Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default body physique and basketball

Hi, I really need some ways to improve my physique because i think it is effecting me alot in basketball. I have a short torso and skinny,long legs, kinda longish arms and lanky, and my waist is very small too. Is there anyway to make my legs stronger so i have a stronger core and to bulk up a bit for basketball? and i need ways to be faster and quicker
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: body physique and basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underballer
Hi, I really need some ways to improve my physique because i think it is effecting me alot in basketball. I have a short torso and skinny,long legs, kinda longish arms and lanky, and my waist is very small too. Is there anyway to make my legs stronger so i have a stronger core and to bulk up a bit for basketball? and i need ways to be faster and quicker

Weight training, stick to the basics and you will see improvements. Squats, bench, rows and dead lifts should be the core of your workouts.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459321&cr=
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way

diet?
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

Try not to bench press a whole lot. It's not good for basketball to be real bulky around the chest. Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and a lot of leg exercises is all you need. But if you need to add weight, you also need to eat a lot. Just try to make sure its relatively healthy though.
The formula is simple, work out hard and eat, eat, eat throughout the day.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Funnyfuka
National High School Star

Funnyfuka is starting to rub some people the wrong way

i do biceps curls, sits up and dips 4/5 hours a week since 10 years and i have the perfect beach body which is exactly what is optimal for bball. Being an ectomorph or mesomorph helps obviously cause im able to eat whatever i want i never get fat.

i do not advise exercices like bench press which in the long run destroy shoulders . Again there s a balance between heavy lifting -absolutely unecessary for bbal or other sports- and not training enough (wi fit...)
Funnyfuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

J21 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Try not to bench press a whole lot. It's not good for basketball to be real bulky around the chest.
Why exactly?? I find upper body strength to be extremely useful when battling in the paint
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21
Why exactly?? I find upper body strength to be extremely useful when battling in the paint

Well, by the way he described himself, he doesn't seem to be a post player. Having a huge chest tends to limit your arm mobility, but everyone's got their own preferences.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyfuka
i do biceps curls, sits up and dips 4/5 hours a week since 10 years and i have the perfect beach body which is exactly what is optimal for bball. Being an ectomorph or mesomorph helps obviously cause im able to eat whatever i want i never get fat.

i do not advise exercices like bench press which in the long run destroy shoulders . Again there s a balance between heavy lifting -absolutely unecessary for bbal or other sports- and not training enough (wi fit...)

I think with dumbbells bench you will be okay as long as you take breaks every few months. I would not recommend doing barbell bench ever it really does mess up your shoulders.

Battling in the post is about leg and core strength. It helps to have a lot of weight to throw around, but it's hard on the knees and inefficient in every other aspect of the game besides battling on the low block. Keep it moderate on the upper body and go hard on the lower and core.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

J21 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Well, by the way he described himself, he doesn't seem to be a post player. Having a huge chest tends to limit your arm mobility, but everyone's got their own preferences.
well you'd still have to train regularly for several years to achieve that type of chest bulk:)
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21
well you'd still have to train regularly for several years to achieve that type of chest bulk:)

Depends. Depends on the body type. Shorter arms will generally mean bigger chest bulk because you can do more weight (shorter distance). Look at Dwight, his chest is pretty big, but his shoulders and triceps are massive because his arms are so damn long.

As long as you stretch regularly tho, unless you just want to get all body builder, you will maintain most of your flexibility. Yoga combined with Weight training is the best damn thing you can do if you are an athlete.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: