Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people
Default Have we locked down a #1-4 draft pick by this point?

Still a fair amount of season to play, but I don't see the Raptors going on any big winning streaks for the rest of the season.

Cleavland has the worst record locked down already,

and right now we are still better than the Wolves, Kings, and Wizards (by only 1/2 a game). So we stand as 4th worst team in the league.

Where do you think we will be relative to other teams by the end of the season?

I see us staying where we are at worst/best, and possibly even dropping to 2nd worst (I could see the Wolves and Kings passing us), maxing out our chances at the #1-3 draft pick.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Have we locked down a #1-4 draft pick by this point?

I think best (worst?) case scenario, we end with the 5th worst record. I can't see Sacramento or Minnesota passing us, or Cleveland obviously, so that puts us at 4th worst.. and then Wizards and Nets are the only other teams who could be worse.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I think best (worst?) case scenario, we end with the 5th worst record. I can't see Sacramento or Minnesota passing us, or Cleveland obviously, so that puts us at 4th worst.. and then Wizards and Nets are the only other teams who could be worse.

Sacramento, I said I could see them passing us cuz Evans had been injured for a while when they were at their worst, and Cousins started off really poorly but has been rapidly improving as of late. Their problem is just that they play too many other West teams, if they were in the east they would be in the playoff mix (lol).

Minni, yeah they are instable/unbalanced, but man they have lost so many games by small numbers of points, so it's probably not super likely but there's a chance they could go on little 3-4 game winning streaks, while the Raps I don't see winning more than 2 in a row for the rest of the year.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Yeah, you could be right. Anywhere from #2-#6 is possible, as far as record goes, and then there is the lottery. Very possible we get a #1 pick.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Lottery is 1-3 right ? Then the next are based on record as I recall.

(Going by memory here)

Bottom line is if you fall out in the 1-3 lottery the worst we can do is 3 spots lower. So realistically we pick at 5-8 or 6 - 9 with semi slim odds of getting a 1 - 3.

But we also get Miamis 1st rounder (late first rounder?? ) and 2 (??) second rounders (or just one? Does the Dallas deal bring us back and extra or was that just our own ? )

Plus we "should have" a chance to move one of: Reggie or Jose I am thinking for another late 1st rounder (Lakers, or Nuggets needing a PG and or an expiring contract for cap space).

So say the math works normal and we dont get extreme good luck:

6-9
29 (Miami)
27 (Lakers or Nuggets)
2 second rounders ??

Not bad considering we have cap space and some young potential.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Lottery is 1-3 right ? Then the next are based on record as I recall.

(Going by memory here)

Bottom line is if you fall out in the 1-3 lottery the worst we can do is 3 spots lower. So realistically we pick at 5-8 or 6 - 9 with semi slim odds of getting a 1 - 3.

But we also get Miamis 1st rounder (late first rounder?? ) and 2 (??) second rounders (or just one? Does the Dallas deal bring us back and extra or was that just our own ? )

Plus we "should have" a chance to move one of: Reggie or Jose I am thinking for another late 1st rounder (Lakers, or Nuggets needing a PG and or an expiring contract for cap space).

So say the math works normal and we dont get extreme good luck:

6-9
29 (Miami)
27 (Lakers or Nuggets)
2 second rounders ??

Not bad considering we have cap space and some young potential.

The lottery applies to teams 1-14 (teams out of the playoffs the previous year). Not sure about the situation as far as second rounders go.

Regarding Jose and Reggie, I highly doubt teams will give up a first for Jose. He is playing well but taking on that contract as well as giving up a first rounder (no matter how low) is something I can't see happening. I had optimism in the preseason over the value of Reggie's contract but after that crazy offseason last summer, I don't think expirers command the same price they did last year (look how much Toronto had to give up for Peja (14 million expiring contract)).
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Just to clarify for everyone, every team that does not make the playoffs goes into the lottery, where the worst record has the best chance at #1, and the chances becoming less for the teams as you get down to #14.

Any team involved in the lottery can get the #1 pick, and each team can only drop 3 positions (ie: #1 falls to #4, etc.)

After the lottery, and in the second round, you pick based on your record.

If the last place team goes into the lottery at gets the #2, 3, or 4 pick, they still have the first pick in the second round, unless, of course, it has been traded.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Any team involved in the lottery can get the #1 pick, and each team can only drop 3 positions (ie: #1 falls to #4, etc.)

After the lottery, and in the second round, you pick based on your record.

Thats what I meant.

Still there appears to be a couple of / few teams with multiple first rounders and Toronto is one of them.

I dont know that this is all that exciting given a lot of players might hold out due to the labour crisis ; but with the core we have I remain "very hopeful in a fan boi" sort of way that Toronto can attract 1 - 2 pieces with the depth of young talent we can assemble.

No Toronto may never be one of the super teams (Miami, Knicks, Lakers, Bulls, Mavericks) where suprstars decide to build their resumes.... but Toronto has every opportunity to be a Suns, Nuggets, Spurs, Hawks level organization.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: