Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Black Magic
I brick open layups

Black Magic has an OK reputation so far
Default what does it mean to buy a player out?

I've seen that alot recentley and I have no idea what that means.. What does it mean for a team to buy out a player like the cavs wanting to buy out baron davis for example?
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
LastChanceToWin
Banned

LastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: what does it mean to buy a player out?

If the Cavs buy out Baron Davis, they will pay a portion of his contract, and he will end up as a free agent -- who could be picked up by any team in the league.

Last edited by LastChanceToWin : 02-25-2011 at 12:46 AM.
LastChanceToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Say a player is owed $24 million over the next two years.

The team would offer to pay $22 million (as an example, the actual buy-out depends on negotiations) right now, and release the player. Said player could then sign with another team, get more PT, play in a more favorable environment, and make up the $2 million less with the other team(s).

Saves the original team $2 million in real money and salary cap money, and the player that agrees to be bought out gets what he wants (different team, more PT, chance at a ring)
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Black Magic
I brick open layups

Black Magic has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Say a player is owed $24 million over the next two years.

The team would offer to pay $22 million (as an example, the actual buy-out depends on negotiations) right now, and release the player. Said player could then sign with another team, get more PT, play in a more favorable environment, and make up the $2 million less with the other team(s).

Saves the original team $2 million in real money and salary cap money, and the player that agrees to be bought out gets what he wants (different team, more PT, chance at a ring)

thanks alot for both of you two... so let me get this straight the Cavs only would save 2Mill if they bought out Davis?
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

depends on what the player and the team negotiate. if it is mutually beneficial to both sides, most times they can't agree so a player just stays put.
Crown&Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
magmo68
I airball my layups

magmo68 has an OK reputation so far

back home to LA he will go...but with a championship in mind
magmo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

NewYorkNoPicks has decent reputationNewYorkNoPicks has decent reputation

i was always under the impression that buying out a players contract only saves them real money but not anything on the salary cap.

Like if Barons contract has 30 million left and you buy him out for 25, you save 5 million in real money, but the whole 30 (lets assume 15 a year) still counts against the cap. Am i wrong?
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
i was always under the impression that buying out a players contract only saves them real money but not anything on the salary cap.
U are correct.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
thanks alot for both of you two... so let me get this straight the Cavs only would save 2Mill if they bought out Davis?

It was just an example, bro.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
its up to the player, he can set it as low as he wants or if hes really not serious about it he can try to ask for all of it
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
imlmf
Banned

imlmf has decent reputationimlmf has decent reputation

if cavs was going to buy him out, then why trade for him in the first place?

so cavs buy him out for let's say 22 mil, for just 1 year of play and next year he's going to be a free agent? that doesn't make sense to me
imlmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #12
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Does the brought-out salary still impact the team's salary cap?
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
DeronMillsap
Banned

DeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlmf
if cavs was going to buy him out, then why trade for him in the first place?

so cavs buy him out for let's say 22 mil, for just 1 year of play and next year he's going to be a free agent? that doesn't make sense to me
1st round draft pick come with Davis as well.

You have to factor in Mo's contract too, it makes up for some of Davis' contract and so did Moon's 3 million for this season. So the Cavs are actually only losing about $5 million on Davis if he buyouts.

So it was basically a Moon trade for a 2011 1st round pick if you break it down. I think, that's correct.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: