Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool
Default OT: Anybody use an online bank?

I'm thinking about opening up an e-trade savings account and moving my direct deposit over there, since they offer 4-5% interest. ING Direct also offers 4%. Anybody use either of these? It seems like a great idea, but I've just never looked into it (until now).
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

A friend has told me that ING Direct is really, really good.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ING Direct is the way to go.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

try citibank. they give you 5% on your savings plus they have actual brick and mortar branches. theres one across the street from me that i use.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
PsychoWorm
I brick open layups

PsychoWorm has no real reputation yet.

surely you can get higher, i live in NZ and i get 6.5%
PsychoWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

I've been using HSBC lately because they offere 5.05% interest. I used to have ING before. To be honest ING is easily the best of the lot in terms of being user friendly. HSBC is a pain in the butt to do anythin with. BUt its .5% more than ING.

In general my experience has been good with them.
I don't like Citibanks because they want you to open a checking account to go with the savings. HSBC and ING both are simple savings accounts that link to your existing checking account.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
try citibank. they give you 5% on your savings plus they have actual brick and mortar branches. theres one across the street from me that i use.
I have a citibank account, and they give me nothing of the sort. I only have like $100 in it these days, and have just been too lazy to close it out.
Quote:
surely you can get higher, i live in NZ and i get 6.5%
I've never heard of higher than 5%, but good for you. I don't like to have money in savings anyway, but it has to sit somewhere until you can put it to better use, so I want to make sure that "somewhere" is an intelligent place.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

i have an ING account. i opened it with $20 and got $50 for free haha

there are online banks that give more than 4% i think. ummm check out https://www.emigrantdirect.com/Emigr...tWeb/index.jsp
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
I have a citibank account, and they give me nothing of the sort. I only have like $100 in it these days, and have just been too lazy to close it out.
I've never heard of higher than 5%, but good for you. I don't like to have money in savings anyway, but it has to sit somewhere until you can put it to better use, so I want to make sure that "somewhere" is an intelligent place.

you have to apply for it online to get the 5%. im not sure how it works if u already have an acct, check their website.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
jen
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jen has an OK reputation so far

do check out HSBC. I don't know how they work outside the UK, but I can put 250 a month with them and I get 8% on it.
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #11
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

NugzFan is considered somewhat coolNugzFan is considered somewhat cool

another thumbs up for ING.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

I use washington mutual, but i have barely any money
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
adamcz
Bucks fan

Looks like e-trade, hsbc, and emmigrant all offer 5.05% apy. If I go with any of those it will be e-trade, since I already have my roth with them and I like it. I also will still consider ING, since I've heard great things about user satisfaction there.

Speaking of roth... if any of you are 18+ and don't yet have a Roth IRA, stop giving up free money. It's the government's biggest gift to us poor people (rich people can't have them) and it's silly to not accept it. Maximum you can fund it with is $4k a year, but you never ever pay taxes on it. If you get some money in it while you're young and give it a chance to grow over the years, you can some day have a large amount to play around with and not worry about uncle sam wanting his.

Last edited by adamcz : 12-06-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

I get like 5% on my Paypal account
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
I get like 5% on my Paypal account
I didn't know that. I have a small amount of money in paypal, and never noticed. I don't like paypal, because there aren't enough legitimate stores that you can use it at. If Amazon accepted it, I'd like it a lot more. I don't think paypal is a contendor for this thread though, since I'm trying to find a place to get direct deposit from work. I don't trust paypal for that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: