Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #16
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
cp3 is looking at ny and seeing his pals joining forces, and i bet he cant wait to join em. hope cp3 can stay healthy
He will be ok.

I think he will have some comp from Deron Williams.

I don't see how the Nets can convince him to stay.

They can't do it with the draft.

There really aren't any prime free agents this summer.

Only Centers and they have Brook already.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #17
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Provided we get Paul,I would like to see the Nets retain DWill.It'll be a good look for them.Brooklyn is sacrificing alot and taking a huge risk with that new stadium.It would suck for them to start out as a struggling franchise.Im always going to be a Knicks guy but at the end of the day,they will be NYers and i dont wanna see my city struggle.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #18
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Provided we get Paul,I would like to see the Nets retain DWill.It'll be a good look for them.Brooklyn is sacrificing alot and taking a huge risk with that new stadium.It would suck for them to start out as a struggling franchise.Im always going to be a Knicks guy but at the end of the day,they will be NYers and i dont wanna see my city struggle.

I don't want the Nets in Brooklyn at all, but they're coming, oh well.

I can see Deron and Dwight in LA.

Dwight wants to pull a Shaw and movies and stuff.

Deron didn't wanna leave the Western conference, let alone Utah.

That's the only team that no matter what the cap situation looks like can afford them.

They could do Bynum for Howard literally straight up.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Yea.BTW My purpose for the thread wasn't anger because he's not a Knick.I am just really still in shock.The trade came literally out of nowhere and quite frankly it doesnt make much sense.
To me it makes perfect sense.

Unlike what happened with Carlos Boozer the Jazz decided to be proactive and make their move now. Move a free agent to be before he can hijack trade negotiations. The Jazz just got a one time all star guard who has, at least, 6 good years left in the tank, a promising PF prospect with some explosion to his game, and two first rounders which are guaranteed to be valuable.

The Nets are taking a gamble but it is only a moderate risk. The story is that Deron Williams and his ego are tired of playing in obscurity. The Nets are banking on Williams loving the attention of playing right outside New York and wanting to become the face of Brooklyn as they open the new arena with a "Deron Williams Re-signing press conference".

Now granted I'm not sure of the smarts of the Nets executives, so if Williams isn't driven by ego they may just twiddle their thumbs until they lose him, the way Cleveland did with LeBron. However, if they are smart they announce (back channels of course) that they are open to trade deadline trades for Williams or sign and trades in the off-season. That way they still get something for Williams.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yea but a whole year before hand?They didnt even test the market to see what they could get.I find it hard to believe that that's the most you can get for arguably the best pg in the league.Favors is promising but still raw and unproven + you already have a big man in Jefferson who doesn't pass.Devin Harris is a clear downgrade at pg.The pick this year is in a draft that's weak as hell and the pick next year is protected.I can think of a few trades off top that woulda been better than what they got.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

By making the move a year in advanced you take Deron Williams input out the equation. Williams can not "Carmelo" his way onto a team of his liking. He simply has to go where sent.

Utah got a VERY good package. Two draft picks that a re guaranteed to be high, a promising prospect, and a talented PG. Sure PG is downgraded but no matter who they got back it was arguably going to be a down grade.

I seriously don't see a better, realistic, trade package that Utah could have gotten back.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #22
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I disagree.they coulda did something this summer or around the draft before it even became an issue.Every1 wants to talk about the superstars messin up the league.The GMs are messin up the league.Its gotten to the point where these small market teams get content when they strike gold and get a superstar in the draft.Then they get @ least 3 years to surround him with winning talent.Instead,they BS with decent role players and when those guys get fed up they wanna cry wolf.How about doing your job and making it to where your franchise players want to stay i.e. OKC.How about when the final year of your star player's contract approaches,instead of giving him up n tryna "get something for him" you try equally as hard to go out and get players to compliment him and get him to want to stay.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #23
Da KO King

Quote:
I disagree.they coulda did something this summer or around the draft before it even became an issue.Every1 wants to talk about the superstars messin up the league.The GMs are messin up the league....
The GM/Owners are messing up the league... but Utah did the right thing.

If you wait until his final year to move Deron Williams, then Williams can hijack the trade. Say he'll only sign extensions with certain teams, say he only wants to play with certain players, etc. It makes working out the deal a pain in the ass and usually guarantees you don't get a return package you can build from. The ONLY reason the Nuggets were able to get such a good package from the Knicks is that they had the impending lockout and new CBA as leverage. Utah would not have that as leverage in the summer because with the lockout there would be a freeze on player movement until after the new CBA was in place.

As for keeping Williams, the guy wanted out and was going to leave. Utah say the writing on the wall and did the smart thing. Get what you can and move on. They did what all small market teams with a "star" who is looking for greener pastures should do. Kevin Durant would have stayed in Oklahoma even if the team stunk. That is simply the kinda guy he is. Hell, Durant went to Texas because they were the first school to recruit him extensively and he felt he "owed" them.

Small market clubs simply can not afford to run their teams the way NY, Chi, LA, or Bos do. Trying to do so is why Minnesota struggled to build with Kevin Garnett. They simply do not generate the income needed to afford a contending team built around a mega-contract player.

Those small teams need to develop a NBA equivalent of the "moneyball" system Billy Beane and the Oakland A's created (great book even if you are not a baseball guy).

Last edited by Da KO King : 02-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: