Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
T-Low
College superstar

Default Re: Good win over the Bulls

Bayless really got on my nerves yesterday. He commit a lot more problems on offense that turned into a lot of fast break points for Chicago. We need someone better at the point because Bayless isn't cutting it off the bench. Finally, Calderon is doing a great job (minus the defense) and we have no one to help him out?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Bayless really got on my nerves yesterday. He commit a lot more problems on offense that turned into a lot of fast break points for Chicago. We need someone better at the point because Bayless isn't cutting it off the bench. Finally, Calderon is doing a great job (minus the defense) and we have no one to help him out?

Agreed, IMO hes is a decent 2 guard in this league, too bad he is stuck in a 1's body.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I don't see how Bayless is any less of a PG than Tony Parker. Obviously he's not as talented but they're the same style of player. You can be a productive PG and not be a pass-first type guy.

The problem with Bayless is his shot selection. I don't mind him taking a lot of shots, just not the long jumpers and 3's which he has proven to be bad at. Also he needs to be a bit smarter with his dribble penetration. Sometimes he's out of control or gets stuck too deep with nowhere to go. (how many sexual innuendos in those last couple sentences?)
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

First game I've attended at the ACC. 1-0 with a win over a good team I'll save my next visit for when we are a good team lol.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
First game I've attended at the ACC. 1-0 with a win over a good team I'll save my next visit for when we are a good team lol.

Same bro. I was up in the so called nose bleeds but there really isn't any to be honest. I went with the college though.

But on the topic of Bayless and Parker, when it comes to Parker, you have another player like Duncan who has been a good passer over his career. Parkers assists (6.6) have gone up and he has only had one better season (08-09) with assists (6.9) and that was the season he was putting up all star numbers (22.0 PPG - only season over 20).

What I am trying to say is, when Bayless is on the floor, we don't get those assists. And we don't have that big man or any other person to get those dimes out. We need a distributor on the floor at all times. Our bench guy won't be as good as our starter, but we still need someone who can get that ball to the guy inside or get the ball to an open guy at all times. Without that person, it is 5 guys, trying to setup themselves. Sometimes isn't bad but when it is every single play?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
LOL, you think Calderon was the reason Rose had a bad shooting game? Did you even watch the game? Did you not see Rose getting in the paint at will in the 4th quarter? It was the help defense from Amir, Davis and JJ that made him miss or get blocked on his drives.
His defense was much better than other games against Rose. I said it was "decent", not excellent. Calderon can't prevent Rose from getting to the paint, but he can make it difficult enough to give a chance to the help defence.

Quote:
Bargs shot 7-19...ya real good night. 8 rebounds, wow!! He should be averaging AT LEAST that. He's had 1 double-double the entire season. Pathetic. This guy's rebounding is so god-awful pathetic that now we think an 8 rebound night from our starting C is good?
I take that 7-19 as a good thing because the defense from Chicago (Gibson, Noah...) was very hard. He found different ways to score even so. After watching a game like this you can't negate that he is a versatile scorer.

Quote:
As usual, you ignore Amir, who also had a bad rebounding game but was 8-8 from the field and of course DeMar who took control in the 4th, demanded the ball, and scored the same number of point as your beloved Bargs but more efficiently. Funny how you forget to always mention them as being important.
Most of those 8 buckets were assists from Calderon, and the rest were put-backs. Nice job, but I wouldn't call it a key player.
I have to give credit to DeMar. He is improving quickly. He is an athletic slasher that can score through contact. He is still limited though and in the fourth quarter, when the defense is harder and the lanes close, he finds it difficult to score. Then you see that a player like Barbosa is still at another level.

Sorry, as much as you can hate this, the Raptors rely on International players. You'd better assume this, because it is the future of this team. At least International players re-sign for the Raptors at the right price.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
His defense was much better than other games against Rose. I said it was "decent", not excellent. Calderon can't prevent Rose from getting to the paint, but he can make it difficult enough to give a chance to the help defence.

I take that 7-19 as a good thing because the defense from Chicago (Gibson, Noah...) was very hard. He found different ways to score even so. After watching a game like this you can't negate that he is a versatile scorer.

Most of those 8 buckets were assists from Calderon, and the rest were put-backs. Nice job, but I wouldn't call it a key player.
I have to give credit to DeMar. He is improving quickly. He is an athletic slasher that can score through contact. He is still limited though and in the fourth quarter, when the defense is harder and the lanes close, he finds it difficult to score. Then you see that a player like Barbosa is still at another level.

Sorry, as much as you can hate this, the Raptors rely on International players. You'd better assume this, because it is the future of this team. At least International players re-sign for the Raptors at the right price.

why is this kid making this into an international love fest again? who gives a damn where someone is from? Something is seriously wrong with you and the way you think. You are an oversensitive delusional kid that has taken it upon himself to be the leader of the international world. just stop with your bias.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #23
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I don't see how Bayless is any less of a PG than Tony Parker. Obviously he's not as talented but they're the same style of player. You can be a productive PG and not be a pass-first type guy.

The problem with Bayless is his shot selection. I don't mind him taking a lot of shots, just not the long jumpers and 3's which he has proven to be bad at. Also he needs to be a bit smarter with his dribble penetration. Sometimes he's out of control or gets stuck too deep with nowhere to go. (how many sexual innuendos in those last couple sentences?)

Nice points.

I like Baylis because of the foot speed and potential which is both a blessing and a curse.

He is admittedly one of those 1-2 tweeners.

If we had a really talented young 1 Balylis would serve off the bench as 6th man ideally - change of pace guy - and could rotate through the 1 and 2 positions over 28 minutes without any let down ....

...assuming he gets his shot selection maturity and reaches his potential (i.e. a midling 1st rounder as a solid NBA player)
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #24
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:

Well all these players have peaked and have "led" the Raptors to a 28% winning percentage. Not much of an achievement. The fact that the Raps' good young players are American is just a correlation, there's no prejudice here as already mentioned. Say what you want about Bargnani's scoring 'versatility", it's still predicated on jumpshots which doesn't usually translate to any major improvements (unless the NBA falls for those pump fakes even more for some reason).
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #25
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:

Bosh and Vince both re-signed in Toronto.

Toronto didn't build a winner around either in 6 and 7 years, respectively.

That's on management.

Build a winner, they will come. In fact, Grange makes this point (though speaking about NBA rules around free agency) in the Globe a day or two ago:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...articlecontent
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #26
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
why is this kid making this into an international love fest again? who gives a damn where someone is from? Something is seriously wrong with you and the way you think. You are an oversensitive delusional kid that has taken it upon himself to be the leader of the international world. just stop with your bias.

Not sure. Pretty sure none of us care where the players are from as long as they actually contribute something positive to the team. And the fact that this kid is making it seem like the Europeans are being severely underrated as they are who we "rely" on is a joke.

Calderon, Klezia, Bargnani, Barbosa.. have all reached their potential and are "leading" us to such a great record.

The fact of the matter is that our core for the future is American players.. not because they are better then Europeans.. but because they have talent and potential that makes them easy pieces to build around.. Unlike our 7 foot small forward..
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
Reef
College star

Quote:

It was not decent. His D is never decent. He may give a decent effort, but that doesn't make him a decent defender.

Quote:

7-19 is NEVER a good thing. How can you even justify that? If it was DeMar or Amir who shot like that, you'd say they shot like crap. At what point does it become a bad performance? 7-25? 7-30? This is the thing you don't understand, most of us here DON"T GIVE A FU.CK about his scoring. We want the rebounding (more than 1 double-double a year) and defense!! I'd much rather have him average 15 and 12 than 22 and 5.

Quote:

I saw Amir make a jumper, hook shots, drive to the basket. You have a very selective memory. Even putbacks take effort because you have to rebound, but of course, you don't care about that. Amir wasn't a key player? Did you not see his help defense? Did you not see his 2 steals and 3 blocks? See that's the problem. You only look at the number of points scored. You don't pay attention to the shooting percentage, or the defense or rebounding. Defense is just as important as offense. That's why Amir is more valuable to this team than Bargnani and that's why he was mujch more of a key player in this win than Bargnani.

Did you not see in the 4th that DeMar was taking it to the basket every time he had the ball so that he could initiate contact? He was drawing a foul almost every possession.

Quote:

I don't mind us relying on International players but they have to be at least average on defense and need to rebound. This team is not going anywhere with the one-dimensional players we have. As other posters mentioned, Bosh and Vince did re-sign but the GM's at the time did nothing to surround them with talent so they got frustrated and left.

Last edited by Reef : 02-25-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: