Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default Re: Deron Will to Nets ... There is a PG of the future !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I rest my case.
So you don't think that a team with Dwill, zach randolf and brook lopez is better than the NJ team of the past 2 years?

Add in a marginal player like rip hamilton plus travis outlaw.

Looks like a very good team to me (5 seed?).

That should be enough to resign dwill.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I didn't ask if they'd be better, I asked if they'd be a legit championship contender.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Okay, so Knicks, Boston and now Nets coming into the picture.

P.s. - Now we know we're going to beat out the Nets in the lottery race...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The reason the Knicks will be good but not elite is because they still aren't good defensively. Amar'e and Melo have the same problem in that regard, which I feel will get exposed by either Miami, Chicago, or Boston come playoff time.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Does Al Jeff or Paul Millsap become available now?
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Does Al Jeff or Paul Millsap become available now?
Even if they are, we have nothing to offer them unless we're willing to part with Bargnani.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This deal angers me. If Raptors fans want to complain about "what Colangelo should have done", look at this deal and not the Carmelo Anthony deal. I'm not saying that the Raptors could have gotten Deron Williams either, don't jump on that. It's just an example of exactly what the Raptors should have been looking to do years ago.

The Nets are obviously making this deal with a "we think we can win now" mentality. Whether or not that's a correct assessment of their situation, I don't know. The Raptors should have done the same thing years ago when they had a budding All-Star PF and made some veteran moves to round out the roster (Parker, Rasho, Garbo). Brook Lopez is nowhere near as good as Chris Bosh was so that's where I question a bit what the Nets ceiling will be with Williams added to him. I also really like Favors as a prospect and thought he'd be good fit beside Lopez if he panned out.

If you think you have the starting point of a winning team, this is how you leverage an unproven and young high draft pick as an asset. So what happened when the Raptors were in a similar but better (Bosh >> Lopez) situation a couple years ago? They used their first overall pick on a PF and kept him to the day when the established All-Star PF left. Instead of choosing to do a similar deal to leverage the, assumed, high value Bargnani had early in his career plus other assets to get a star beside Bosh. Even without having any evidence to prove it, I can guarantee you the Raptors never tried to this. I'd bet my life on it. The same plan should have been done if they drafted Aldridge since he's a PF too. On the Nets it still might questionable because a player of Favors' style is what you want beside Lopez. The Raptors didn't even have this dilemma! The young high draft pick they got played the exact same position as their main guy!

Instead, the Raptors waffled and decided "hey, we'll try to win now by adding vetaran role-players but we also want to develop the young player who plays the exact same position as our star". They didn't fully commit to either plan and decided to straddle the "middle line" which firmly kept the Raptors as a team with a ceiling of mediocrity . Maybe Colangelo's plan was to have a replacement ready for Bosh 4 years down the road. Or he thought that Bosh/Bargnani could have actually worked out. I can't think of any other "plan". Either way, he's a moron.

So to summarize: Fuck you Bryan Colangelo. Rot in hell.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #23
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Same with the NY deal, I can't fault the Nets for doing this. Yes a lot will depend on if Dwill signs, but there is still time. The new CBA will most likely have rules that make is easier for teams to keep their players (Franchise tag etc like NFL) and they have money to burn this offseason I think. Plus the move, owner with very deep pockets. Good day to be a Net fan. I was not high on Favours at all....seems destined to be Tyrus Thomas 2.0....not a bad thing but certainly not a franchise changer.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
So to summarize: **** you Bryan Colangelo. Rot in hell.
You are an angry bitter man.

There is a LOT to be hopeful for with this team, despite your constant negativity always bringing down this board. We have Bargnani who is one of the top scorers in the league, Demar Derozan is emerging as a terrific young talent and he's only 21 years old. Ed Davis is a budding star in the making, and Amir has been solid as of late. Plus we're gonna have cap room at the end of the season and a top draft pick. Man look at the bright side once in awhile. Jeez.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani

There is a LOT to be hopeful for with this team, despite your constant negativity always bringing down this board. We have Bargnani who is one of the top scorers in the league, Demar Derozan is emerging as a terrific young talent and he's only 21 years old. Ed Davis is a budding star in the making, and Amir has been solid as of late. Plus we're gonna have cap room at the end of the season and a top draft pick. Man look at the bright side once in awhile. Jeez.

Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #26
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani

A lot of times you have to look at the fit also man. Think about it. Even best case scenario. Bargnani, Ed Davis, and Amir still play the same position. Not only that, Bargnani and Amir make 16 million and Calderon another 9-10 mil. That's a lot of money tied to players that don't fit your squad. If you have a point who doesn't play D and a big who doesn't play D; you can't be a contending team. What does that mean? They have to go! If they don't go, we won't be successful, and you're stuck in the middle. You're no better than a Detroit who'll be mediocre for years to come because of all the sh!tty contracts they have tied up.

I like parts of the team, but the overall picture isn't pretty. I like DeMar, I think you can contend if he's your starting SG of the future. I think Ed Davis can be a solid big for a contending team; he fits our squad. Amir can be a serviceable big. You can get by with Amir and Ed as bigs if you have a superstar at SF and PG, but if you get a chance to upgrade the bigs, you do it.

I think Andrea would fit a veteran club looking for a 6th man. You need his scoring punch, you can throw him in there. But if he's the guy you're building around, that's trouble...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #27
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

The Raps are suddenly going to be in what could be the best division (Southeast, Celtics, Knicks, Nets) of the league...
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #28
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Even if they are, we have nothing to offer them unless we're willing to part with Bargnani.

They need somebody to replace Mehmet Okur. Who better than Okur 2.0
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I like parts of the team, but the overall picture isn't pretty. I like DeMar, I think you can contend if he's your starting SG of the future. I think Ed Davis can be a solid big for a contending team; he fits our squad. Amir can be a serviceable big. You can get by with Amir and Ed as bigs if you have a superstar at SF and PG, but if you get a chance to upgrade the bigs, you do it.

Nice post.

I said in the other post on Johnson - I like the youth squad of the team. Davis Derozan Bayliss Johnson. They are all mid to high 1st rounders of the last 3 years. I think that if you equate the Bosh leaving to this nucleus in 3 years - its pretty solid. Not spectacular - just very solid. Given minutes and maturity I am actually very hopeful. Not without flaws - but I like the core. Not all hall of fame but ...Pistons championship team redux (circa GHill leaving for the Magic all those yeasr ago).

Admitted bias - type of team I like.

The other pieces (including the American born pieces not just the Euro players) is the rest of the picture that needs to be tinkered with. Amir Weems Barges Jose Barb Kliza. They are actually almost another team. I dont know if you can design an offense around the 4 young gunners with these pieces here. I doubt it.

(Amir is here admitedly longer term to spell Davis and mentor him. Amirs contract was just such a deal and why we payed him so much to stay. Ed and Amir are the 4s of the next 5 years)

Upgrades in any or all these areas via trades or even a "chance" to get the right piece is okay with me ; but I am now committed to patience where as earlier in the season I was less so. I wanted a reaction "move trade" to compete for 8th and make the playoffs (win now).

Now I like the 4 and more (to come)

Seriously if Portland was willing to do a deal for Oden and something for Barges and something - I would take a shot at it. Oden with the 4 young guys "might be" unbelievable. Barges would be excellently suited to play off bench and rotate with Aldridge/Camby.

Last edited by Jballer : 02-24-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #30
bokes15
Playoffs!

Just what I said yesterday even before I saw this quote.

Quote:
"It all depends on how the next year goes," Williams said on Thursday during his introductory news conference at the Nets practice facility in East Rutherford.

"I'm just looking forward to the opportunity right now," said Williams, who was joined by general manager Billy King and coach Avery Johnson. "I can't really give any assurances. I don't know what the future holds."

"It's going to be a tough situation, it's going to be a tough year," Williams said. "I won't know what I'm going to do until then so I can't give you guys an answer."

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about a team that was 17-40," he said.

I mean yeah they have a possibility to sign him but it's a definite risk.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: