Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #31
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,733
final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default

somebody said something about the balance of power not being fair. black people are a minority... so of course there will not be as many black people as white poeple in overnment/power postitions.

second of all, if black people are allowed to use the word *****, white people should be allowed to. otherwise ban it totally. i undersntand nigg-"er" is offensive no matter what, but nigg"a"? thats just a nother word for "person" or "man". if black people are going to ignore the racist conotations of the word then it has to go both ways. it'd be racist in itself to disallow a certain group of people from saying it and allowing another to say it.

IMO nobody should say it. the whole concept focuses on race and exclusion of white people from the brotherhood of black people.

GOBB stop calling people ignorant. you're just as biased as mathius. no black people don't have the same oppurtunites of white people because of the environment of poverty that surrounds most black people. BUT the black community iisn't doing very much to help itself. where are the martin luther kings of today? where are the the black leaders clamoring for social and economic change?
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 AM   #32
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,733
final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
yeah, when I said white people rule the world I added 'so to speak' which means doent translate it word by word.

In America (where black and white tensions have always been high) white peopel control most things, and the distribution of power has not always been fair, so an insult directed at a group which has been hsitorically marginized in the US (blacks) is going to be a lot more hurtful than an insult direct at those who control the power.

wrong. racial insults hurt regardless of race.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #33
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,733
final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Allen Iverson and his wealthy self would get pulled over by a cop before you and your $12/hr does. Why is that?

because theres a lot higher crime rates for young black males the police are going to target young black males. its the same reason young people are watched for shoplifting in stores closely and old ladies aren't really target for arrest. the police go by logic.

a lot of black people are poor and a lot of them get into crime. its a reality that black people are going to be under suspicion especially if they look as gangsta as allen iverson. it's not some racist conspiracy gobb.

young people in general and any race of person who was wearing thugged out clothing are more likely to be targeted by the police. it may get annoying but if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about right?
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 AM   #34
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,060
JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
because theres a lot higher crime rates for young black males the police are going to target young black males. its the same reason young people are watched for shoplifting in stores closely and old ladies aren't really target for arrest. the police go by logic.

a lot of black people are poor and a lot of them get into crime. its a reality that black people are going to be under suspicion especially if they look as gangsta as allen iverson. it's not some racist conspiracy gobb.

young people in general and any race of person who was wearing thugged out clothing are more likely to be targeted by the police. it may get annoying but if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about right?

what you described is textbook racial profiling.

It is illegal for authorities to conduct their job using this technique, even though instinctively they may behave under such premises.

Why is it bad to assume AI is a thug because of his dress?

It takes the away basic freedoms law abiding citizens are entitled to. It doesn't matter what side of the political argument you are on, the one common denominator in all views of democracy is civil liberty. If I am unfairly judge and harrassed by authorities I am not free and my country is unfairly persecuting me.

you cant quantify and qualify reasons for why it is a good thing (catch more criminals etc...) but at the end of the day if some people's basic liberties are being taken away or infringed upon, especially law abiding citizen unfairly catalogued because of dress or race, it is a bad thing.

And you know what they say about those who assume
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:48 AM   #35
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,733
final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default

cops don't operate on idealism. i'm not saying it's right or wrong, i'm just saying its a fact of how the police and ivestigations in general operate. law enforcement would be much less effective if old ladies got stopped at the same rate as young black males.

i guess you don't live in free country.

Last edited by final.wrath : 12-10-2006 at 05:50 AM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #36
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,060
JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
cops don't operate on idealism. i'm not saying it's right or wrong, i'm just saying its a fact of how the police and ivestigations in general operate.

yeah of course, now you are bringing the discussion to a ridiculously simple level. You can't change how cops think, but you can control how they behave by punishing police for unlawful arrest and harrassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
law enforcement would be much less effective if old ladies got stopped at the same rate as young black males.

again with the oversimplification, dumbing down the talk makes you look dumb. If we stopped every black male because or our race based suspicions we'd be persecuting people because fo the color of their skin. You think that is acceptable? I hope not, but you seem to be making excuses for race based law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
i guess you don't live in free country.

I have no idea what you mean here (I don't believe I live in the DPRK, Vietnam, Laos, China or Cuba, but I will get back to you on that one.

Weren't you the Final.Wrath who used to rap in the Chachi threads?

Perhaps you have been punked or not accepted by black people too many times in your life and now you're angry.

A friend of mine growing up was a textbook '******' in our Lilywhite city and he moved to NY during high school and tried to be 'down' with a lot of black people because he loved hoops and hip hop and everything black culture had to offer so much.
His motives were insincere however (he only loved what 'cool' blacks represented), he never tried to forge real friendships or come to realize what people were really like outside of the preconceived notions he had. Couldn't get himself any black friends, got dissed and laughed at a lot and came back to our town to visit in the summer and he had turned into a hateful kid, "f*ckin n*gger" this and that. It was really shocking to see him act this way, almost like he was letting us know he was no longer the same guy. Are you angry too?

My point to this is he went into it all with a preconceived notion and he was way off. Racial profiling is based on race because racist ideologies put race at the forefront as a reason for why things happen. This is a poor way to conduct business hence,

Racial profiling is wrong and an ineffective tool in law enforcement (there are studies).

These 'young black males' you refer to could have many other common traits other than being black (poor, from a certain area, single parent family, poor student, drop out, no home discipline, held by by system that discriminates etc...). These problems are community in nature, and assuming that because they are black is the reason they are potential criminals is wrong. Yes problems in the black community are larger than they are in other sectors of society, but that is not because they are black it is because of socio-economic realities. If society continues to allow this behavior to exist we are holding back the ones who are being persecuted unjustly. The cycle has to stop for the problem to be fixed and things like this need to stop.

Cops do it, I know, but it is wrong, and they can be prosecuted for it.

Last edited by JtotheIzzo : 12-10-2006 at 06:16 AM.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #37
braden.
Great young streetballer
 
braden.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 184
braden. has decent reputation
Default

I stumbled across this when researching the matter. Found it interesting.

My questions is why are black people four to eight times more likely to commit a violent crime?

Why are 90% of interracial crimes blacks on whites?

Not sure of the accuracy of this, it seems somewhat slanted.

Quote:
I'm not white, but even if i was, I don't think i'd find being called a "soft-ass white boy" or a cracker, to be as offensive as being called a n*****
I would.

What really gets me is how black people can make racial barbs at white people all the time (Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle) and nobody cares, but can you imagine if a white comedian did his act with black stereotypes, the way some black comedies go after white stereotypes?

What's that Bernie mac movie, where he's pissed because his daughter married a white guy? Could you imagine if that were reversed? Never make it onscreen.

So ****ed up.

Last edited by braden. : 12-10-2006 at 09:08 AM.
braden. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #38
hawks4life
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 76
hawks4life has an OK reputation so far
Default

**** racisim we are all just people, just worry about the mexicans border hoppin and everyone will be gravey, ya dig?
hawks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #39
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,214
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

a white person wouldnt get 50 bullets pumped into them for no reason.


not a racist conspiracy with cops targetting young black males? hilarious.

Last edited by GOBB : 12-10-2006 at 01:11 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #40
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braden.
I stumbled across this when researching the matter. Found it interesting.

My questions is why are black people four to eight times more likely to commit a violent crime?

Why are 90% of interracial crimes blacks on whites?

Not sure of the accuracy of this, it seems somewhat slanted.


I would.

What really gets me is how black people can make racial barbs at white people all the time (Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle) and nobody cares, but can you imagine if a white comedian did his act with black stereotypes, the way some black comedies go after white stereotypes?

What's that Bernie mac movie, where he's pissed because his daughter married a white guy? Could you imagine if that were reversed? Never make it onscreen.

So ****ed up.

So, do those comedians often use the term "soft-ass white boys, or crackers?" No. So you can't put a racial joke in the same category as calling someone a nigge*r out of sheer anger and saying what you would've done to them back in the times of slavery.
And you think that no white people make racial jokes? Someone posted this and i'm guessing none of you watched it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPG6zftm3bY

And your last comment about imagine if it were reversed. There have been several movies like that that did make it on screen, you probably just didn't care or want to watch them.

Last edited by bokes15 : 12-10-2006 at 03:47 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #41
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,733
final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
yeah of course, now you are bringing the discussion to a ridiculously simple level. You can't change how cops think, but you can control how they behave by punishing police for unlawful arrest and harrassment

i'm not talking about unlawful arrest and harrasment... i'm talking about cops just targeting black people and "driving while black". all i'm saying is that it's logical for the police to operate in a manner that they will catch the most people. that's why speed traps are in high traffic areas. you can't prosecute cops for doing that. it's not about race its about crime and poverty.

whats the rate of black people being stopped compared to white people? whats the ratio of crime and poverty among black people compared to white people? i'd like to see those two statistics averaged out to get a better picture of racial bias of the police. i think racial bias is miscontrued to be the main reason why black people get stopped more.


Quote:
again with the oversimplification, dumbing down the talk makes you look dumb. If we stopped every black male because or our race based suspicions we'd be persecuting people because fo the color of their skin. You think that is acceptable? I hope not, but you seem to be making excuses for race based law enforcement.

i didn't say black people should be stopped all the time or it was the just thing to do, i was just bringing to light that the reality of the situation is that more black people get stopped because more black people commit crimes. you're trying to twist the issue into "the white man keeping the black man down."

Quote:
I have no idea what you mean here (I don't believe I live in the DPRK, Vietnam, Laos, China or Cuba, but I will get back to you on that one.)
i'm just saying we don't live in the idealized nation of righteous civil liberty you alluded to. you really think there could be a successful suit by the ACLU over this issue?

Quote:
Weren't you the Final.Wrath who used to rap in the Chachi threads?
yeah, what about it?

Quote:
Perhaps you have been punked or not accepted by black people too many times in your life and now you're angry.
now you're being childish. why should I even have to defend myself against this point? can we not have a real discussion about race issues without the white guy getting called an angry biased racist?

Quote:
A friend of mine growing up was a textbook '******' in our Lilywhite city and he moved to NY during high school and tried to be 'down' with a lot of black people because he loved hoops and hip hop and everything black culture had to offer so much.
His motives were insincere however (he only loved what 'cool' blacks represented), he never tried to forge real friendships or come to realize what people were really like outside of the preconceived notions he had. Couldn't get himself any black friends, got dissed and laughed at a lot and came back to our town to visit in the summer and he had turned into a hateful kid, "f*ckin n*gger" this and that. It was really shocking to see him act this way, almost like he was letting us know he was no longer the same guy. Are you angry too?

nice story. you got me. i wish i was black and cool.

Quote:
My point to this is he went into it all with a preconceived notion and he was way off. Racial profiling is based on race because racist ideologies put race at the forefront as a reason for why things happen. This is a poor way to conduct business hence, racial profiling is wrong and an ineffective tool in law enforcement (there are studies).
i'm sorry, but you'll have to show me these studies.

Quote:
These 'young black males' you refer to could have many other common traits other than being black (poor, from a certain area, single parent family, poor student, drop out, no home discipline, held by by system that discriminates etc...). These problems are community in nature, and assuming that because they are black is the reason they are potential criminals is wrong. Yes problems in the black community are larger than they are in other sectors of society, but that is not because they are black it is because of socio-economic realities. If society continues to allow this behavior to exist we are holding back the ones who are being persecuted unjustly. The cycle has to stop for the problem to be fixed and things like this need to stop.

i agree and I thought I had mentioned the socio-economic conditions several times.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #42
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,214
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
So, do those comedians often use the term "soft-ass white boys, or crackers?" No. So you can't put a racial joke in the same category as calling someone a nigge*r out of sheer anger and saying what you would've done to them back in the times of slavery.
And you think that no white people make racial jokes? Someone posted this and i'm guessing none of you watched it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPG6zftm3bY

And your last comment about imagine if it were reversed. There have been several movies like that that did make it on screen, you probably just didn't care or want to watch them.

White people ran TV for years. Dont turn this into a "Why cant whitey do this tho" cry. Get real. Go watch Seinfeld and its all white cast. White people always get offended when blacks do things. "OMG BET, Black Entertainment TV...if we made White TV yall be pissed!". Stop the crying already.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #43
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,733
final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
White people ran TV for years. Dont turn this into a "Why cant whitey do this tho" cry. Get real. Go watch Seinfeld and its all white cast. White people always get offended when blacks do things. "OMG BET, Black Entertainment TV...if we made White TV yall be pissed!". Stop the crying already.

when have you ever heard a white man call himself "whitey"?
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #44
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
White people ran TV for years. Dont turn this into a "Why cant whitey do this tho" cry. Get real. Go watch Seinfeld and its all white cast. White people always get offended when blacks do things. "OMG BET, Black Entertainment TV...if we made White TV yall be pissed!". Stop the crying already.

do you even know who you're arguing with?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #45
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,214
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
do you even know who you're arguing with?

No I dont. Hopefully you're famous.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy