Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
kaiteng
EXCITED

Default Re: Egypt Is Free!! Egypt Is Free!!!

Even Mubarak and his cronies are completely out, the new government won't be any better than the old one, still full of corrupt politicians.
kaiteng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
SIANARA MUBARAK - Your reign of terror & blatant neglect for those whom depend on you is no longer. I pity the womb you surfaced from...

But without trying to play the downer card - I have a hunch that whomever steps into office will unfortunately be hand picked by the good ol' US of A...

Under the table of course...
i certainly hope not.

it is very encouraging that we haven't seen any anti-american sentiment in the crowds. hell, one of the leaders of this movement works for Google!

I think if we keep our meddling hands off of this then there is a good chance that this will turn out very well for the west, we need to let the Egyptians decide for themselves.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Wael Ghonim: "this revolution started on the internet. this revolution started on facebook"
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
of course, this would not have been possible if the military didn't restrain themselves.
this. military reaction seems to be a pretty accurate gauge of how successful a government overhaul will be. and the response from military leaders will almost always be rooted in their loyalty to the administration in question, and that loyalty is usually rooted in how 'fair' (read: totally unfair) the administration 'treated' (read: bribed) the military leaders and the funding of their requests. and even then, a military can always make the morally appropriate choice to ignore past association with an administration and refuse to stifle protest anyway. in this case it so happened that they stood aside and let things happen as they happened, but calling it a blueprint for future revolutions is assuming a lot about those future revolutions. which is basically what you said, i know, but i figured it was worth repetition and elaboration.

lol @ the iraqi comparison.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #20
Done_And_Done
D & D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
i certainly hope not.

it is very encouraging that we haven't seen any anti-american sentiment in the crowds. hell, one of the leaders of this movement works for Google!

I think if we keep our meddling hands off of this then there is a good chance that this will turn out very well for the west, we need to let the Egyptians decide for themselves.

Tu-Chez my friend...

Repped
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
rezznor
Nosetradamus

ps. today is the 32nd anniversary of the Iran's Islamic Revolution. I think it will turn out differently this time.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
rezznor
Nosetradamus

The military just announced that they will sack the cabinet and parliament so it looks like the entire regime is out, not just the President. very good news so far.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Wael Ghonim: "this revolution started on the internet. this revolution started on facebook"
i've been convinced by Malcolm Gladwell that all of this Twitter/Facebook revolution crap is just that: nonsense. revolutions have been happening for ages and giving credit to a communications system seems naive at best and insulting at worst. here's the article if you guys are interested, as well as a short follow-up pertaining directly to the Egyptian situation.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler

Look at the home page of CNN...

Just because one guy steps down they are now suddenly free?... Egypt is in for a rude awakening.

LOL and in comes the Muslim Brotherhood.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
ps. today is the 32nd anniversary of the Iran's Islamic Revolution. I think it will turn out differently this time.

One can only hope. But like you said, the military in Iran is a whole other ball of wax.

As for Egypt, I would like to see them go back to the Pharaoh system. Get back to building cool ass pyramids and shit.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i've been convinced by Malcolm Gladwell that all of this Twitter/Facebook revolution crap is just that: nonsense. revolutions have been happening for ages and giving credit to a communications system seems naive at best and insulting at worst. here's the article if you guys are interested, as well as a short follow-up pertaining directly to the Egyptian situation.

i think the internet (and as a result, twitter and fb) has helped to spread information and logistics. it's alot harder to control the news now then it used to be. young people can get different perspectives of the world beyond what the government is feeding them.

i wouldn't give them the lion's share of the credit of course, but it certainly helped.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
Yea... go ask the people of Iraq how great their freedom has been since Saddam left.
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

I hope the people of Egypt get what they want. I wonder how much this will transfer over to other countries.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Done_And_Done
D & D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
One can only hope. But like you said, the military in Iran is a whole other ball of wax.

As for Egypt, I would like to see them go back to the Pharaoh system. Get back to building cool ass pyramids and shit.

LOL Foreal though...

Build some more damn new age sphinxes and shit
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #30
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
Even Mubarak and his cronies are completely out, the new government won't be any better than the old one, still full of corrupt politicians.

I do agree with this.

But there also has to be change. When you have an dictator running the show for 30 years, you cant do worse.
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: