Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Default Let Us Analyze the Draft

Obviously this season is a complete embarrassment, and anyone who thought Vagnani could be a franchise player has been exposed as a fool. But as usual, the fans of atrociously mismanaged teams like the Raptors have a juicy consolation prize waiting for them after the season. That's right: it's a mother****ing lottery pick *******.

So I propose that instead of wasting our breath lamenting the horrors of our current roster, let's discuss who we should draft. Here are some of the top prospects this year:

Kyrie Irving (Duke) - True PG, was kicking ass for Duke before injury, fast playmaker and scorer, may be a little skinny though, will be interesting to see if he can come back for the end of the college season and do something. Comparison: a longer Aaron Brooks.

Jared Sullinger (Ohio State) - Big body, big motor, true PF, smart and hardworking, good scoring touch and post moves, rebounds massively, some would question his athleticism and defensive potential at NBA level, but is surely a stud. Comparison: less athletic, more energetic Carlos Boozer? Fat David West? Poor man's Moses Malone? Hard to say.

Perry Jones (Baylor) - Could be number one pick on potential alone, super coordinated and athletic 6'11 PF, could eventually even be a combo forward, however is very raw and has maturity issues. Most talented player in college basketball, high risk high reward. Comparison: potential Lamar Odom/Kevin Garnett, but far far from living up to that potential.

Enes Kanter (Turkey) - Arguably the only true center of note in this class at 6'11 260, apparently a brute with high skill level, low post scorer, but unfortunately not playing anywhere this year due to NCAA ruling on amateur status. Lack of exposure and delay in development could hurt him, but still a big time prospect. We've had problems with Turkish players recently though. Comparison: Luis Scola/Mehmet Okur with less range.

Derrick Williams (Arizona) - Explosive and extremely productive PF, natural scorer and rebounder, undersized for position at 6'8 240, a tweener, defensive question marks (might have hard time keeping in front of NBA SFs and hard time bodying up with NBA PFs), but talent and physical abilities will see him picked in the top 5. Comparison: lesser version of Jeff Green.

Donatas Motiejunas (Lithuania) - Long 7'0 Euro PF, we all know how that turned out last time. Much more lean physically than Bargs, similar skillset and athleticism, but apparently has the same kind of laziness and immaturity too. Based on exceptional talent, could be picked anywhere in Top 10, including #1 if the right team has the pick and can be sure he won't pull a Rubio. Seriously, if he wasn't rumoured to be very spoiled and soft, could be considered top prospect. Comparison: Yi Jianlian/skinnier Andrea Bargnani.

Terrence Jones (Kentucky) - Hard to get a read on, strong, athletic, skilled 6'8 SF, may be a bit of a tweener, from what I've seen has no right hand and is very slow getting off jumpshot, but size, talent and productivity make him tempting. I just hope the Raptors aren't tempted. Comparison: more talented Ryan Gomes.

Kawhi Leonard (San Diego State) - Athletic 6'7 SF, exceptional rebounder (really), gritty defender, energetic but raw as a scorer, you would never regret drafting him outside the top 5 or so in this draft. If the Raptors do fall down in that 6-9 pick range either by losing in lottery or winning too many games, this kid would instantly make our team less wimpy. Comparison: Dennis Rodman in SF form!!! Just kidding. Or am I? I'm not even sure. More likely a slightly better Trevor Ariza/Matt Barnes type.

Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania) - Big, long, raw Euro 7-footer, lacking explosiveness and skill but possessed of great height, long arms, good hands, and naturally strong frame. Sheer size makes him a potential lottery pick this year. I've had enough of Europeans for a while. This guy sounds like the type who wouldn't come over for a few years anyway. Comparison: Tiago Splitter/white Brendan Haywood(?).

Brandon Knight (Kentucky) - If this kid turns out to be a true PG he'll make a lot of teams wish they'd drafted him. He's strong with good size at 6'3, excellent defender/jump shooter/slasher, not a great leaper and playmaking/leadership is shaky at this point. If we fall out of Top 5 I would really like to get him. Comparison: Rich man's Raymond Felton.

Alec Burks (Colorado) - I have never gotten a chance to see him play due to team he is on, but apparently a very talented and athletic 6'6 combo guard. Not sure what to make of that. Sounds like Tyreke Evans or something. Although I'm sure he's nowhere near that good, expect him to rise up draft boards as his physicals come in at draft combine. Main knocks are lack of strength and inconsistent jumpshooting. Comparison: Poor man's Tyreke Evans?!? More likely a longer, less explosive Shannon Brown.

Jan Vesely (Czech Republic) - High potential Euro player, apparently a very long, athletic and coordinated 6'11 combo forward, but not exceptionally skilled. Although he is often touted as a huge SF, I think he's probably more of a full time PF down the road. I don't really know that much about him since he's "over there." Again, would rather we avoid Euros. Comparison: Omri Casspi/Jonas Jerebko type.

Jimmer Fredette (Brigham Young) - High scoring PG with awesome first name, able to hit any jump shot despite lack of explosion, kind of like Stephen Curry or even Steve Nash. Unfortunately nowhere near Nash's level as a playmaker and floor general, but he has a flair for the dramatic and ability to put up huge scoring numbers. Probable college player of the year, probably not a true PG in NBA. Comparison: Much taller J.J. Barea? White Gilbert Arenas? Nash sans passing? Second coming of Pete Maravich? Second coming of Jesus?

Kemba Walker (Connecticut) - This may sound crazy, but I see some similarities with Chris Paul. They're about the same size (5'11 barefoot), both are lightning fast, amazing ballhandlers, and have great scoring touch driving to the basket. Not the kind of amazing passer and leader Paul is, but Walker should still be a late lottery pick despite lack of ideal size. One of top scorers in college basketball. If we really pooched our draft stock by like going on a huge winning streak, and then missed out on both Irving and Knight, I would want us looking at this kid. Luckily, that won't happen. Comparison: an extremely poor man's version of Chris Paul. Wait, that does sound ****ing crazy. Let's say less athletic Jonny Flynn instead.

Harrison Barnes (North Carolina) - Inconsistent and lack-lustre play so far has absolutely destroyed his draft stock, which in his defense was vastly over-inflated. Still, he has been improving lately, and he is still a long, coordinated and smoothly athletic 6'8 wing, even if he is much less skilled and explosive than people were expecting. If he even enters this draft, he has to at least be on one's radar. Comparison: Nick Young with potential to become Richard Jefferson facsimile.

That is literally every player I can even imagine us considering with a top ten pick. Discuss among yourselves who the Raptors should pick, preferebly not basing your opinions on my crackpot comparisons. Who would fit best? Do we go for talent or utility in such a low-talent draft? What would Colangelo do? Seriously, I'm worried about what he'll do.

I will post profiles of other draft prospects later because I am a junky for this shit.

Last edited by A.M.G. : 02-07-2011 at 04:24 AM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Let Us Analyze the Draft

I truly wish Kanter was playing this year. He's right at the projected spot where Toronto may be picking and he fits a need pretty nicely (as well as having the talent level of a top 5 pick). From the very little I've seen of him, I don't know if he can be a true defensive anchor but that's not a requirement to be a top tier C these days.

Right now (assuming Irving goes first to Cleveland, can't see a team passing up the chance to take him seeing the impact of top PG's in the draft in recent history) I'd be inclined towards Sullinger at this point. Again, not a game changer defensively but I like the Boozer comparison and although the Raps have PF's (arguably the best players on the team right now too in Amir and Davis), you still take Jared and let that "problem" work itself out.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Jballer
Local High School Star

Nice summary of the players.

I guess one serious question is how many of these guys will hold back and play another year of college hopes if there is a lock out ?

I suppose the NBA will make some rule allotments about "rights" if the lock out is inevitable.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

Yeah great summary. I haven't been following many draft prospects as much as I'd like and your summaries are helpful.

I'd say we can't draft based on position or who is already on this team. We don't have the luxury to do that. We just need to take the best available talent when our name is called, and it's looking more and more likely that it'll be a top 5-6 selection.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
I'd say we can't draft based on position or who is already on this team. We don't have the luxury to do that.

I think I disagree - or I am on record as "pro drafting by position".

Your point is valid; your view legitimate.

However I would hate for the Raptors to squander the draft on a soft big man with years of development ahead of him. When I say soft big man I am not slagging euro based players nor american specifically. Just too few big men come in ready. Further I "think" there are "bigs" available through the trade process such as Thabeet (perhaps Oden or even Bynum or a few others). All these guys are a couple years into their development and we already know the stengths and weakness and can compliment them with supporting players and the youth we have.

IF this class opts into the draft - I really look to see the Raps get out PG of the future.

I love the upside of Bayliss I have seen as a 1-2 tweener, but Jose is obviously not a part of the future.

Further a high ranked 1 is likely to impact the team asaha - as soon as he arrives.

Last edited by Jballer : 02-09-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Reef
College star

I've watched the last few UNC games and Harrison Barnes has been amazing. I know he struggled early on in the season but he's playing really well now.

I think he would perfectly compliment DeMar at SF. He's more of a shooter than slasher. He has beautiful form on his jumper. He can hit the 3 consistently, shoot off the dribble, post up, rebound and play D. He has good size for the 3 spot too.

Of course, Irving would still be my number 1 choice.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
I've watched the last few UNC games and Harrison Barnes has been amazing. I know he struggled early on in the season but he's playing really well now.
I agree. I've caught a bit of his play lately and am really liking his game. I wouldn't mind seeing more creating off the dribble from him but that's not a big part of the structured college game in general. I think he's playing himself back into the top 5.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I agree. I've caught a bit of his play lately and am really liking his game. I wouldn't mind seeing more creating off the dribble from him but that's not a big part of the structured college game in general. I think he's playing himself back into the top 5.

UNC vs Duke is on the Score tonight at 9pm.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
brwnman

I am scared of the lockout. If some of these guys end up staying back a year. There is a belief that Barnes will stay back a year if there is a lockout...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I am scared of the lockout. If some of these guys end up staying back a year. There is a belief that Barnes will stay back a year if there is a lockout...

True, but next year's draft is supposed to be stacked, and if they're smart they'll come out and get drafted high this year. A guy who could be top 5 this year might be out of the top 10 next year.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
True, but next year's draft is supposed to be stacked, and if they're smart they'll come out and get drafted high this year. A guy who could be top 5 this year might be out of the top 10 next year.
Exactly.

Any top 5 (or 10) pick that stays in school is dumb. There's no other way to put it, they are dumb. They would potentially be giving up millions of dollars by doing so. If I was guaranteed to be even a lottery pick, I'd be in the draft without a second thought.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Reef
College star

NJ and Washington won! We're only a half game out of 2nd!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'm really hoping that the Raptors can get a dynamic player/scorer in the backcourt or wing spot. Someone like Irving or Barnes to make the Raptors a more conventional team and hopefully lead them to putting more defense and rebounding into their frontcourt. You can get by with an SG or SF who scores from the perimeter and does little else. You can't with a C that does that.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
BRabbiT

nice summary.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
el gringos
Great college starter

Terrance Jones looks like the type of power 3 that would work good w bargnani and derozen but there is a good chance raps will be in motiejunas range
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: