Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Raps Trade for James Johnson

Quote:
Bulls trade forward James Johnson to Raptors for a second round draft pick, source said.

From Bruce Arthur:

Quote:
James Johnson per 36 minutes, career: 12.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.2 spg, 2.1 bpg, .446 FG%, .687 FT%. Proviso: he's averaged 11.3 minutes.

Barn burner, this one.

Last edited by RaininThrees : 02-22-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Too many johnsons
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Raps Trade for James Johnson

I'd play him over Wright (I think everybody has a good handle on what kind of player he is by now) and Weems' time seems to be running out. So much mediocrity at the position right now though...
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The pick is Miami's first rounder.

My initial reaction:

Prove me wrong, ISH.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
The pick is Miami's first rounder.

My initial reaction:

Prove me wrong, ISH.

Yup http://twitter.com/ArtGarcia_NBA

Quote:
Bulls trade F James Johnson to Raptors for Heat's 2011 first-round pick held by Toronto.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

I must add, my is now being combined with a healthy dose of "meh".

Fan apathy at its finest right here.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

good move.

Quote:
NBA Comparison: Danny Granger/Ryan Gomes

Strengths: Extremely skilled and versatile forward … Great physical package, combining size, strength, athleticism and an impressive 7’1 wingspan.

His frame is very nicely developed, with strong shoulders and a wide base …He has a very refined scoring touch and knows how to put the ball in the basket.

Proved that he is very comfortable handling the ball in all situations, including in transition while going full speed and still keeping his head up, looking to make plays … Has shown that he excels in a point forward role, where he can use his playmaking ability to create for teammates and himself.

He has advanced moves off the dribble; hesitation, crossover, spins, in& outs as well as nice ability to make a second counter move … Has a lot of confidence in his outside shot, and proved that he has range beyond the college 3 … … Operates nicely out of the triple threat, where he utilizes a good shot fake as well as long jabs that get the defender off balance.

His game is extremely potent out of the mid to high post where he can face up and attack or back people down … He is very comfortable going to and finishing with both hands … Using his size and length while attacking, he is able to protect the ball and finish with extreme efficiency … He’s good at keeping his balance while attacking contact, which gives him a good chance to convert in traffic and against help defense.

Has become very confident operating on the block with his back to the basket … His wide base allows him to get good position, where he can seal and receive the ball very deep … He has nice patience inside, a variety of moves and extremely good footwork which makes him a difficult match up … Can effectively turn to both shoulders … Uses a nice spin move, where he covers a lot of ground but can still keep his balance … Is very aggressive going to the glass, and likes crashing the O glass.

Weaknesses
:

Has battled inconsistency throughout his career … Does not show up to play every night and has stretches where he disappears completely, not only as a scorer but in other facets as well.

Is a bit heavy legged which limits his 1st step … His shooting numbers have improved but he is still a very streaky and somewhat inconsistent shooter from the outside … He takes a lot of bad shots early in the shot clock and out of the offense.

Settles from the outside, and does not always get to the basket … Goes for the homerun play and forces the action too often, especially in transition when he attacks even without numbers …. Needs to learn to control the tempo better, and mix the pace up.

Defensively, he doesn’t move well laterally and is foul prone, but with his length and physical package he should be able to overcome … Continues to shoot a mediocre percentage from the line (69%) …

edit: 1st rounder??? WTF

Last edited by BRabbiT : 02-22-2011 at 06:31 PM.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
NBA Comparison: Danny Granger/Ryan Gomes
What? Ok so i'm trying to figure out is that article trying to say he's like a combination of the two? Because if not, one is significantly worse than the other and I wouldn't trade away even a late first rounder for Ryan Gomes.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
jasonresno
Banned

jasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hey, coming from a Bulls fan I think this trade is beneficial to everyone. JJ is a good hearted guy, not disruptive or a head case. He's young and he's an athletic freak. All he needs are minutes and he'll turn into a good young player.

I'll be watching TOR games from now on.
jasonresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Miami's 1st rounder is nothing great. Unless the Raptors could have used it as an asset in a bigger deal, I'm ok with this trade.

VERY late 1st rounders (like this pick will be) are not good. It just gives a guaranteed contract to a player that likely will not be on the roster for long. An early 2nd round pick is actually better.

The Raptors had a hard-on for Johnson (heh) before the draft so this doesn't surprise me. If Johnson plays well then maybe the Raptors have a young controllable player that can give them some good minutes at SF. If he stinks then oh well, the Raptors have no long-term commitment to him. I just hope he gets the chance to play so we can see what he has. The Raptors are already bungling a situation like this with Bayless.

Players like Davis, Bayless and now Johnson should be getting as much playing time as possible. What's the point of having young unproven players if you aren't going to find out what you have in them? It's not like there is a playoff race to consider.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

This is a horrendous trade. I'd MUCH rather take a chance on any first rounder then to take on a guy who has proven nothing in the NBA. What a disaster.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
jasonresno
Banned

jasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
This is a horrendous trade. I'd MUCH rather take a chance on any first rounder then to take on a guy who has proven nothing in the NBA. What a disaster.
Look at JJs minutes when he has played. He dropped 30, I think, in a spot start early this year. He almost won a game last year when the Bulls were heavily injured.

Like I said: Dude needs minutes and coaching, he'll be good.

But yeah, anywhoot just my two cents.
jasonresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

At the very least, Chicago has had a lot of depth at that position the last couple of years so it is kind of like a Julian Wright type trade where Wright had a few seasons without much burn before being dealt.

I would still prefer a pick to a guy who's really soured as a prospect (not a young guy for a sophomore too). For all the criticisms the front office takes, they do a pretty good job drafting at the slot they're given. Nothing spectacular so far but no huge busts.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

What's the difference between Miami's first or our 2nd round draft pick? maybe like 7 picks. Not a big difference when we're talking about late picks. James Johnson has potential, he can rebound a little bit. I wouldn't mind if we kept it, but don't think you're going to get anyone better than James Johnson at number 28 or number 29 in the draft. The dude is young, can rebound a bit, has potential, Raptors liked him before the draft, it's a good value trade. You don't have any commitments to him, he doesn't cost you much if he sucks. Bulls just didn't have a spot to play him at; they're looking to contend. As long as he gets minutes on the court, I think this is a solid trade.

Also, Colangelo did say that the Raptors' were looking to dangle that Miami pick, I guess this was it...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
What's the difference between Miami's first or our 2nd round draft pick? maybe like 7 picks. Not a big difference when we're talking about late picks. James Johnson has potential, he can rebound a little bit. I wouldn't mind if we kept it, but don't think you're going to get anyone better than James Johnson at number 28 or number 29 in the draft. The dude is young, can rebound a bit, has potential, Raptors liked him before the draft, it's a good value trade. You don't have any commitments to him, he doesn't cost you much if he sucks. Bulls just didn't have a spot to play him at; they're looking to contend. As long as he gets minutes on the court, I think this is a solid trade.

Also, Colangelo did say that the Raptors' were looking to dangle that Miami pick, I guess this was it...

Yes, the fact that Miami's 1st rounder will be so high makes this make more sense.

Thinking about it, I'd rather trade that pick and get a known commodity. I hereby retract the facepalm.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If it's the Raptors 2nd pick (not from another team via trade) then I'd rather have that than a very low 1st rounder when considering guaranteed contracts and such.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: