Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #31
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays 2011 Season Thread

Stoked for the Jays on TV at 1. Very interested to see Lawrie and Snider out there. I think Gose is slated to play too.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #32
T.O.RapsJays
Go Jays/Raptors!!

T.O.RapsJays has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Stoked for the Jays on TV at 1. Very interested to see Lawrie and Snider out there. I think Gose is slated to play too.
Copied from Jays' site forum
As per Wilner's tweets, the lineups are:

Jays:

Patterson CF
Escobar - SS
Bautista - 3b
Snider - DH
Encarnacion - 1b
Thames - LF
Davis - RF
Arencibia - C
McCoy - 2b

SP - Romero followed by (in no particular order) Frank Francisco Jon Rauch, Carlos Villanueva and, for two innings, Zach Stewart.

Other Jays available for the game are Ryan Budde, Travis D’Arnaud, Brian Jeroloman, David Cooper, Jonathan Diaz, Adeiny Hechevarria, Brett Lawrie, Anthony Gose, Darin Mastroianni, Moises Sierra, and John Tolisano.

Pirates:

Wimberly SS
Ciriaco 2b
McCutcheon CF
Alvarez 3b
Diaz LF
Pearce RF
Fields 1b
Brown C
Macdonald - SP

Pittsburgh not using the DH today.
T.O.RapsJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #33
T.O.RapsJays
Go Jays/Raptors!!

T.O.RapsJays has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
5 Spots left.

Dr. Funk, I made the changes to the pitching positions as you mentioned, you were right, there was too many.
If there is still room, may I join?
T.O.RapsJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #34
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT
i think he can play 3rd.

Alright, I'm on board.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #35
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Alright, I'm on board.

Yeah me too, even on the play where he lost his footing the kid impressed. I rolled my eyes when Lawrie said he wanted to start the year on the squad, but f*ck it throw him out there and see what happens. Love his fire and he just has the look of a big-leaguer about him. Let's do the opposite of Snider'ing him.

So wish I was in Florida right now.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #36
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Yeah me too, even on the play where he lost his footing the kid impressed. I rolled my eyes when Lawrie said he wanted to start the year on the squad, but f*ck it throw him out there and see what happens. Love his fire and he just has the look of a big-leaguer about him. Let's do the opposite of Snider'ing him.

So wish I was in Florida right now.

The downside to that is starting Lawrie's arbitration clock prematurely. I think it'll be very difficult for him to warrant that jump straight from AA with a new position. That being said, he did look as advertised in the limited time that he got.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #37
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
John Lott March 6, 2011 – 7:11 pm

Brett Lawrie is not thumping his chest, but he is not taking anything back either.

The strapping 21-year-old from Langley, B.C. really does think he is ready to play in the big leagues. He said so, loud and proud, after coming to the Toronto Blue Jays in a December trade.

These days, he is making his case without saying a word. Over the weekend he hit a three-run homer, a double and two singles and made a couple of nifty plays at third base in exhibition games.

“Everything that he needs to do, he’s doing it,” manager John Farrell said.

Which does not mean Lawrie has earned a roster spot after 15 at-bats in six spring games. But he has given Jays fans a stirring preview of the long-running show they can expect in the near future.

By the time he arrived at spring training, Lawrie had toned down the bombast, filling his interviews with just-glad-to-be-here clichés. He sounded almost humble at times.

“You’ve got to pay your dues, go about your business, play the game the right way, keep an even plane and don’t give a reason for people to not want you in the big leagues,” he said in a National Post interview shortly after reporting to camp.

Try as he might, Lawrie does not do humble well. Press him just a tad on the subject of his December ego rant and he comes clean, calmly answering the blowback from critics who waxed indignant about the audacity of a kid who has spent a mere two years in professional baseball.

“No regrets,” he said. “I still feel like I’m ready for the big leagues. As I move forward as a person and a baseball player, I know there’s always some things to learn. But as far as the big leagues go, I think I’m ready.”

Early on, Lawrie was labeled a can’t-miss prospect. After starring for the Langley Blaze in the British Columbia Premier League and for the Canadian junior national yeam, he was the top draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008. At 16th overall, he became the highest-drafted Canadian hitter in history, just before heading off to play in the Beijing Olympics.

Lawrie had joined the junior national team at 15, giving him a chance to face pro competition in Florida during spring training and the fall instructional league and to tour the Dominican Republic. That exposure, and the coaching of national teams director Greg Hamilton, helped to boost his stock with pro scouts, he said.

“Baseball Canada has been my number one thing,” he said. “That’s pretty much how I’ve gotten seen as a baseball player. It just allowed me as a Canadian guy from British Columbia to get some American scouts to see me and what I had to bring to the table.”

Originally a catcher, he spent a year and an half playing third base for the junior team, which is why, after two pro seasons as a second baseman, he says the switch to third this spring is no big deal.

Some critics thought it was a big deal when the Jays sent Shaun Marcum, their opening-day starter last year, to Milwaukee in exchange for Lawrie. But Toronto’s pitching pool is deep. General manager Alex Anthopoulos had long coveted Lawrie. And the Jays needed a third baseman.

Last season at Double-A, Lawrie batted .285 with a .356 on-base percentage, 16 triples and 30 stolen bases.

He is gap-hitter with a quick right-handed bat and relentless energy. He runs everything out like Pete Rose, minus the bad haircut. His muscular frame turns electric as he unleashes his compact swing.

“He’s a good-looking kid,” Farrell said. “You look at his actions, the explosiveness, the quick-twitch type of body. Just watching him in conditioning, the way he moves, the way he runs, it’s no secret why he put up the numbers he did last year in Double-A.”

In short, this is a special player who, Farrell says, will let the Jays know with his bat, not his mouth, when he is ready for the big time. First impressions notwithstanding, it is too early to determine whether he needs a taste of Triple-A before making the big jump.

The Jays may also decide to send him to Las Vegas for a while to delay the start of his service-time clock, thereby compressing his price tag for an extra year.

Meanwhile, as he tries to live up to his own hype, Lawrie says one of his immediate priorities is to maintain that even keel athletes are always talking about. He knows he needs to curb his tendency to get carried away.

“You want to keep that same level,” he said. “I think that’s one of the things I’ve got to work on.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...o-the-talking/
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #38
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The downside to that is starting Lawrie's arbitration clock prematurely.
Exactly. There is no reason for a team like the Jays to do this.

Keep Lawrie down in the minors until this little thing is out of the way. Young players have been getting "screwed" by this often by different and they have to just deal with it. It's in the team's best long-term interest.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #39
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Alright, I'm on board.

yeah, i know arbitration considerations are huge.

i still think he should be to able to play his way on to the team if he keeps this up.

Quote:
DUNEDIN — For the first time in more than three weeks, the Blue Jay clubhouse went silent Monday, the first scheduled off day of the spring.

Since this quiet day lands just about mid-point between the Feb. 12 reporting date for pitchers and catchers and the last game of the spring on March 30, it’s probably time to take a step back and make some assessments.

At The Half - Three Stars
:

1. Brett Lawrie

Everybody knew that Lawrie intended to win a job at this camp. The shock is that he’s actually doing it.

From the first minute he arrived, Lawrie has been a beast, impressing with his focus, his passion, his athleticism and his talent. Convert to third base? No problem. Hit major-league pitching? No problem. Act and play like a 10-year veteran? No problem.

Forget the performance, the hits, the defensive plays,” said GM Alex Anthopoulos.

“For me, it’s how he has carried himself. I’m proud to have him as part of this organization. He’s been embraced in our clubhouse.

“His drive, his desire to win, being a gamer is what we want this organization to be about. He’s been a total pro.”

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #40
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
2 Years ago we had a Fantasy League for Raps/Jays fans. Took last year off, if any want to join again this year, ive set it up on Yahoo.
Its a Roto League
First ones in can join.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

click join a league
League ID - 104278
PW - Bluejays
League name - Raps Forum Roto

5 SPOTS LEFT
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #41
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Minnesota has six starters for five rotation spots and Kevin Slowey looks likely to be the odd man out, with Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reporting that the Blue Jays “had three scouts watching” his start yesterday.

According to Christensen the Blue Jays “like Slowey and have relievers to spare,” which makes them a good fit as a trade partner after the Twins lost half their bullpen to free agency this offseason in Matt Guerrier, Jesse Crain, Brian Fuentes, Jon Rauch, and Ron Mahay.

Slowey is making $2.7 million this season and is under team control for two more seasons, so the wisdom of dealing him for bullpen help is certainly questionable.

He’s never thrown more than 160 innings in a season and struggled with arm problems last year, but Slowey has a 4.41 ERA in 473 career innings through age 26 and his minuscule walk rate of 1.50 per nine innings ranks second in baseball since his debut in 2007, sandwiched in between Roy Halladay (1.42) and Cliff Lee (1.54)

No word yet on which relievers the Twins are targeting from the Blue Jays’ well-stocked bullpen, but they were linked to Jason Frasor at various points last season.

if this were true, we'd likely not have heard anything. but a veteran like Slowey would be a good fit (imo).
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #42
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I wouldn't mind a trade like that. It would mean pitchers with options would go back to Triple A, and we'd tried to flip Slowey near the trade deadline or next off season is a trade similar to the one of Marcum...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #43
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Slowey is not very good, no better than Rzep or Litsch. Unless we are sending some garbage pitcher like Jo Jo Reyes the Twins can keep him.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #44
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I think we are just looking for options to trim the bullpen.
Frasor for slowey (odd name for a big league pitcher) makes sense.

what else are you going to get for frasor?
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #45
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I think we are just looking for options to trim the bullpen.
Frasor for slowey (odd name for a big league pitcher) makes sense.

what else are you going to get for frasor?

You keep Frasor.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: