Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default Memphis Grizzlies Future

Finally we're at .500 and maybe now's a good time to discuss the future of our team.

Who should stay?
With Rudy and Mike tied into long term contracts, it's safe to say that we need to give Marc Gasol an extension real quick. Not really sold on Conley and his contract, but at least he's playing the best season of his life and is becoming more consistent in shooting the ball and running the offense.

Rudy has become the "Leader" of the team that his contract demands him to be. It's a breath of fresh air considering he kind of regressed last season. He's also shooting the ball real well at 47% and 40% from three.

Darrel Arthur has been a nice surprise all season. Scoring well when given the chance. The only thing I don't like is his allergy to rebounding the ball. Then again, we have more than enough rebounders in Gay and Gasol if Arthur does start. This brings us to...

Still up in the air
Zach Randolph. Last year he was the undisputed leader of the team. This year I see Rudy somewhat taking over that role which makes Randolph a little less valuable. Sure I do like the double-double he brings every night... but do we really need his post scoring?

Marc Gasol could probably fill that void. While Marc couldn't score 20 every night, he gives us a post scoring option that every team needs. But do we need 2 low post scorers in the starting lineup?

With Marc and Zach, we are probably near the bottom at contesting at the rim. Both guys are just too slow to rotate properly and neither complements each other's game defensively. Arthur, in the meantime, is a decent shotblocker with a nice medium ranged shot. He also gets most of his scoring through cuts and garbage baskets and does not need the ball to be effective. Also with Zach gone, we might even get to see Thabeet develop into something useful, or at least get his value up before we trade him. More importantly, we could use the capspace freed to get someone with a little more star power.

The Sam Young / Tony Allen situation is also something to look at. Both were inserted into the starting 2-guard position and both has responded differently. Tony Allen has embraced it and has done a nice job defensively. He's still small at 6'4, but has done a better job defending the perimeter than any other grizzly of recent memory.

Sam Young, while not a natural 2 guard, has struggled mightily. He's not a very good ball handler and is more suited to the backup 3 role. At the 2 he looked really lost in the offense. While he may have nothing to show for it now, he does have the size and athleticism to be a better defender than Tony Allen.

Who should go?
OJ Mayo. Let's face it, him and Rudy hasn't jelled at all since they played together. Might as well trade him and get dollar for dollar while teams want him. He's also a liability defensibly especially with an equally small point guard in Conley.

In offense, OJ has struggled a lot with his "spark off the bench role". He really needs the ball in his hands (literally on his hands for about 3 seconds at least) before he can go off. No instant offense. This creates problems when you he's usually smaller and slower than other 2 guards in the league.

Feel free to post what you think the grizzlies need to do to get from "fighting for a playoff slot" to be an actual "contender"
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
DeronMillsap
Banned

DeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Memphis Grizzlies Future

Can you guys sign both Gasol(restricted) and Randolph(unrestricted)?

I'm assuming only one of them will be back since you guys just gave extensions to Gay and Conley.

I remember Arthur putting up big numbers when Z-bo was injured early in the season so I assuming Gasol is more important.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
zac
Local High School Star

zac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat cool

I really think the Grizzlies will try to offer Gasol and Randolph new contracts for maybe a little less than they might could get elsewhere and hope they like playing enough with this core of guys to both take a small cut to stay together. If that doesn't work and Randolph think he will make more moey elsewhere I see them signing Gasol to a big contract.
It's kind of a lose-lose situation honestly. You can't replace what Randolph has done and he loves being in Memphis and everyone on the team likes him. However I think he has made Marc regress some, especially when it comes to rebounding because Gasol doesn't have to go up and get them anymore because Randolph gets them all.

OJ needs to be traded, not only to help the team but to help him out too. However I don't think the need to trade him just because they think they should. If they don't get good value for him then it would be stupid to trade him, same with Thabeet. We already invested the pick and time, we might as well keep him until his contract is up unless we can get something for him.

I love Darell Arthur but I'm not 100% sold on him being the starter but who knows. Maybe he just needs the chance again.

Sam Young being the starting SG is the best decision they made all year. Tony Allen coming off the bench to defend is a great play too. Those two guys are essentially the same player but Sam is more offense (although he does block shots and defend well) and Tony is all defense.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
Can you guys sign both Gasol(restricted) and Randolph(unrestricted)?

I'm assuming only one of them will be back since you guys just gave extensions to Gay and Conley.

I remember Arthur putting up big numbers when Z-bo was injured early in the season so I assuming Gasol is more important.
I think the grizzlies are still below the cap. To answer your question yes I think they could as long as they don't overpay.

My only problem with Z-bo is game doesn't really mesh with Gasol, Gay or Conley. He's like Antoine Walker, he needs the ball to be effective and I think having him on the team holds back a lot of our young core.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
ChiCity
I brick open layups

ChiCity has an OK reputation so far

im not a grizz fan but i just seen this thread at the side and had to take a look
i really like oj mayo
but he doesnt mesh with rudy as someone pointed out
i don't think his mind is right this season
hes struggling
so trade him
and get a good deal out of it
ChiCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The curve ball this season as well as next is Battier - will he stay or move on ??
He's a great player , but with Gay filling that spot , I just don't see Battier playing a whole lot of {4}

thoughts ????

Conley's extension was weird in my book
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
zac
Local High School Star

zac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
The curve ball this season as well as next is Battier - will he stay or move on ??
He's a great player , but with Gay filling that spot , I just don't see Battier playing a whole lot of {4}

thoughts ????

Conley's extension was weird in my book
Battier will be a great fill in until Rudy is 100% healthy. I could see him playing some of the 2 spot if needed once Rudy is back. We needed a good 3pt shooter and a defender and Battier is the embodiment of that. The Grizzlies will try to resign him and likely can, we got rid of Thabeets $5mil he was gonna earn next year. Once Rudy is back out bench is gonna be awesome.
Jason Williams, Tony Allen, OJ Mayo, Shane Battier, Darell Arthur, Hamed Hadaddi, Greivis Vasquez, Xavier Henry, Ishmael Smith, possibly Rodney Carney is they decide to keep him around but I doubt they will.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
zac
Local High School Star

I've come to this conclusion:
I think Marc and Zach will probably resign cheaper than expected to stay here especially with the team winning and assembling a solid roster. However I think the FA market will put Marc at around $8-10mil a year and I think we could sign Deandre Jordan at around $4-5mil for like 3-4 years. He is only making a little over $800K this year in the last year of his contract. If he go hard after him I think we could get him, and then use the extra money to keep Z-bo and Battier happy with their new deals. I really like Marc alot but he hasn't really stepped it up like I was expecting but he will have a lot of interest when it comes to FA.

Also Deandre Jordan would fit in with the style of the team alot better. Solid rebounder with strong putback and blocks. Besides Rudy Gay and sometimes Darell Arthur, we don't really have an athletic big man who can soar up there and get putback or alleyoops. Z-Bo with rebounding and finesse, Jordan with the rebounding and power. We don't need any more shooters on the starting team, like Marc likes to do just an athletic guy who can play defense and rebound and get dunks/easy buckets.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

The Grizz gave Zach a 4yr extension yesterday. Now the Grizz need to re-sign Marc Gasol.

I think the only player whose future is in the air is OJ Mayo. He almost went to the Pacers. As much as I like OJ it would have been a nice trade and I wouldn't be surprised if the Grizz try to trade OJ Mayo to the Pacers again this summer.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
zac
Local High School Star

The Zach Randolph extension hasn't happened yet. The sides are talking and it will probably happen soon but nothing is official yet.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

Do you guy's think that OJ will be with the team next season?
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
zac
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
Do you guy's think that OJ will be with the team next season?
I think it will depend on how he does in the playoffs. If he goes off then why wouldn't they keep him for the last year on his contract? Maybe if they get offered a pretty good package before the draft though they will trade him but who knows.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: