Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #31
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: Raps Trade for James Johnson

Solid move. Something for complete uncertaintly.

The only potential "nay say" might be the arguement that Miami's 28 and Toronto's # 4 could be parleyed into Number 1 to get Irving or Barnes if you think that is / was possible. This also presumes that these 2 players are head and shoulders above eerything else and exactly what you need to win (debatable - Toronto obviously needs more).

I can't wait for end of season and summer league. I am really really intrigued to see the performace and chemistry of a line up of:

Bayliss - 1
Derozan - 2
Johnson - 3
Davis - 4
Ajinca - 5

Could be some pretty exciting ball. Up tempo (fast) young atheletic and a lot of fun.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

You know that Johnson is a D-league player, right?
I mean, signing D-league players and busts is easy. BC doen't deserve any kind of credit for that, nor it is a "solid move" in principle.
When one of those players becomes a solid starter then he'll deserve the credit. (it wouldn't compensate for ruining the team anyway)
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
baller03
Kids at the park dunk on me

baller03 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
I mean, signing D-league players and busts is easy. BC doen't deserve any kind of credit for that, nor it is a "solid move" in principle.
When one of those players becomes a solid starter then he'll deserve the credit. (it wouldn't compensate for ruining the team anyway)

from my knowledge he played 8 games in the d league and avg 19 pts (not that this is anythign special). but the reason he was playing in the d league was becuz the bulls are stacked and he wasn't playing. lets not bash this move unless we see how he can play. i honestly think he can provide alot if he plays like a "dejuan blair" type of player. remember evans is a goner at the end of this year, he can surely step in and fill some of his minutes.
baller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:

Davis played in D League for conditioning as well.

Does that make him a D leaguer?

Not by a long shot.

Raptors took another shot on a D Leaguer not so long ago. Jamero Moon. Guy is playing with the Cavs now and by all accounts holding himself pretty well.

There are career d leaguers and other guys down there for conditioning, time, rehab, or on the rise.

But I think you know better and about the difference .
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

James Johnson is in his second year and he was healthy. He just isn't good enough to make the Bulls roster.
You can compare him to Moon, but not to Davis. BTW finding a role player like Moon is the only good thing that BC did. Not too much. I hope Johnson can be a role player also (and also Ajinca, Bayless etc.)
All I say is that BC doesn't deserve credit for getting some D-players and busts to play for the Raptors. If they prove to be valid players, then yes, give BC credit for selecting them. And you don't need to waste a late first round pick to give a chance to a player that seems to be a bust.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #36
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm glad to see JJ go somewhere, that he can get minutes.

He's not a scrub, works hard, plays hard, and lost a ton of weight this off-season(for those who are going off OLD information.)

The problem with Johnson, wasn't his play, but his placement. He's a small-forward in a power-forwards body, but he plays low to the ground like a guard, sans the guards ability to bring the ball up the court regularly. Where do you play a guy like this in the NBA? Sounds great, but in reality, you need to play a transition set, to really see JJ shine.

And like it was said earlier, he almost won a game last season for us. This season, he SINGLE HANDEDLY carried the team to go into overtime, and beat the Suns. That was an incredible performance, but he didnt see any real minutes, other than garbage time, for the next month!
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #37
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

**** Melo and D-will. We got James Johnson
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #38
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Interesting footnote.

In the nbadraft.net mock draft of 2009 they projected james johnson to be selected 9th overall by the Toronto Raptors (one spot ahead of Derozan).

Not that it means anything, just thought it was anecdotal.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #39
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Interesting footnote.

In the nbadraft.net mock draft of 2009 they projected james johnson to be selected 9th overall by the Toronto Raptors (one spot ahead of Derozan).

Not that it means anything, just thought it was anecdotal.

I remember hearing that BC was high on this kid during draft time and there was talk about us getting him at 9th.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #40
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Kind of a meh whatever type deal for me. He hasn't shown much of anything so far in the NBA, but he's still young and has some potential. Miami's pick wasn't going to be anything special anyways so I don't know why people are distraught over it. A James Johnson type player is likely what you'll get with such a low pick.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #41
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
James Johnson is in his second year and he was healthy. He just isn't good enough to make the Bulls roster.
You can compare him to Moon, but not to Davis. BTW finding a role player like Moon is the only good thing that BC did. Not too much. I hope Johnson can be a role player also (and also Ajinca, Bayless etc.)
All I say is that BC doesn't deserve credit for getting some D-players and busts to play for the Raptors. If they prove to be valid players, then yes, give BC credit for selecting them. And you don't need to waste a late first round pick to give a chance to a player that seems to be a bust.

Sorry man I completely completely disagree.

Johnson, Baylis were both first round draft choices in the mids - not the end.

They didnt get drafted there because of mass hypnosis.

There are always example on teams where they draft a talented player who just doesnt work in their system and goes on the exceed in another situation. I mean for gods sake Brett Farve was a scrub in Atlanta but was a hall of famer practically the next year in Green Bay. Even here in the Raptors we have seen it - both ways. AD was a "good piece" in Indiana - became a focus point in the Raptors offense. We had Camby as a draft pick for 2 seasons who would never average 10 or 11 rpg but built a career eventually doing so. Shariff Abdur Rahiem could walk on water with the Griz... never heard of again.

A 28th round first round "might be" better than Johnson. Might be worse than Johnson. Might be the same as Johnson.

At this point we completely eliminated all the "what might be's" in favor of certainty.

Solid move.

Now between Baylis, Derozan, Johnson, and Davis we have mid to high first round draft picks from the past 3-5 years. All of those guys are very young and play and up tempo game from the US college system. They all have flaws as well - but they are all in the first few years of their careers. The question is can we coach them to excel in Toronto as a nucleus?? Maybe - time will tell. Looks solid to me .

Bottom line is there is a nucleus of talent here of "solid moves". Not outstanding , not awe inspriring, not extend BC for 10 years at the very top of the GM payscale.

I will at least be excited to see this nucleus develop and be excited to see what they will add this draft and next.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #42
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
**** Melo and D-will. We got James Johnson

that's a good way to get motivated about the Raps. Look I see alot of people have beef about getting JJ. I watched him last night and he played pretty good for his first game as a Raptor. Give him time. He may be the surprise of T.O.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #43
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

I love this move we gave up a nothing pick at 28-30 with salary obligations to take a young good player. He also had a few pretty good games with the Bulls if I remember when he got time. If you watched him play college ball you know the guy is a baller and just waiting to be developed. Good point forward type. Can score in many ways ...athletic long, well above average defender tough attitude. Every player comes with flaws but this was a no brainer move and I honestly think in 3-5 yr he will be a very big part of what the Raps and should be starting right now till the end of the year. Clearly better than sonny or Wright at the three. I'll also be honest I've liked JJ game since WF...so I'm bias...hahaha
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #44
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
I love this move we gave up a nothing pick at 28-30 with salary obligations to take a young good player. He also had a few pretty good games with the Bulls if I remember when he got time. If you watched him play college ball you know the guy is a baller and just waiting to be developed. Good point forward type. Can score in many ways ...athletic long, well above average defender tough attitude. Every player comes with flaws but this was a no brainer move and I honestly think in 3-5 yr he will be a very big part of what the Raps and should be starting right now till the end of the year. Clearly better than sonny or Wright at the three. I'll also be honest I've liked JJ game since WF...so I'm bias...hahaha

He played well in his first game with the raps last night. I was quite pleased!
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #45
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

So now if you're not getting 20-10 by the start of your second year you're a bust?

Now Ajinca is a bust, but Johnson has potential and no one can reasonably say this was a whack move at this point.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: