Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default This Laker team has all the pieces it needs

Yea that's right, for everyone drooling about Melo let's not forget that this core group of guys has been to 3 straight Finals, something that's only happened a handful of times in NBA history. Not only are the players on this team talented but more importantly they play well together. They have the perfect combination of size(bynum), skill(gasol, kobe), physical toughness (artest, bynum) and mental toughness (fisher, kobe).

Trading artest will mess up the defensive intensity and physical toughness that he brought to this team. Remember that Ariza had a shot at Boston and he didn't do nearly as well or have nearly the amount of impact that Artest has. In a grueling defensive series, I'll take Artest over Sjax and even Melo all day.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: This Laker team has all the pieces it needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
Trading artest will mess up the defensive intensity and physical toughness that he brought to this team. Remember that Ariza had a shot at Boston and he didn't do nearly as well or have nearly the amount of impact that Artest has. In a grueling defensive series, I'll take Artest over Sjax and even Melo all day.
Well Ariza was injured in 2008 so we don't know for sure what he could have done against Boston. Ron was great for us last year (especially against Boston)...but I think he has slacked off this year, after winning his championship.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

..or you can look at it like a GM...

1. This season, we have lost EVERY meaningful game: twice to Spurs, Celts, Dallas, Heat.
2. Boston was not 100% healthy against us in the Finals.
3. Heat appear to be gelling and their big 3 are clearly better than our big 3 and they destroyed us on our home court.
4. Bynum is the X-Factor. If he is a dominant force, then he makes us better than Celts/Heat/Spurs. However, he has not been a consistently dominant force.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo

1. This season, we have lost EVERY meaningful game: twice to Spurs, Celts, Dallas, Heat.
3. Heat appear to be gelling and their big 3 are clearly better than our big 3 and they destroyed us on our home court.
4. Bynum is the X-Factor. If he is a dominant force, then he makes us better than Celts/Heat/Spurs. However, he has not been a consistently dominant force.

Yes I understand that, but again, it's the regular season. This team has been playing together for a very long time, we as well as they know what they can and can not do. This team has already proved that they can play on both sides of the ball, they already know that they can win multiple championships together. Why trade something that you know for an unknown? Sure.. Melo would be great, but it still doesn't address the real problems of the team which is the lack of a better backup defensive PG while giving away our only time-tested strength which is our size and versatility inside.

Gasol and Odom are nice, in fact they are amazing together. But you throw in the possible matchup of Gasol/Bynum, Bynum/Odom or Bynum/Gasol and you have something that no defensive coach can take away from you come playoff time.

Quote:
Well Ariza was injured in 2008 so we don't know for sure what he could have done against Boston. Ron was great for us last year (especially against Boston)...but I think he has slacked off this year, after winning his championship.

He is slacking off during the regular season, but some could also attribute it to growing pains and the integration of himself into a newer more difficult system. Artest is like that ace up your sleeve that you can pull when things get tight come playoff time. It's like that favor that someone owes you which comes up at the most opportune moment. Just look at how Sheed played the regular season and then look at what happened to him come playoff time. Artest is like that, yet without the chemistry-killing ability of other "superstar/star" type players in Melo.

edited: replied to 2nd post, and grammer =/

Last edited by BlueandGold : 02-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yes I understand that, but again, it's the regular season. This team has been playing together for a very long time, we as well as they know what they can and can not do. This team has already proved that they can play on both sides of the ball, they already know that they can win multiple championships together. Why trade something that you know for an unknown? Sure.. Melo would be great, but it still doesn't address the real problems of the team which is the lack of a better backup defensive PG while giving away our only time-tested strength which is our size and versatility inside.

Gasol and Odom are nice, in fact they are amazing together. But you throw in the possible matchup of Gasol/Bynum, Bynum/Odom or Bynum/Gasol and you have something that no defensive can take away from you come playoff time.

nice post fella...
I pretty much agree.

(repped)
(and I have forgotten what had happened between us.
you have had some really good posts the last couple of weeks..
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

think past this year...

kobe is getting older he needs help if the lakers are going to extend his career and make the remaing years on his contract worthwhile

bynum is not a franchise type player

pau is not going to carry the team on his own

role players are sketchy

odom is solid but not franchise level player

the team is getting older it needs an infusion of youth in the starting lineup from somewhere and it's not going to come from the draft... bynum maybe the youngest starter on the floor but he's also the slowest and most prone to be injured
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

guys, can we keep this topic in one thread please? these are good conversations but spreading them out over multiple threads makes it difficult to follow and creates a lot of redundancy...

please, police yourselves on this and use good judgment...

i dont have the ability to move this into the other related thread, but i am tempted to lock this.

this is great dialog, but lets continue it in the right thread.

thanks,

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
think past this year...

kobe is getting older he needs help if the lakers are going to extend his career and make the remaing years on his contract worthwhile

role players are sketchy

the team is getting older it needs an infusion of youth in the starting lineup from somewhere and it's not going to come from the draft... bynum maybe the youngest starter on the floor but he's also the slowest and most prone to be injured

No I definitely understand that, and I was going to bring it up. My philosophy to GMing has always been this: you go for it this year, and this year only. Championships are nearly impossible to come by and so is the speculation of young talent. A lot of teams end up blowing up a team and "infusing" it with younger talent just to realize that the younger talent that they "infused" the team with is worse off than the older cast of characters who might have won a championship one particular year.

You never know what's going to happen in the future, a number of things including career-ending injuries *god forbid could happen. If you already know that you have a team that can win right now, why risk that for a projection of things to come?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
guys, can we keep this topic in one thread please? these are good conversations but spreading them out over multiple threads makes it difficult to follow and creates a lot of redundancy...

i dont have the ability to move this into the other related thread, but i am tempted to lock this.

thanks,

Sorry Mike I didn't mean to spam. Did you mean for me to post this in the Melo trade thread?

Last edited by BlueandGold : 02-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Sorry Mike I didn't mean to spam. Did you mean for me to post this in the Melo trade thread?

definitely not spam.. good stuff.. just it starts to get scattered and people dont know where to look...

i am totally not complaining about the content... i just think it serves us all better in a single thread.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

Quote:
definitely not spam.. good stuff.. just it starts to get scattered and people dont know where to look...

i am totally not complaining about the content... i just think it serves us all better in a single thread.

Ok I hear you, will definitely try to use more discretion next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerLove420
nice post fella...
I pretty much agree.

(repped)
(and I have forgotten what had happened between us.
you have had some really good posts the last couple of weeks..

Thanks, water under the bridge as far I'm concerned.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

thanks,

Why? Its not like the front page is just littered with meaningful threads. Most of those threads haven't been posted on in days/weeks.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Doranku
NBA sixth man of the year

Doranku has an incredible reputation hereDoranku has an incredible reputation hereDoranku has an incredible reputation hereDoranku has an incredible reputation hereDoranku has an incredible reputation hereDoranku has an incredible reputation hereDoranku has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
think past this year...

role players are sketchy

Yeah, the more I started thinking about the future rather than the current year/potential 3-peat, the more sense the trade made. Kobe isn't getting any younger, and once he goes, who will we have to replace him? Artest and Fisher aren't getting younger either, and they'll like leave with Kobe or shortly after.

That leaves us with Blake (who very may well leave/retire as well), Ebanks, Shannon, Caracter, and Walton (again, not getting any younger). We literally have no backcourt youth aside of a few roleplayers. The addition of Melo fixes that. He gives us another franchise wing player for when Kobe leaves/declines to a point where he can longer be the #1 option.

Gasol is also aging, but because his game is largely based on finesse I can see him being effective for a few years (at least) longer than Kobe. A Melo/Gasol duo could keep us contending for 4 or 5 years longer than if we just kept Bynum. I love Bynum, and his potential is through the roof, but the reality is that he just won't become as good or impactful as Carmelo would be with Gasol. A Gasol/Bynum led team is a first or second round at best unless they acquired another all-star wing. A Melo/Gasol duo, however, could likely contend with just a few acquisitions of role players/defenders.

The only part that worries me is how an aging Kobe would play alongside a prime Melo. Because who knows how long Kobe will stay in the league? Would he be comfortable deferring to Melo and accepting his role as a more off the ball player?

Personally, I think the risk there is lower than Bynum's injury risk, but that's just me.
Doranku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

I think the Lakers should go out and get one more big, just in case. All the "old" talk is just trying to cover up what LA is really doing, basically trying to coast through the reg. season. Although I don't like it, it is what it is.

I am really hoping LA tries to get Carl Landry, I have always admired his game, the undersized, give it all you got type 4 man. Sacto is hemmoraging money and LA has the trade exception, and they have a bunch of young bigs they want to get more time. He is on an expiring deal, and half his deal is paid already. In the playoffs, the Lakers will go 3 deep up front, but having that 4th guy might be valuable.

But I vote no on Melo, terrific player, but doesn't give LA anything they are missing on the floor. We don't need another isolation player, if he was an adept passer, then maybe, but the guy is a blackhole on the wing.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
SoCalMike

Quote:
Why? Its not like the front page is just littered with meaningful threads. Most of those threads haven't been posted on in days/weeks.

uhh, because people have been using good judgment... which was my point!

we currently have two threads that are speaking about the same issues, both making good points.. you can pick which one you want or post in both... whatever you want.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:

Wow......you mean take off the rose colored Fanboy glasses and deal with reality???? Gotcha

In other words I agree 100%
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: