playmaker, IMO, but Amar'e spends so much time on the perimeter that the floor never opens up. Nobody can get open. For a stretch last night, the team looked more fluid with a lineup of Douglas/Fields/Walker/Randolph/Mozgov cause nobody was being a black hole or moving into areas of the floor where they shouldn't be. Big men stayed near the paint and perimeter guys stayed on the perimeter. This is the problem with Amar'e not being a traditional big man. He doesn't spend that much time in the paint. He goes in there to dunk or lay it in, that's it. He doesn't even position himself for offensive rebounds or lobs. He doesn't fight for post position in the paint. He doesn't draw the defenders in so guys get open threes. He was great at doing that in Phoenix. I can't understand why he won't do it now. It all comes down to who's really to blame here. It's either Felton or Amar'e. For me it's about 70/30 with Felton getting the bulk of the blame. Cause part of it is probably trust. We've seen Felton's weak passing ability result in dunks for the opponent on almost a nightly basis. I'm guessing Amar'e's noticed it too.

What kills me is that Amare will almost always get stripped in the paint with 4 opposing players surrounding him while the 4 other Knicks are behind the arc. I blame the pringles system of 3 point shooting on this. The Knicks shot less 3 pointers the last game and utilized their big men in the paint. They obviously won the game by a decent margin of points because of offensive rebounding and even simple mid-range shooting coupled with ok defense. If they continue to work on their D, work on simple mid-range shots, develop Mozgov, and get offensive rebounds, then we can honestly say that the Knicks can advance further than the 1st round of games in the playoffs.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: