Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kevin Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The only reason Kevin Love wasn't instantly selected as an All-Star was because Popovich took his own guy Duncan even though he is clearly on the downside (but still a very productive player).
The head coach of the team with the best record no longer selects the reserves. All head coaches vote.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
The head coach of the team with the best record no longer selects the reserves. All head coaches vote.
I'm pretty sure Duncan carries a certain respect among coaches. It's probably his last appearance.

Then you consider the glut of forwards having very good years in the West this season. Randolph and Aldridge are having All-Star quality years but lose out due to the numbers game. Bosh is an "All-Star" this year but if he was competing against the West forwards, he wouldn't even be in the conversation. They're all All-Star caliber players to me this season whether they made it, made it as a replacement or just barely missed out.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I couldn't follow your logic because I didn't think that somebody could suggest that Kevin Love could have been an all-star starter, no matter how much overrated he is. In addition, nobody takes seriously fans voting. Fans vote for their preferred players even if they know that they are playing like scrubs that season. It is a popularity contest.
My point was: Many fans think that Kevin Love should be an all-star, head coaches don't think so. Then, Kevin Love is overrated by the fans. I hope you can follow my logic this time.

I could follow your logic if the statement bolded had any factual basis that wasn't purely anectodal. The only way it could be proven that the fans believed he should be an allstar would have been had they voted him a starter, which they did not do.

As for whether or not it's in discussion that he be an allstar starter, someone putting up the historic numbers of 21/15 would have to be voted a starter in the allstar game before a legitimate debate over whether or not he's overrated could even begin.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
I could follow your logic if the statement bolded had any factual basis that wasn't purely anectodal. The only way it could be proven that the fans believed he should be an allstar would have been had they voted him a starter, which they did not do.

As for whether or not it's in discussion that he be an allstar starter, someone putting up the historic numbers of 21/15 would have to be voted a starter in the allstar game before a legitimate debate over whether or not he's overrated could even begin.
As I said before, the fans voting is a popularity contest. That has nothing to do here.
http://basketball.realgm.com/news/polls
Quote:
Who is the most egregious All-Star snub?
Feb 03, 2011

48.84% of RealGM votes chose Love.

Total votes: 11721

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/news/polls#ixzz1E8yBMTE0
But this do prove that fans think Love should be an all-star. Now you have the factual basis.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

haha this is weird. I make this thread and it gets like 2 responses. A week later Beastnani posts in it and all of a sudden it's a hot topic. I guess I have a lot of responses to read through now.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

This thread hurts my head.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Forwards:
Kevin Durant (Thunder) 1,270,729
Carmelo Anthony (Nuggets) 945,720
Pau Gasol (Lakers) 851,456
Blake Griffin (Clippers) 702,784
Tim Duncan (Spurs) 663,487
Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks) 615,243
Lamar Odom (Lakers) 364,950
Luis Scola (Rockets) 347,986
Kevin Love (T-Wolves) 301,529
Caron Butler (Mavericks) 205,146

Of all eligible forwards in the western conference Kevin Love scored the ninth most votes.
I believe this ends the debate, as clearly, Kevin Love is not supported to be an all-star by the fan base in the NBA. He was selected because of the incredible season he is having. I commend the commissioner for selecting him in spite of his lack of popularity.
Your welcome DJMason for supporting your arguement.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 02-16-2011 at 08:41 PM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Forwards:
Kevin Durant (Thunder) 1,270,729
Carmelo Anthony (Nuggets) 945,720
Pau Gasol (Lakers) 851,456
Blake Griffin (Clippers) 702,784
Tim Duncan (Spurs) 663,487
Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks) 615,243
Lamar Odom (Lakers) 364,950
Luis Scola (Rockets) 347,986
Kevin Love (T-Wolves) 301,529
Caron Butler (Mavericks) 205,146

Of all eligible forwards in the western conference Kevin Love scored the ninth most votes.
I believe this ends the debate, as clearly, Kevin Love is not supported to be an all-star by the fan base in the NBA. He was selected because of the incredible season he is having. I commend the commissioner for selecting him in spite of his lack of popularity.
Your welcome DJMason for supporting your arguement.
I'll repeat again: Nobody with some common sense gives a damn for the fans voting. For example, Yao Ming was selected as starter without even playing!!! It says as much about the player as the reputation in this forum about the posters
All the players above Love in that list are much more popular than him maybe except to Scola who has the votes from Argentina and maybe South America.

I'll repeat the link to a RealGM poll:
Quote:
Who is the most egregious All-Star snub?
Feb 03, 2011
48.84% of RealGM votes chose Love.
Total votes: 11721
Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/news/polls#ixzz1E8yBMTE0
lack of popularity? Come on! Almost half the fans (11721 votes) answered that he was the biggest ignored player. There were a list of about 8 or 10 players and almost half the fans selected Kevin Love.
Head coaches voted that Love isn't an all-star and the commisioner gave the white guy to the fans. That's the fact.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I'll repeat again: Nobody with some common sense gives a damn for the fans voting. For example, Yao Ming was selected as starter without even playing!!! It says as much about the player as the reputation in this forum about the posters
All the players above Love in that list are much more popular than him maybe except to Scola who has the votes from Argentina and maybe South America.

I'll repeat the link to a RealGM poll:

lack of popularity? Come on! Almost half the fans (11721 votes) answered that he was the biggest ignored player. There were a list of about 8 or 10 players and almost half the fans selected Kevin Love.
Head coaches voted that Love isn't an all-star and the commisioner gave the white guy to the fans. That's the fact.

So you quote a popularity contest on RealGM to counter the NBA's official popularity contest? You do realize that's what you just did right?
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
So you quote a popularity contest on RealGM to counter the NBA's official popularity contest? You do realize that's what you just did right?
The fans voting is something like "what players do you like the most?" or "whom do you want in the all-star?" of something like that. And you select your favourite players, no matter their game in that season. I guess that most people answer that way. At least at some extent. In addition any 10 years old kid can answer the NBA "popularity contest".
The question in RealGM was very clear. "Who is the most egregious All-Star snub?". So, if you want to know if Love is overrated, the poll in RealGM is much more accurate than the fans voting. It's not the same.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

How is 48% of an almost minuscule number of people voting about who got snubbed as an All-Star selection equal to Kevin Love being an overrated player?

Dude's averaging 21 points and 15.4 rebounds per game. On great percentages.

So his teams not winning.. so what? Those are 100% All-Star numbers.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
How is 48% of an almost minuscule number of people voting about who got snubbed as an All-Star selection equal to Kevin Love being an overrated player?
11721 people is a minuscule number???

Quote:
Dude's averaging 21 points and 15.4 rebounds per game. On great percentages.

So his teams not winning.. so what? Those are 100% All-Star numbers.
Again, head coaches didn't vote for him. That's my argument. If you guys won't agree with me, that's okay. But, please, stop twisting my ideas and twisting your own ideas.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #28
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #29
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
11721 people is a minuscule number???

When you think of how many people watch basketball and vote on the all-star starters, yes, it's very miniscule. That's like half an NBA arena.

Quote:
Again, head coaches didn't vote for him. That's my argument. If you guys won't agree with me, that's okay. But, please, stop twisting my ideas and twisting your own ideas.

Okay, well this is basically the first thing I've said in this thread recently, so I'm not the one you're arguing with. I'm not twisting anything, I didn't say shit about who votes for starters, reserves, or replacements.

I'm just simply asking, how does a vote on RealGM asking who of the following players got snubbed make Kevin Love overrated? Especially where he was nowhere near contention in the oringinal votes for All-Star.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
When you think of how many people watch basketball and vote on the all-star starters, yes, it's very miniscule. That's like half an NBA arena.
If you can assume that the sample is random (I mean, in this case, if there is no relation between visiting RealGM and being a Kevin Love fan instead of any other player's fan) then 11000 people is a huge number. You could take all the basketball fans in the world and the percentage wouldn't change in one point.

It is like if you throwed a coin 11000 times... you will get 50% heads... no more than 51% or less than 49%

Last edited by FCardelle : 02-16-2011 at 10:55 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: