Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #46
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Melo trade instantly made me think about BC

Any my point is that the Boston situation isn't the same as the Miami or NY situation. We'll see if Miami will "sort itself out" in the playoffs. I personally think that Boston, Chicago, and Orlando could take them out, but especially Boston.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #47
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Any my point is that the Boston situation isn't the same as the Miami or NY situation. We'll see if Miami will "sort itself out" in the playoffs. I personally think that Boston, Chicago, and Orlando could take them out, but especially Boston.

I definitely think that Boston takes the East. But this is just year one for Miami. Pretty great inagural season so far with all the new faces. Another offseason of people wanting to be a part of something special...time will tell.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #48
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I definitely think that Boston takes the East. But this is just year one for Miami. Pretty great inagural season so far with all the new faces. Another offseason of people wanting to be a part of something special...time will tell.
And that's another thing. You might like the "superfriends" era but in general I don't. I liked how it was back in the 80s and 90s where everyone wasn't buddy buddy and they liked having a lot of competition rather than gutting a team to play with their friends and make it easier on themselves.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #49
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
And that's another thing. You might like the "superfriends" era but in general I don't. I liked how it was back in the 80s and 90s where everyone wasn't buddy buddy and they liked having a lot of competition rather than gutting a team to play with their friends and make it easier on themselves.

No, I actually don't like the current NBA much at all. Should have said 'players' not people.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #50
bokes15
Playoffs!

I feel like Miami (and eventually NY) is gonna go a long way towards proving that the Boston scenario was an exception rather than a rule. Boston had a case of the perfect storm. 3 hungry veterans who fit together perfectly, two young guys with potential, one of which developed into an all-star calibur player and beyond, and another who developed into one of the top defensive centers in the league. The most successful teams we've seen in the past for the most part were those who built solidly and patiently through the draft and the trade market without going for the big home run hit by getting the biggest names at all costs regardless of fit or depth.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #51
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

how come no one is acknowledging the value of chauncey billups.
the guy is a key component to the trade.
champion calibre pg.

if they can resign him at a fraction of the cost and go after a centre (forget about cp and dwil) they will be in great shape. Don't even need an allstar, just a solid guy will do.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amare
Centre

Looks like a solid team to me.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #52
bokes15
Playoffs!

A solid team? Yes. A championship team? In my opinion, no. Orlando and Atlanta are solid teams, but come playoff time they never seem to have a legit shot at it.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #53
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
A solid team? Yes. A championship team? In my opinion, no. Orlando and Atlanta are solid teams, but come playoff time they never seem to have a legit shot at it.

rumors have ny going after camby.

I'd take
billups, fields, melo, amare and camby over the magic or hawks.
Still nowhere near boston but getting closer.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #54
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
rumors have ny going after camby.

I'd take
billups, fields, melo, amare and camby over the magic or hawks.
Still nowhere near boston but getting closer.
The way I see the East right now, even after the trade is.

1. Boston

2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. Orlando
5. Atlanta
6. NY

Pretty much the same as it was before. But with 4/5/6 potentially being interchangable but still a definite notch below Boston, Chicago, and Miami.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #55
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

If nothing unpredictable happens, Miami and Chicago will be ahead of NY for the next five years or more.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #56
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Chandler and Gallinari are solid but they both play the same position. The rest of the deal is quantity over quality for Denver. I'm honestly not that impressed. Hopefully Denver is smart enough to give Lawson a real shot and see what he has rather than playing Felton.

Not that I'm defending BC or anything, he's an awful GM. I just don't think Denver's haul is that impressive personnel-wise.

Yeah same here. I'm not really understanding this whole blowing out of proportion of what Denver got in return. Rather unspectacular if you ask me. Felton doesn't really make sense considering that Lawson should be getting the major minutes now. Like you said, Chandler and Gallinari are solid players, but they're just that, solid players. Nothing too impressive. To me Mozgov is nothing special at all, just over hyped by NY fans.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 AM   #57
bokes15
Playoffs!

I'll tell you exactly why the trade is "blown out of proportion." When you trade a guy like Melo, there's no such thing as equal value. If anyone thinks so they are kidding themselves. So, the best route IMO is to get cheap young pieces in addition to draft picks and that's exactly what they did. Chandler/Gallinari/Felton and possibly even Mozgov could be great young complimentary pieces, they aren't paid very much, plus they receive multiple draft picks. So that gives you either A. good pieces and cap space for you to add a star player, B. an opportunity to draft a star player, or C. trading chips to acquire one. There's not much more you can ask for, especially when you are clearly going into rebuilding mode.

Last edited by bokes15 : 02-24-2011 at 03:34 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: