Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default What are NBA backboard and rim made of?

I'm planning to make my own basketball hoop to put in the backyard. Does anyone know what material they used in making the backboards and rims in the NBA? Perhaps the thickness as well. Does any of you have any experience making your own basketball hoop?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are NBA backboard and rim made of?

Spalding makes a very good one. Not sure if it's similar to the NBA one, but has the look and feel.

It's what I have in my back yard.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Spalding makes a very good one. Not sure if it's similar to the NBA one, but has the look and feel.

It's what I have in my back yard.
Well, I considered buying one but I thought it's a fun project to make it myself. The good portable hoops cost a lot of money, at least $800. I can make better quality pole for about $100. And I can customize the backboard and rim so it's exactly like in the NBA. But I don't know what it's made of.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

made of love, desire, and passion. that's why it don't break.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
50inchvertical
College star

50inchvertical has an OK reputation so far

fiberglass and metal
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Nelson14
Another All Star Year

Nelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation here

it has to be fiberglass
Nelson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Pinkhearts is considered somewhat coolPinkhearts is considered somewhat coolPinkhearts is considered somewhat cool

Can Fiberglass be made to be transparent?
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
Can Fiberglass be made to be transparent?

Fibreglass is spray painted colours. Yes it can be made clear.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
O BaByShaQ
I hit open layups

O BaByShaQ has no real reputation yet.

You sure u can make yours shaq-proof?
O BaByShaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
novocaine
Decent playground baller

novocaine is considered somewhat coolnovocaine is considered somewhat cool

maybe this will help you:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4779614_buil...backboard.html

also the related articles may give you some inspiration
novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I'm planning to make my own basketball hoop to put in the backyard. Does anyone know what material they used in making the backboards and rims in the NBA? Perhaps the thickness as well. Does any of you have any experience making your own basketball hoop?

For a clear backboard you can use Polycarbonate or Spalding SuperGlassPro which is probably just Tempered Glass

You can get acrylic backboards too, but they nick and scuff easily.

Rims are steel. Then coated with something.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 02-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
sh0wtime

sh0wtime has no real reputation yet.

Such backboards are mostly made out of whats usually called "Plexiglas" i believe, which is a transparent thermoplastic (PMMA, polymethyl methacrylate). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28...ethacrylate%29

But i believe the NBA backboards nowadays are even more advanced, contains more ingredients to make it even better (shatter-resistant) than just your everyday "Plexi/Acrylicglas" backboard, just like KevinNYC said up there. But Plexi/Acrylicglas is great, go for it.

Last edited by sh0wtime : 02-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.
sh0wtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0wtime
It is called "Plexiglas" i believe, which is a transparent thermoplastic (PMMA, polymethyl methacrylate). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28...ethacrylate%29

This. It's plexiglas. I'm 99% sure of that.

Rims, I'm not sure what they're made of. They always call it "iron", but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of reinforced steel so it doesn't wear out very quickly.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
NauruDude
Banned

NauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
made of love, desire, and passion. that's why it don't break.

He's in the all star game!!!
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinJackal
This. It's plexiglas. I'm 99% sure of that.

Why are people always 99% sure on this board about stuff they don't have first-hand knowledge of. Somebody recently was 99% sure that the recent NBA commercials didn't use special effects that they found actors who looked like a young Amare Stoudamire or a young Steve Nash. The young Steve Nash actor also knew how to hit a turnaround three.

It's not plexiglass. It's 1/2 inch of tempered glass an aluminum frame which is then covered by padding. The official NBA backboards are made by Spalding.

Arena® Backboard
Quote:
* Official backboard of the NBA
* ½" tempered glass w/2" border and target
* Meets all FIBA, NCAA, and NFHS specifications

Arena® Goal
Quote:
# Official goal of the NBA
# Factory calibrated to meet rebound elasticity requirements
# Electrostatically powder coated with traditional orange finish

The rims are made with two different alloys of carbon steel. 1018 and 1045

Last edited by KevinNYC : 02-08-2011 at 02:21 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: