Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Wizards quotes after beating Bucks Feb 9

WIZARDS HEAD COACH FLIP SAUNDERS

On the game:

“Overall we played really well. We rebounded well and beat them by 12 on the glass. JaVale did a great job rebounding for us defensively. The reason why we lose on the road is because we get in really close games and get too comfortable. When you throw away the ball in late game situations, you start to lose trust amongst players. Today we had a couple of bad turnovers but we closed up better than we have. We had two good days of practice and really worked on our defense. JaVale was able to rebound because he was able to stay on the floor and compete. Looking at Andray, even though stat wise it may seem like he didn’t have a great night he kept his composure throughout the game. Sometimes you have to have a win to show people that you are playing better. Now we have some things to talk about, like beating them on the boards and holding them to 43% shooting. We have some things to look at now and work on before Saturday’s game, which should be a good one against the best performing team in the league.”

On Brandon Jennings:

“Even though he had 20 on us, I think John and Kirk worked him really well tonight. They limited his game and kept him to only four assists. They were really able to keep him one-dimensional tonight. They have been dealing with injuries and their roles have been changing a lot lately. Jennings is trying to get back and get his legs under him again and it’s just going to take some time.”

WIZARDS CENTER JAVALE MCGEE

On what he does to develop consistency:

“Just come in and be professional and come in with the same mindset that I did tonight. Just come in and be aggressive on the court, play hard and play right.”

On his game tonight:

“I was just trying to be aggressive on the boards and keep everyone else off the boards and especially box out my man and keep him off the boards.”

WIZARDS FORWARD CARTIER MARTIN

On his shooting tonight:

“I’m confident always. I always feel like I can go out and make shots. The main thing is just go in when I have opportunities and keep shooting the ball.”

On how he prepares for games:

“Just staying ready, being professional. When you’re called on you have to be ready to go in and make an impact.”

On ending the losing streak:

“It feels good getting another win under our belt. We were struggling there for a minute but getting a win gives us a little confidence and gives us a chance to go into this next game against San Antonio with some confidence and trying to carry some things over to their game.”

WIZARDS GUARD NICK YOUNG

On the team’s mentality during this game:

“Just continue playing hard, through every quarter. Different players stepped up and made big shots, and we just fed off each other’s energy.”

On the strategy in the second and third quarter:

“We stayed with it. Stayed consistent, played hard. Each player was out there making big game shots, and we just fed off everybody. The star tonight was Cartier Martin. He did some big things tonight.”

WIZARDS GUARD JOHN WALL

On the team’s strength’s tonight:

“I think we just did everything right tonight. Last game we played them, they outrebounded us, their guards out played us. Tonight we did a great job of stopping them, then rebounding and finishing the game strong.”

On the team’s strengths in tonight’s game:

“Taking care of the ball, I think we really did a great job of that at times. Our big men just rebounded the ball and we stopped their guards today. Last game their guards beat us in the lane anytime and they got any type of shots they wanted, and that’s how they won the game. But we were in Milwaukee. I think we did both of those things well, rebounded the ball and contained their guards.”

BUCKS HEAD COACH SCOTT SKILES

On the game:

“They dominated us on the floor and they out rebounded us, and then we couldn’t get to the line for free throws. We tried to hang on but we just couldn’t, they pretty much out played us all over the floor. They deserved to win. They came out played well and played hard.”

On the Wizards play:

“Nick Young played well and then Martin came in and hit some threes. They hurt us in a lot of different areas. Young had a good game; they had some good defensive possessions and hit some good shots. We didn’t get the help that we needed to at times and they took advantage of that.”

On the Bogut/McGee match-up:

“Bogut got off to a good start but we didn’t get a whole lot out of that match-up. We wanted to go down to the basket a little more and we didn’t take advantage of it. We fell behind so quickly, when we came out they got on top of us and we didn’t respond very well.”

BUCKS CENTER ANDREW BOGUT

On playing another back to back:

“We gave ourselves a chance late, but they looked to beat us. They haven’t played in four days so they rested. We essentially had a back to back to back. We played Detroit then had a day off, then had practice, then yesterday and today. We didn’t bring it tonight, it’s as simple as that. We just didn’t play well.”

On the Wizards performance:

“They penetrated the lane, they got to the basket, they got offensive rebounds, they got tip-ins, they were looking straight for points. You have those games in the NBA sometimes, and they can be awful.”

On their loss:

“That’s part of the game. Sometimes I was open, sometimes I wasn’t. That’s just part of the NBA game. We turned the ball over early, they had a lot of rebounds. We just didn’t play good tonight. We’ve got to move on.”

BUCKS GUARD JOHN SALMONS

On playing better:

“For us to come out like that with no energy, know that we need every game we can get. We need a lot more energy at the beginning of the game and sustain it through the rest.”

On expectations of the team:

“It’s tough. We feel like at the beginning of the season we had a higher expectation, so I feel like we have to make a fresh start now. We had higher expectations.”

BUCKS GUARD BRANDON JENNINGS

On the Wizards pulling away in third quarter:

“We tried to make a run in the second half, of course. We didn’t come out real aggressive in the first five minutes so they kind of took advantage and that’s what made it into a big lead.”

On Nick Young:

“He takes a lot of tough shots, but he hits them. They may not be the best quality shots but they go in so you have to expect it every time. He’s a great player and he played big tonight.”

On the Wizards stopping their comeback:

“We would get it to 12 [points] or even 11 and they would come down and hit a shot or something, a three. We would tilt our heads back and be like, ‘man.’ I think we learned our lesson tonight. We can’t come out sluggish in the beginning. We have to come out a lot of intensity and energy.”

BUCKS FORWARD COREY MAGGETTE

On the game:

“We needed this win tonight. It’s important for us to beat these teams that we are capable of beating. There shouldn’t be a point where we have these fall back games. Not saying that these teams don’t play well at home. If you notice, Washington is a really good team at home. They play extremely well. These are games we need to continue to put us in that playoff race we need to be in. We took a step back and we just got to try to get ready for Memphis to take a step forward again.”
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: