Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #31
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Let's talk about Ed Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Another interesting article I found about Ed Davis. It would seem that trading Bargnani is no longer just a quiet whisper anymore, it could actually happen.

http://www.thestar.com/article/96257...aptors-rebuild

Wow. I've missed Feschuck's writing. The bolded part about how Davis nor anyone else could cover up Bargs' flaws is exactly what most of us have been saying on this forum for months now. Thank God some people in the organization are finally opening their eyes on our one-dimensional center.

Now let's wait for the Bargnani lovers to say how we're all haters, how the whole team should be built to cover up Bargs' flaws, and that our 20 win team will never be good without him.

Last edited by Reef : 03-28-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #32
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

Nice article.

So if Ed Davis pans out, can a front court of him, a starting quality center with Amir Jonhson coming of the bench contend? (btw,I think so).
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himan12
Nice article.

So if Ed Davis pans out, can a front court of him, a starting quality center with Amir Jonhson coming of the bench contend? (btw,I think so).

They'd likely be a playoff team (pending on Davis' progress), but contend? I don't know.

I don't think you can contend with Ed Davis as your best player even if he reaches his full potential. You'd need at least one clear-cut #1 guy, and a lot of good role players (like all teams).

I don't wanna get TOO excited about Ed Davis, but I definitely think he can end up being a productive guy on a great team.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think the article is going too overboard about Ed Davis. But, as a 13th pick that slipped through the cracks, what he's given us has been above and beyond what I hoped/expected of him. And that only stands to get better with more playing time and off-season work. He'll likely never be a #1 on the offensive end, but I see the potential to be a defensive stopper and an anchor in the paint, which is something this team really needs.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #35
Himan12
On the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
They'd likely be a playoff team (pending on Davis' progress), but contend? I don't know.

I don't think you can contend with Ed Davis as your best player even if he reaches his full potential. You'd need at least one clear-cut #1 guy, and a lot of good role players (like all teams).

I don't wanna get TOO excited about Ed Davis, but I definitely think he can end up being a productive guy on a great team.

opps I meant if we had a superstar, could we contend with a front of Davis, quality center and Amir Johnson.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #36
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himan12
opps I meant if we had a superstar, could we contend with a front of Davis, quality center and Amir Johnson.

Well, then I think we'd be close. It would depend on the superstar and, like I said, the quality of role players we had. There's more to a contending team to just 3 main parts.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #37
Himan12
On the clouds

True
Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #38
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Well, then I think we'd be close. It would depend on the superstar and, like I said, the quality of role players we had. There's more to a contending team to just 3 main parts.

I think it depends on what type of superstar we have....I would rather have on at the 3 so we have someone who can rebound somewhat. I wouldn't mind keeping Jose if that were the case. I just think if we had a PG superstar, we wouldn't get far in a shorter span....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #39
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
I think it depends on what type of superstar we have....I would rather have on at the 3 so we have someone who can rebound somewhat. I wouldn't mind keeping Jose if that were the case. I just think if we had a PG superstar, we wouldn't get far in a shorter span....

I think a great point guard is the most important component from a team defense standpoint in today's game (and thus development towards a championship level team), we're watching an era develop dominated by super athletic point guards (Wall, Westbrook, Rondo, Rose, Paul, Williams, etc), you absolutely need a point guard who can stop players from penetrating the defense because after that happens, everything breaks down.

If we could add a similarly talented young point guard to those above (obviously easier said then done, but say, Kyrie Irving), then I think we are on a much better path. The game is increasingly permieter oriented to me, while getting a franchise 3 would be great, I don't think it's as valuable as a point guard. It's much easier to find a quality 3 - just look at the rumours, Philidelphia wanted to dump Igoudala, Indiana rumours of dumping Granger, etc. - you never see teams dumping quality point guards.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #40
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^^ I agree with that. We could live without a star 3. That's not to say that it'd be easy to win with an average 3, but at least somebody who's a good perimeter defender and can knock down an open 3, kind of like a Ron Artest. Then if we had a superstar at point, an improved (hopefully) Derozan, Artest type of player, Ed Davis, and an above average Center, we actually might be looking quite good.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #41
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
you never see teams dumping quality point guards.

Deron Williams anyone?

Seriously tho, I agree to what you said.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #42
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I think the future will become much clearer after this coming draft. We have the opportunity to add a player (Or two dependent on trades) that will be a part of this team long-term to add to our core of DeMar and Ed. We have some decent young bench players in Amir, J. Johnson and maybe Bayless for the future but everyone else should go.

Let Reggie, Weems, Ajinca, Wright and Dorsey all walk. They are not part of this team long term.

Calderon, Bargnani and Kleiza should be traded for expirers and picks as well (Sorry FC, Doko and lilbeastnani). I like Barbosa even though he wins this team games sometimes. Let him expire next season or trade him for a pick before the deadline.

I really don't hope we draft another PF because we already have Davis and Amir as our combo tandem at that position. Irving won't be on the board at #5 unfortunately, so I'm really hoping that Barnes is still available.. even though he reminds me of Al-Farouq Aminu and I don't think he will transition to the NBA very well at first.

Kanter could also very well be our center of the future even though he is undersized a bit. A Davis-Kanter frontcourt could end up being very good since they both love to bang down-low and they both have soft hands.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #43
bokes15
Playoffs!

That's both exciting and scary at the same time. Exciting because we have an opportunity to get a fresh, young, talented core and basically press the reset button on this franchise and start a true rebuilding mode. But scary because the possibility of BC being in charge of this, given his history, makes me worry that all off this promise will be squandered, the wrong pick will be made, and that a few years from now Ed Davis, Derozan and whoever else will bolt for another team.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #44
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Yeah I agree with that. But what scares me the most is that Colangelo's contract is still up in the air and all this talk will take place around draft time. I really want us to make the right pick this year and I hate that his extension will be a huge distraction around this time.

I also feel like this team gets screwed over every year they have a lottery pick. A lot of good players are saying that they are staying in college because of the potential NBA lockout. This means we will be missing out on players, like the Kevin Love-esque, Jared Sullinger who has said he will be returning to Ohio State next season.

There is a lot of uncertainty coming up to this years draft and it makes me uneasy as well not knowing who will declare. Also, I feel as though whoever is in charge will pick a project European player like Montiejunas or Vesely and we will be set back yet another year in rebuilding.

To keep this post more Ed Davis-focused, those two players I previously mentioned would be even more redundant of our Davis-Amir & Bargnani frontcourt IMO (Especially if Bargs isn`t traded).
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #45
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
There is a lot of uncertainty coming up to this years draft and it makes me uneasy as well not knowing who will declare. Also, I feel as though whoever is in charge will pick a project European player like Montiejunas or Vesely and we will be set back yet another year in rebuilding.

Calderon, Bargnani and Kleiza should be traded for expirers and picks as well (Sorry FC, Doko and lilbeastnani). I like Barbosa even though he wins this team games sometimes. Let him expire next season or trade him for a pick before the deadline.
It's ok... at least you are being clear in that you don't want European players in the team.
But it surprises me because I thought your family is from Croatia... I guess you are living your American Dream...
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: