Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
strike
Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Should the Magic Start Arenas?

Now i know hes been garbage lately... but bare with me ISH......

The Magic will find it extremely difficult to win a championship with the current set up. I think we can all agree on that. Arenas off the bench is NOT working. They are badly lacking in depth upfront. With Arenas's big contract and poor play, its gonna be impossible to trade him i reckon. So heres a PROPOSED solution...

Throw all your eggs in one basket and Start Arenas over Nelson, giving him 30 minutes per game. Have Nelson back him up.

We KNOW what Nelson and the magic bring with this set up. And its not enough to win a title. MAYBE, just MAYBE the magic should roll the dice and see what Arenas starting gives them? They have nothing to lose?

They could MAYBE even trade Nelson and get another quality big. Now im a MASSIVE fan of Nelson. But the truth is Duhon has very little trade value. Arenas has a bad contract so them two are gonna be hard to trade. Give Nelson away however....and you could get a good player in return.

Im not saying this will work. But does anyone think this is worth a shot?

we KNOW they are outsiders to win a title this way. But WHAT IF Arenas starts to come into his own, playing with the starters and getting minutes? The Magic could become dangerous again. The way its going is not helping, thats clear for all to see.

Apart from sacking SVG, there is really nothing else they can do to get significantly better? Unless they can pull off a trade and get a quality big somehow
strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Default Re: Should the Magic Start Arenas?

The Magic should start packing his bags and send him someplace else.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
The Magic should start packing his bags and send him someplace else.
well obviously!

but who would take on his 60 million and baggage? Especially since hes hardly set the world alight in Orlando.

Of course i think the BEST thing would be to trade him. But i doubt Anyone takes him at this point
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
knightfall88
Local High School Star

I would trade nearly everyone outside Dwight to get the best perimeter player they can find and then build from there.
knightfall88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
AI3Anthony
A New Era Begins

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Idc what anyone says. Gilbert has a lot left in him. Maybe if Stan Van Gundy gave him.. i dont know.. some PLAYING TIME, he could prove it to everyone. He'd rather play scrub Jameer Nelson. The starting line-up should be..

Arenas-Richardson-Turkoglu-Anderson-Howard

Jameer-Bass-Redick with energy off the bench.
AI3Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI3Anthony
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Idc what anyone says. Gilbert has a lot left in him. Maybe if Stan Van Gundy gave him.. i dont know.. some PLAYING TIME, he could prove it to everyone. He'd rather play scrub Jameer Nelson. The starting line-up should be..

Arenas-Richardson-Turkoglu-Anderson-Howard

Jameer-Bass-Redick with energy off the bench.
yep.
agree 100%
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz | Utes | Raiders

I don't think he'd do any better then what Jameer Nelson is doing, both aren't really true PG's at all. Orlando isn't even the 4th best team in the East now.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
I don't think he'd do any better then what Jameer Nelson is doing, both aren't really true PG's at all. Orlando isn't even the 4th best team in the East now.
yea.

The thing is though, we know how the Magic are with Jameer.
What we dont know is how they would be with Gilbert starting. Nothing to lose IMO. They wont go below 5th seed. But maybe Gilbert rediscovers his 20ppg and outside touch?

The way things are now they have no chance
Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
StateOfMind12
Banned

What would be the point in starting a player that is much worse than the original starter? Plus, it isn't about who starts, it is about who finishes....and I can sure as hell tell you that Arenas will be playing in closing minutes anytime soon.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
What would be the point in starting a player that is much worse than the original starter? Plus, it isn't about who starts, it is about who finishes....and I can sure as hell tell you that Arenas will be playing in closing minutes anytime soon.

The point would be that we know that with this current set up they cant win the title. What we dont know is how good they could be with Gilbert getting more minutes. And we also know they dont quite have the pieces to pull of another big trade! Aside from starting Gilbert and giving him more minutes, what else could they do to shake things up?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
da dream
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

they should trade him. guy is garbage. but no one esle will want his contract. Gilbert Arenas will be the reason why Dwight leaves Orlando, since they will be hampered with his salary.
da dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12

Right!

Dude was so good in the playoffs last year and his numbers were pretty good all the way until they Rashard for Arenas trade. He was averaging close to 15 or 15.5 a game if i remembered right

Who carried that Magic over that Bobcats when Dwight and Carter were both struggling?

Jameer Nelson: "Me, thats who"

Last edited by Bigsmoke : 02-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by da dream
they should trade him. guy is garbage. but no one esle will want his contract. Gilbert Arenas will be the reason why Dwight leaves Orlando, since they will be hampered with his salary.
they cant trade the guy.
The current set up isnt working.

so WHY NOT at least try to start him and give him more minutes! Maybe they get lucky. at this rate theyr looking at a 1st round exit
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
da dream
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike
they cant trade the guy.
The current set up isnt working.

so WHY NOT at least try to start him and give him more minutes! Maybe they get lucky. at this rate theyr looking at a 1st round exit

if the guy can't beat out jameer nelson in practice then he shouldnt play in games. You need to prove you deserve to play in the game. So far he has proved nothing.
da dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
Naruto-sama
High School Varsity 6th Man

Only if you don't let Gilbert take any jumpers then MAYBE it could work. Otherwise he's WAY worse of a shooting threat than Jameer is, and likes to chuck them more than Jameer.

Jameer gets too much hate from Magic fans, while Gilbert gets too much hype. Its been this way since the trade too.
Naruto-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: