Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #16
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Default Re: Article:Lakers' struggles have Kupchak ready to make moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Pretty much this. Lakers rarely leak things to the media when they are looking to deal. So there must be an another motive. And that is to get these guys motivated.
They probably will get it under control in the next few games...just to fool Mitch...then they go back to their same lazy comfort zone after the trade deadline.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #17
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
but as laker fans, we expect titles or nothing.

hopefully that makes sense to you....
LOL. I guess I got suckered into media's "defending champion" already in someway without knowing it and expecting them to have title again too for 3peat. Late comeback is good...but I really hate that kind of journey as it is not always guaranteed. It's just this reminds me of 2008... oh well back to playing with Android.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #18
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

i hope they do make a move, or a few. this team hasn't been fun to watch this year.

it honestly looks like kobe is the only player who truly plays with fire every game. most of the others look pathetic. actually matt barnes was intense. but pau, lamar, andrew, shannon, and ron all look lazy and whiny
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
Kobe8
Banned

Blake and Barnes + xx + for Ariza and xx+

Lakers can just rotate Ariza in 3 & 2 and brown we'll be Fish's backup.

But I doubt thats gonna happen,.. If someone is to go it should be Blake or Barnes. But Im not sayin they should go, im just sayin that they're on that list.

Just dont trade ODOM please.
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
That could be the motivation this squad needs to get going... i'd say now, they are at about rock bottom... so its going to get better from this point on.

The team has been served notice to wake up and start playing.

This, I believe that it may be partly a media-play, especially after what West said in the media about his own team this year and also last year's "Lebron best player in the league" speech. I don't think there's anybody who loves the Lakers most than West so it's hard for me to believe that there's any motivation besides a positive one in his public comments.

But yea I wouldn't say the Lakers are "rock bottom" just yet. If this is rock bottom for the Lakers then you might as well call them the greatest franchise of all time (which some would). The Lakers are one organization that doesn't know the meaning of the word rock bottom. Rock bottom would be tanking for draft picks or writing a substance-induced public letter to past players. You didn't see Shaq leave the Lakers, the Lakers choose to drop Shaq. And you certainly didn't see Dr.Buss writing some half-wit letter afterwards. In fact in all of my time as a Laker fans, I have never seen the Lakers organization even resemble the tough times that some NBA organizations have had to go through. If there's one philosophy that LA fans should learn from their city, it's to relax.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

I do not think anything will be done unless Kupchak can work some Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol magic again.

Being realistic what we have should be more then enough. I think certain players just need to step up that's all.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe8
Blake and Barnes + xx + for Ariza and xx+

Lakers can just rotate Ariza in 3 & 2 and brown we'll be Fish's backup.

But I doubt thats gonna happen,.. If someone is to go it should be Blake or Barnes. But Im not sayin they should go, im just sayin that they're on that list.

Just dont trade ODOM please.

Why would the Hornets want to trade Ariza? Dude is balling for them.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Kupchak could be trying to light a fire under these guys' asses. Telling the media that he may have to make a trade isn't all that smart if you are really trying to make a deal. You lose leverage when you do that. And its not normal for the Lakers to come out and say things like that.

As Socal has said, I hope this provides motivation for the squad.

Not trying to say he is a huge difference maker, but Matt Barnes was the one guy we could always count on to bring the effort and grit to the team this year. His departure from the bench has hurt us.

In regards to trades, I dont think we have the pieces to make a deal. I would've liked to see Sasha and Brown for Hinrich, but not happening now for sure.

I am 100% sure this is not a case of Mitch trying to fire up the troups.....this is legit and he's going to look for a deal to improve this team.

Bladefd, mysely and few others have been on top of this from the get go.....like he said.....it's still falling on a lot of deaf ears.

We need Barnes back....it's funny....he always goes to teams as a low money backup and before long WORKS his way into the starting lineup.......look for that to happen soon after he returns if Ron doesn't get it together.

Not sure what the timeline for that Sasha&Brown trade you mentioned.....it would've been a bad move......a better move would have been to give up Blake instead of Brown if we are getting Hinrich......I'm way over the hinrich stuff anyway.....wouldn't talk down a Blake + exception for him though.

There are plenty of teams who don't see the Lakers as an enemy and wouldn't hesitate to make a trade with us if they can truly see a benefit.
It's only the teams who think they'll have a legit shot at a title in the next few years who will not trade with us.
O.J Mayo's days in Memphis are numbered....he has no future with the team....and his value is at the lowest point it will ever be at.....perfect for us.

There are many situations on teams that are either un.....or lightly publicized where a trade would benefit the team and player who are unhappy with eachother. Tayshaun Prince....Rip Hamilton, Chauncey......just to name a very few.......this time of year the gripes are enormous and patience is worn thin. Andre Miller is another one.........trust me, there are tons of unhappy players/teams who need a change.

Kobe 8? Blake AND Barnes for Ariza???? IMO Barnes = Ariza on this team, you have to realize that Ariza's role would not be the same in LA as it is in NO.....so that would be a bad deal.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
gts
Sons of Antartica

Mike_Bresnahan Mike Bresnahan

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson, on the possibilities of the Lakers making a trade: "Door's open for business."
13 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I am 100% sure this is not a case of Mitch trying to fire up the troups.....this is legit and he's going to look for a deal to improve this team.

Bladefd, mysely and few others have been on top of this from the get go.....like he said.....it's still falling on a lot of deaf ears.

We need Barnes back....it's funny....he always goes to teams as a low money backup and before long WORKS his way into the starting lineup.......look for that to happen soon after he returns if Ron doesn't get it together.

Not sure what the timeline for that Sasha&Brown trade you mentioned.....it would've been a bad move......a better move would have been to give up Blake instead of Brown if we are getting Hinrich......I'm way over the hinrich stuff anyway.....wouldn't talk down a Blake + exception for him though.

There are plenty of teams who don't see the Lakers as an enemy and wouldn't hesitate to make a trade with us if they can truly see a benefit.
It's only the teams who think they'll have a legit shot at a title in the next few years who will not trade with us.
O.J Mayo's days in Memphis are numbered....he has no future with the team....and his value is at the lowest point it will ever be at.....perfect for us.

There are many situations on teams that are either un.....or lightly publicized where a trade would benefit the team and player who are unhappy with eachother. Tayshaun Prince....Rip Hamilton, Chauncey......just to name a very few.......this time of year the gripes are enormous and patience is worn thin. Andre Miller is another one.........trust me, there are tons of unhappy players/teams who need a change.

Kobe 8? Blake AND Barnes for Ariza???? IMO Barnes = Ariza on this team, you have to realize that Ariza's role would not be the same in LA as it is in NO.....so that would be a bad deal.

Not that this is very common but I agree with you here .

Mitch made arguments to support his point that this team has lost too many games at home, and too many big games for that matter. We brought in new players this off-season to strengthen our chances of repeating as champions, and we're playing at a level thats not reflected by the talent we have on this team.

We lost to the bucks, a crappy team, following a loss to the Miami Heat.....We lost to the crappy Kings, following a loss to the Celtics. This is unacceptable by me as a fan and should be by everyone else.

I understand they can "turn it on" when they want, but we pay to go to these games to watch them compete and win. Why go to a regular season game if they say "we're gonna turn it on in the playoffs" ? Fine then I dont want to go to a regular season game. I'll just wait till the playoffs, if they even make it there lol.

We have some underachievers this year, guys that have been given great chances to improve, and it hasn't happened. Perhaps we have too many guys that were number 1 options on their own teams. Whatever the problem may be, a trade seems to be the only solution at this point.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #26
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:

Not sure why you would be against Hinrich. Hinrich can play the 1 and 2 and is a consistent player. Solid defense and solid range and a reasonable contract. i wouldnt mind dealing Brown for him(just read we couldn't have anyways though due to contract)

If you are looking to deal, I don't see it being necessary to go to the media. Its not like they can't contact teams themselves and see who is available and for what. And to be honest, there is no one we can get. Even the unhappy guys you mentioned are almost impossible to obtain bc we don't have many attractive assets to deal. thats the real reason i don't believe we will make a deal. Guys who are going no where is Kobe, Pau, LO, Bynum, Fish. Guys who are going no where due to their contracts or lack of ability are Luke and Artest. That leaves Brown, Blake, Barnes, Caracter, Ebanks, Theo, trade exception. Brown cant be dealt til Feb 17 I just read as well.

Sure there are always guys who are are on the block due to change of team makeup, overstayed their welcome, etc but you need to have assets to make it happen and thats where the Lakers will struggle in any deal made. Do you really think OJ Mayo is a viable option to LA? Who would they get in return? Steve Blake? How are we getting Billup, Tay, Rip? You have to consider other teams makeups and needs when thinking of guys to trade for. Just because they are available does not mean they are available to us.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Not sure why you would be against Hinrich. Hinrich can play the 1 and 2 and is a consistent player. Solid defense and solid range and a reasonable contract. i wouldnt mind dealing Brown for him(just read we couldn't have anyways though due to contract)

If you are looking to deal, I don't see it being necessary to go to the media. Its not like they can't contact teams themselves and see who is available and for what. And to be honest, there is no one we can get. Even the unhappy guys you mentioned are almost impossible to obtain bc we don't have many attractive assets to deal. thats the real reason i don't believe we will make a deal. Guys who are going no where is Kobe, Pau, LO, Bynum, Fish. Guys who are going no where due to their contracts or lack of ability are Luke and Artest. That leaves Brown, Blake, Barnes, Caracter, Ebanks, Theo, trade exception. Brown cant be dealt til Feb 17 I just read as well.

Sure there are always guys who are are on the block due to change of team makeup, overstayed their welcome, etc but you need to have assets to make it happen and thats where the Lakers will struggle in any deal made. Do you really think OJ Mayo is a viable option to LA? Who would they get in return? Steve Blake? How are we getting Billup, Tay, Rip? You have to consider other teams makeups and needs when thinking of guys to trade for. Just because they are available does not mean they are available to us.

We have many attractive assets. The point is, are the lakers willing to give one or two of them up? Are they willing for example to give up Ron, Lamar, or Bynum?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #28
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

What i'm saying to you and everyone.....is to have an open mind, most trades that happen are the ones you didn't see coming.....and often ones that don't seem to make any sense. You can't say for certainty that say......the Pistons are not going to strictly look at a salary dump and trade an unhappy player to the Lakers....in the WEST for the trade exception, Ebanks and Blake or ???? You cannot say what is going to happen.
I doubt ther would be any takers for Luke due to the never ending contract...lol, but I wouldn't bet against Artest being tradeable.
Memphis already know they are not getting anything near equal value for Mayo.....Picking up a young inexpensive player with potential like Ebanks along with ??? Is how they like to do business. Throw in a pick 2-3 years from now and they'd be happy. They'd be happier just to get Mayo out of there.......it's an ugly situation.

Hinrich.....as I said, last year guys were proclaimimg that the Bulls wouldn't trade him.....I said it was a certainty that he would be traded.
I think he's decent but overrated. I have watched his playoff performances and from my coaches eye, I don't think he can thrive under the pressure of what being a Laker in the postseason would bring. Would he be an upgrade from what we have.......absolutely......would he be THE ANSWER....no, and please no AI jokes...lol. I would like to see any stats that say Hinrich is more than an average defender......I don't see it.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-01-2011 at 05:41 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Lakers13
Reload Time

Well if a deal gets done hopefully it's asap, not much games left for someone to try to learn triangle on the fly.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
What i'm saying to you and everyone.....is to have an open mind, most trades that happen are the ones you didn't see coming.....and often ones that don't seem to make any sense. You can't say for certainty that say......the Pistons are not going to strictly look at a salary dump and trade an unhappy player to the Lakers....in the WEST for the trade exception, Ebanks and Blake or ???? You cannot say what is going to happen.
I doubt ther would be any takers for Luke due to the never ending contract...lol, but I wouldn't bet against Artest being tradeable.
Memphis already know they are not getting anything near equal value for Mayo.....Picking up a young inexpensive player with potential like Ebanks along with ??? Is how they like to do business. Throw in a pick 2-3 years from now and they'd be happy. They'd be happier just to get Mayo out of there.......it's an ugly situation.

Hinrich.....as I said, last year guys were proclaimimg that the Bulls wouldn't trade him.....I said it was a certainty that he would be traded.
I think he's decent but overrated. I have watched his playoff performances and from my coaches eye, I don't think he can thrive under the pressure of what being a Laker in the postseason would bring. Would he be an upgrade from what we have.......absolutely......would he be THE ANSWER....no, and please no AI jokes...lol. I would like to see any stats that say Hinrich is more than an average defender......I don't see it.

Hinrich is no lock down defender, but I think he is solid. He is a versatile defender, he can defend the 1 and 2.

Obviously I cannot say anything for certainty. I don't have inside info. But you can make logical assumptions. For the Pistons, it is possible they take a salary dump for Rip but we have no expiring deals. They are looking to sell and they don't want long term deals in return. Prince is an unlikely target bc he is an expiring contract himself. And as bad as the OJ Mayo situation is, I am very confident that an unproven rookie that hasn't shown much is enough to snag OJ Mayo. His value is very low but E Banks will not snag OJ. It make no logical sense to do so. They can get more than that for him and a player with more upside.

Anything is possible, but you are really reaching with your trade ideas, esp with the OJ mayo deal. I can't say for certain that the Pistons wouldn't take exception, Blake and Ebanks for Rip. But it all seems unlikely bc Rip makes a lot of money and Lakers already have the highest payroll in the league. And quite frankly, is Rip the answer for this team?

I just feel there is not much out there do acquire with what we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
We have many attractive assets. The point is, are the lakers willing to give one or two of them up? Are they willing for example to give up Ron, Lamar, or Bynum?

Yes we have assets but as I have stated I do not believe these guys will be dealt. The triangle is not an easy system to pick up, why would we go ahead and trade a core player half way though the season. I don't see LO or Bynum being dealt bc I don't think we should give up our advantage in size. Obv if much better bigs come in return, go for it, but I wouldn't count on it.

They would be willing to deal Ron, but I dont see a player coming back who can give us more given his play and contract.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: