Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
actually they are still under contract, they are considered valid in the case of a lockout... the only way the contracts can be voided is if the union decertifies itself, then if the contracts were actually void, then the players would lose their health insurance and any money in the pension funds the owners have addd to

this was an area of contention in the last nfl strike and a court upheld that despite there being a lockout all parties were still held to any contracts they were under... strikes and lockouts are treated as work stoppages not actions that void past deals made because the lockout or strike concerns the future
huh, everything I have seen suggests that they will be able to play for other leagues under FIBA during a lockout.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #17
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
nope. IIRC nba contracts are under fiba jurisdiction, as fiba doesnt actually run any of the leagues. but thats besides the point. The nba players are not under contract in the event of a lockout. it would be the same as nba players signing foreign ballers who's contracts had expired or under a lockout.

Contracts aren't voided during a lockout. Not sure where you're getting that info. If a European club under the FIBA umbrella signed an NBA player under contract (during a lockout) it would be a slap in the face to the NBA, and would have future reprecussions.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
huh, everything I have seen suggests that they will be able to play for other leagues under FIBA during a lockout.
they can the just need FIBA and the team they are under contract to agree to waive the current rule that says that FIBA teams and NBA teams will not poach each others players... it's not just a simple case of an nba player signing a contract with a euro team and killing some time overseas until the strike ends... there are and can be ramifications if he does it...

the thing is though if that player gets hurt playing in a non sanctioned NBA game his NBA supplied health insurance will not cover it because it's very specific about non NBA activities and if it's career ending his NBA contract can be voided.. so the question for any player is it worth taking a chance and throwing away all that to play in europe for a month or two or even a season?

a good source for all this is larry coon the salary cap guru on his twitter account, he's been knee deep in this for weeks now and on any given day will have 50 posts on all this...

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

If Euro league games are similar to the Olympics, I'll be so stoked to see NBA players participating. I personally like the Olympic style game much better than the NBA, for these reasons..

1 - More contact allowed
2 - Less superstar calls, and fouls in general
3 - Shorter game (only 40 minutes)
4 - Shorter game (WAY less commercials, no TV timeouts, etc.
5 - More teamwork, though NBA players may change that if several get on one team.

Don't get me wrong, I like the NBA better because we have the better players. But NBA players + FIBA game style? That's my dream come true

Only question is, would the games be easily available for American fans to watch? I'm guessing ESPN won't participate, but perhaps there's a league pass equivalent for euroleague..
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Contracts aren't voided during a lockout. Not sure where you're getting that info. If a European club under the FIBA umbrella signed an NBA player under contract (during a lockout) it would be a slap in the face to the NBA, and would have future reprecussions.
I never said they were voided, but neither are they under contract (they arent getting paid). Its my understanding (and has been since before this stern interview) that they have every right to go earn a living during the lockout.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Funnyfuka
National High School Star

Funnyfuka is starting to rub some people the wrong way

poor retard...they ll just rest and enjoy their millions . They re not going to move to ****ing europe you stupid clown.
Funnyfuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this board

Quote:
This doesn't change the fact that the leagues are going to respect each others contracts. If FIBA starts poaching NBA players during a lockout, then the NBA will never honor FIBA contracts again. I doubt FIBA Basketball is looking to go to war with the NBA.

Now that I think about it, the NBA would probably love it if FIBA ignored their contracts and let a few guys play in Europe during a lockout. This would mean the NBA is free to poach players from around the world without worrying about their contracts.

You are totally delusional. Stop trolling.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this boardEuroleague is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
actually they are still under contract, they are considered valid in the case of a lockout... the only way the contracts can be voided is if the union decertifies itself, then if the contracts were actually void, then the players would lose their health insurance and any money in the pension funds the owners have addd to

this was an area of contention in the last nfl strike and a court upheld that despite there being a lockout all parties were still held to any contracts they were under... strikes and lockouts are treated as work stoppages not actions that void past deals made because the lockout or strike concerns the future

No matter how many times you try to place your BS spin on this, the FACT is that FIBA has NEVER recognized any contract that is not currently being paid.

The fact that you keep arguing about this just shows pure xenophobia.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #24
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:

How many times does this have to be explained to you? FIBA's rules state that no contract is honored by them if it is not currently paying the player and/or his agent.

You are just making up pure fiction.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #25
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
they can the just need FIBA and the team they are under contract to agree to waive the current rule that says that FIBA teams and NBA teams will not poach each others players

For about the tenth time, FIBA has never at any time honored a contract that is not being paid. The very first payment that an NBA player misses all those "rules" and "agreements" are automatically voided.

You keep talking about "FIBA rules" like you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't have the first clue.

1. The NBA is under FIBA as well, not just "Europe".

2. FIBA does not actually have any legal control of any contracts for the clubs. Not in the NBA, not the European clubs.

3. The European clubs are under the European court, NOT FIBA for legal matters.

4. FIBA is there to hold a tribunal and/or arbitration. The rules of FIBA are CLEAR. If an NBA team does not pay a player then all FIBA "arrangements" and "rules" that you keep talking about that they supposedly can't sign an NBA player are immediately voided.

Where the hell are some of you getting this ridiculous BS idea that a European club cannot sign a player whose contract with the NBA is legally in breach because of no payment?

Seriously, some people here are so uneducated it is just pathetic. The very instant some NBA team tried to block this the European court would immediately rule in favor of the player/agent and the European team because the NBA is in breach of contract with the player and/or his agent and is also in breach of their agreement with FIBA.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #26
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
If Euro league games are similar to the Olympics, I'll be so stoked to see NBA players participating. I personally like the Olympic style game much better than the NBA, for these reasons..

1 - More contact allowed
2 - Less superstar calls, and fouls in general
3 - Shorter game (only 40 minutes)
4 - Shorter game (WAY less commercials, no TV timeouts, etc.
5 - More teamwork, though NBA players may change that if several get on one team.

Don't get me wrong, I like the NBA better because we have the better players. But NBA players + FIBA game style? That's my dream come true

Only question is, would the games be easily available for American fans to watch? I'm guessing ESPN won't participate, but perhaps there's a league pass equivalent for euroleague..

The Euroleague is far more physical than the Olympics.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #27
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I think FIBA could care less about any 'repercussions'. You are seriously overestimating the 'power' the NBA has in this.

You know what the main difference is here? If the NBA players aren't getting paid they can legally do pretty much anything they want. And the NBA couldn't do shit about it, if the NBA starts up again they would still have to honor the contracts of those players.

Now you might say 'The NBA will never honor FIBA contracts again', but do you really understand what you are saying with this?
If the NBA signs a player who is under contract by a FIBA team, that NBA team and the player would actually be breaking the law. This would not at all be in the best interest of the NBA, let alone the player.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #28
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

Lol, why would the NBA try to block this? They've been trying to expand overseas every chance they get. Having their superstars play over there on another teams dime sounds great to them probably. Then when the CBA war is over, all of them come back and the overseas fans have to watch the NBA if they want to see these players again. It's like having someone pay for the privilege of advertising your product.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #29
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

FIBA rules require teams honor contracts signed in other leagues. A lockout is considered a work stoppage, and has ZERO effect on current contracts.

You guys can keep having pipe dreams about NBA players playing in Europe during a lockout, but it isn't going to happen.

As for Lakas, look man, you're the biggest clown on this site, and one of the biggest tools I've ever encountered on the internet. Nothing you say ever comes true, and yet you continue to spew nonsense. I've honestly never met anyone who is more consistantly wrong about a particular subject in my entire life. Get a grip homie.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #30
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyfuka
poor retard...they ll just rest and enjoy their millions . They re not going to move to ****ing europe you stupid clown.
A lot of players don't have those millions. Guys that have been getting the minimum their whole careers, non-guaranteed contract players, and players that haven't been saving will all be compelled to get on with somebody somewhere so that they can pay bills.

This could actually be very interesting. We could see some weird scenarios like Bryant and Ray Allen on the same team.

But I doubt many stars that have saved a lot and have big contracts do this, if they get injured playing for a different team it may invalidate their NBA deal, and getting an insurance policy for their NBA deal independently probably won't be worth the hassle for the guys that have been and are being paid tens of millions. I see it being more something that guys with small contracts, second round pick-types go for.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: