Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
dkmwise
Local High School Star

dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Where Should I Live?

I'd leave out Phoenix and Baltimore if you value your safety at all.

Phoenix has the second most kidnappings in THE WORLD

And Baltimore, well, it's Baltimore
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
arkain
Local High School Star

arkain has decent reputation

Chicago, I have family up there, went there a few times, really nice place. I am applying for a job there too, the company has their HQ in Chicago, but I am going to their Indiana office first then hopefully later on get transferred to Chicago.

Cost of living is very expensive through, but it's a really nice place to settle down if you don't mind the weather.
arkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117

Chicago:

San Antonio:

San Fran:

Phoenix:

Dallas:

Houston:

Kansas City:

I can only comment on the cities I've been to so here's what my list would look like. It really depends on what you are looking for though. quality of life? nightlife? weather? culture?

San Fran

Chicago/Dallas/Houston/Phoenix all rank close to me

KC

San Antonio (sucks ass imo, check out Austin instead if you want that part of TX.)
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
I can only comment on the cities I've been to so here's what my list would look like. It really depends on what you are looking for though. quality of life? nightlife? weather? culture?

San Fran

Chicago/Dallas/Houston/Phoenix all rank close to me

KC

San Antonio (sucks ass imo, check out Austin instead if you want that part of TX.)

I'm not a huge nightlife guy. I enjoy going out to a bar every now and then but never to clubs. Quality is probably most important followed by weather.

Any reason specifically why SA is so bad? Or are there just much better options?
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Go somewhere that matches you political values.

I LOVE Chicago, and I have lived all over the world. This is my home, but I may leave to find "greener pastures" where the taxes and cost of living are under control(at least an improvement over Illinois!)
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
LakerDefense8
Banned

LakerDefense8 has not been impressing people

I prefer big cities to be honest with you. I would personally choose Dallas or San Fran, living in Chicago all your life, you get tired of it and you want a change of scenery.

San Fran is expensive to live in though.
LakerDefense8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
So I have a final interview for this potential job I want and as required, you have to put down your most and least preferred cities/states you would want to work in. Being in Florida my whole life, my opinion of each pretty much comes from what I've heard in the media so that can't be reliable. So if you've lived in or know what each city is like, care to give your opinion?

Chicago:

Boston:

San Antonio:

Colorado (Denver/Colorado Springs):

Baltimore:

San Fran:

Phoenix:

Charlotte:

Dallas:

Houston:

Kansas City:

There's 39 in all but these are what I'm most interested in. I'm leaning towards Denver right now because I like the mountains and I hear Colorado Springs is nice. But I really have no idea.

Sounds like you have some awesome locations.

I can speak on behalf of Dallas and Houston.

Houston doesn't have much in terms of outdoors but other than that it's a decent city. The summers are absolutely unbearable though. The humidity is crazy high. I'm sure the humidity is somewhat similar in Florida.

-Traffic kinda sucks. Great downtown in my opinion.

Dallas-Pretty much the same as Houston. I'd say its better though. Better downtown...traffic not as bad but there are still crazy drivers. Summers are way more bearable. You also have Forth Worth which is a cool city as well.

NO STATE INCOME TAX IN EITHER CITY!!!

San Antonio-Very, very mexican.

I'd go to Colorado if you're an outdoorsman. You will never get bored no matter what time of year it is. I'm moving up to a city in New Mexico that's an hour away from the CO border and I'm pumped about it. SO MANY ACTIVITIES.

I'd go Colorado Springs, Denver, San Fran or Dallas.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #23
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Either city seems like a great opportunity for you though. We need more people like you that aren't afraid to take on a new experience and a new life.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
E_Stamkos
I brick open layups

E_Stamkos has decent reputation

You cannot go wrong with Chitown. The winters might be a little to rough for some but otherwise it seems like a fantastic place to call home. At least thats the perception I got from visiting.
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I'm not a huge nightlife guy. I enjoy going out to a bar every now and then but never to clubs. Quality is probably most important followed by weather.

Any reason specifically why SA is so bad? Or are there just much better options?

I would go with San Fran. Great culture and food. It's an international city but not huge. The weather is great year round although it may be a bit cool in the evenings. Nothing as bad as what Chicago will be though. You are also fairly close to alot of outdoor activities, you are in the great northwest afterall. skiing and hiking, is near. national parks nearby. the wine country.

as for San Antonio...it is the armpit of all the major Texas cities. Also, like Hawker said..NO state income tax in TX. The cost of living is very low and you get alot for what you pay as far as housing. The money you save in rent you could spend on travel every few months, no joke. That being said, Houston and Dallas both have alot of urban sprawl (kinda like LA)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
rezznor
Nosetradamus

forgot to mention...If you were REALLY feeling adventurous, I would go be an ex-pat for a few years. see the world. That is one of my biggest regrets that I wish I did when I was younger. Live in Asia for a year and then live in Europe for a year. depending on what your occupation is, Chinese corporations are paying very well for Americans who want to work there. Shanghai and HK ftw
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
Abd El-Krim
Decent college freshman

Abd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
So I have a final interview for this potential job I want and as required, you have to put down your most and least preferred cities/states you would want to work in. Being in Florida my whole life, my opinion of each pretty much comes from what I've heard in the media so that can't be reliable. So if you've lived in or know what each city is like, care to give your opinion?

Chicago:

Boston:

San Antonio:

Colorado (Denver/Colorado Springs):

Baltimore:

San Fran:

Phoenix:

Charlotte:

Dallas:

Houston:

Kansas City:

There's 39 in all but these are what I'm most interested in. I'm leaning towards Denver right now because I like the mountains and I hear Colorado Springs is nice. But I really have no idea.

If salary is depending on the market, you want Chicago. In future jobs they'll ask what your last job paid and it figures into what they offer, a higher salary is a great card to play in an interview. Or you can transfer somewhere after a couple of years within the company, and be making twice what your boss does.

If it's the same anywhere, stay the **** away from Chicago or anything with an ocean nearby. Denver would be a good choice, it's a cool place.
Abd El-Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
forgot to mention...If you were REALLY feeling adventurous, I would go be an ex-pat for a few years. see the world. That is one of my biggest regrets that I wish I did when I was younger. Live in Asia for a year and then live in Europe for a year. depending on what your occupation is, Chinese corporations are paying very well for Americans who want to work there. Shanghai and HK ftw

Hopefully the company he would be working for would adjust his salary based on where he's living.
Anything under 100k+ would still be hard to live on in San Fran.

The rent there is anywhere from 900-1800 dollars.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #29
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Hopefully the company he would be working for would adjust his salary based on where he's living.
true, but he still wouldn't get the same value in terms of real estate.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #30
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Thanks for all the great replies, I really appreciate it. I guess to make things more clear, I'm applying for Teach for America so all I'm able to do is rank how highly I want to be placed in each region. I ultimately do not have the final decision. It is a 2 year committment then I'm able to continue living/working there or do as I please.

What I make depends on the region. San Fran I'll make ~40k and in areas with lower cost I'll make less. They adjust it pretty well though. I figure I will probably be rooming with some other teachers if I do indeed get the job just to save cost. So while cost of living is somewhat important, I won't let it deter me from a great area.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: