Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Our bigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Rebounding is entirely the effort of the player.

D'antoni's thinking is, if the team had hit half of those 50 shots the missed, they wouldn't have gotten outrebounded so bad.

That's true and false.

From a math prospective more made shots = less rebounds.

That's why Boston is dead last in rebounding, pace and one of the best shooting teams in the League.

But when you give up 20 second chance points, that's effort.

We need a Center that is willing to that paint work and get those boards off missed shots.

That will clear up alot.

Barron could fill that bill, along with Jeffries, and I figure they will both be here within a week.

I hope you are right.
Because if we continue to play like this (with no bigs) it simply won't work for us.

Barron is 7'0 and Jeffries is 6'11.

We need some size.

Barron averaged 12/11 last year with the Knicks.

Last edited by Clutch : 02-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Another reason for the rebounding problem: Hustle.

This defense tends to collapse on dribble drives which opens up three point opportunities for the other team. Rebounds from long range shots often bounce further away from the rim, therefore there are more loose balls. Other teams simply outhustle the Knicks, they want it more.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

Even if you had a prime shaq or d-howard if you watch the games how many players are in the box to be in position to rebound. The team doesnt play D outside of its role players (Billups I can forgive because he is older and has bad lateral movements.) Yes rebounding and defense is about effort but if your coach doesnt address those issues in practice or doesnt hold players accountable for not doing it then whats the point?

I agree that the knicks have no size but people talking about JJ is utterly ridiculous as if he gets boards. He isnt a talented player and he has no skills or specialties to garner such attention. He has never been a double digit rebounder and he has never been stout in the middle. Please give me a break people.

The Knicks have to cut a player to add either JJ or Barron. It doesnt look like they are inclined to add Barron. I think they are waiting to see what players get cut and bought out first before making a move. If Kaz isnt healthy right now although he said he was available since wednesday he and Mason can go. They need to go get 2 big guys. As long as Dumbtoni has a say in what players he wants he is going to desire a jumpshooting PF tweener for the middle.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Rebounding is a natural talent, effort and skill.

On this level you either can do it or you can't.

Take Zach Randolph and David Lee.

Would you expect them to stop rebounding, wherever they go?

Did Zach Randolph stop rebounding when he came to the Knicks?

No.

This team relies on it's offense to carry it through.

The new acquisitions will only improve the offense.

I have never seen a team constantly switch on defense like the Knicks do.

Now that is coaching.

Either they are told to do, or not being told what defensive schemes they are to use.

Defensively, the new guys look like the old guys.

Lost on defense.

But it's still just two games in.

Similar to how Miami took around 20 games to get it good, it will take this team a similar amount of time.

Then add that the team isn't complete either, so it will take time.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

But it's still just two games in.

Similar to how Miami took around 20 games to get it good, it will take this team a similar amount of time.

Then add that the team isn't complete either, so it will take time.

Knicks and Miami are very similar teams.
2 amazing players (Wade,LeBron,Melo and Amare) and excellent 3rd option (Bosh and Billups).
They both need a good center and a deeper bench.

Only difference between us and Heat is that they PLAY DEFENSE.
LeBron and Wade are one of the best defenders on their position while Melo and Amare are average at best.
And it's not only about players,I'm sure Spoelstra cares about defense much more than D'Antoni.

I really don't expect that they will dominate like Miami does.
Maybe next season if we get a legit center and fire D'Antoni if it's possible.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Knicks and Miami are very similar teams.
2 amazing players (Wade,LeBron,Melo and Amare) and excellent 3rd option (Bosh and Billups).
They both need a good center and a deeper bench.

Only difference between us and Heat is that they PLAY DEFENSE.
LeBron and Wade are one of the best defenders on their position while Melo and Amare are average at best.
And it's not only about players,I'm sure Spoelstra cares about defense much more than D'Antoni.

I really don't expect that they will dominate like Miami does.
Maybe next season if we get a legit center and fire D'Antoni if it's possible.

Take a look at what LeBron and Wade have had for coaching, then look at Melo and Amar'e.

LeBron has had Mike Brown, an excellent defensive coach, who came from Pop's system in San Antonio.

Wade has had Riley, Stan and now Spoelstra.

Melo has never had a defensive coach, Amar'e only one season.

And now they don't have one.

But I truly believe that acquiring a big man or two, who can camp down low and only have to box out and rebound will clean up a vast amount of the Knicks deficiencies.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
Clutch
Stop flopping

Quote:
Take a look at what LeBron and Wade have had for coaching, then look at Melo and Amar'e.

LeBron has had Mike Brown, an excellent defensive coach, who came from Pop's system in San Antonio.

Wade has had Riley, Stan and now Spoelstra.

Melo has never had a defensive coach, Amar'e only one season.

And now they don't have one.

But I truly believe that acquiring a big man or two, who can camp down low and only have to box out and rebound will clean up a vast amount of the Knicks deficiencies.
I don't want to think why Melo and Stoudemire aren't good defenders.
It isn't important.
They aren't and they probably won't be good defenders.
That's all what matters.

I also agree that a good center will make a big difference but with D'Antoni as our head coach I don't think we can make anything.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I understand that it's an effort. Whatever the players can get after they will, I'm sure Mike doesn't flat out tell his players no defense just pure offense. Players naturally should have defense in their mind & game. With that said, we should focus on it during FA. If we don't bring people who can rebound & be a force on the court defensively, I don't see us going past anyone who can out rebound us & have a defensive mind set.

I like his run & gun ability to coach, but we have Billups who cannot keep up with that pace, it's also hurting Fields. His gameplay seems to tuned down after Felton is gone. I think we need to work on getting a better back up for Billups, Douglas has to do, along with the bench scrubs. If you aint using them, make room wtf.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #24
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What I dont get is why defense has just become a topic of concern for some of you?I dont recall us being a good defensive team before the trade.Now we get a superstar and we wanna nitpick about him not playing D.Last time I check he's been in the playoffs regularly since he was a rookie and none of the guys we traded has been more than once.Bottom line is,we aren't winning a ring this year but we've laid the foundation for a championship team.All we need is a pg and a center and we can start our quest.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
What I dont get is why defense has just become a topic of concern for some of you?I dont recall us being a good defensive team before the trade.Now we get a superstar and we wanna nitpick about him not playing D.Last time I check he's been in the playoffs regularly since he was a rookie and none of the guys we traded has been more than once.Bottom line is,we aren't winning a ring this year but we've laid the foundation for a championship team.All we need is a pg and a center and we can start our quest.
That's pretty much the gist of it.

I think deep down there are some who just want to stay mediocre.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #26
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

We have to be realistic for the now. We have no real Center. We will make it to the playoffs but it will be an early out. I accept that and I am ok with this. Better than where the NYK were for the last 10 years. Next pre-season we can really pick the team apart because I am sure it will have alot of new role players.

For now let's get in JJ and Barron. Right now we need big bodies. Walsh this is a no-brainer. Barron.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #27
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
You dont get to championships by your best players playing one side of the court.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: