Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #31
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who here has watched a full Raptors game this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Plus this isn't a vacuum. If the Raptors didn't have Bargnani, then his roster spot as well as the money committed to him would be going to some other player. Hopefully one that would give the Raptors a more balanced and conventional starting lineup. So no, the Raptors wouldn't be "70 ppg bad" on offense and they most likely would be much better on defense.
Exactly. Randomly take any teams top scorer off the team without putting anybody in their place and they would be worse. That's really not saying anything at all.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #32
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
You don't understand how exciting this Jays baseball team is. It has a direction, a bunch of young guys that'll get playing time, and we have more prospects just waiting in the farm system. There is a positive buzz that's around this Jays' team. Not so much with the Raptors...

I'd agree with that (I went to a Jays game live for the first time since '95 last year...Bautista slammed two HRs into left field where we were appropriately sitting). BUT, how many people are really tuned into the Jays to be feeling/aware of that buzz? Not very many it seems. (There were maybe 12,000) people at the game I was at last year tops). It will take a couple of years of the Jays actually making the playoffs to be able to make them mainstream again in Toronto's sports world.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #33
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Quote:
Plus this isn't a vacuum. If the Raptors didn't have Bargnani, then his roster spot as well as the money committed to him would be going to some other player. Hopefully one that would give the Raptors a more balanced and conventional starting lineup. So no, the Raptors wouldn't be "70 ppg bad" on offense and they most likely would be much better on defense.

Yeah, but his roster spot would have to be filled by someone who can score as effectively...which would be hard to do in the Raptors' situation, which emphasizes my point that Bargnani is a scorer and we'd score much less without him (and let's call it 'Milwaukee Bucks bad' instead of '70PPG bad', ).

But by the same logic you're right defensively we'd likely be better, because it would be very (VERY) easy to find a replacement for Bargnani's spot who's better at defense than him.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #34
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

I'm pretty sure we didn't average 70 ppg in the few games Bargnani was out. Even the worst offensive teams in the league still average close to 90 ppg. Nice try though.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #35
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
I'm pretty sure we didn't average 70 ppg in the few games Bargnani was out. Even the worst offensive teams in the league still average close to 90 ppg. Nice try though.

It's called a little bit of sarcastic exaggeration.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #36
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
but his roster spot would have to be filled by someone who can score as effectively
That might be easier than you think considering Bargnani isn't some extraordinary scorer.

Finding someone who will give you 45% FG, 34% 3pt and 5 FTA per game while giving them 36 mpg, tons of touches on offense and 18+ shots per game shouldn't be hard. That is if you're looking for an SG with that kind of production. You'd never want a PF/C like that.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #37
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
That might be easier than you think considering Bargnani isn't some extraordinary scorer.

Finding someone who will give you 45% FG, 34% 3pt and 5 FTA per game while giving them 36 mpg, tons of touches on offense and 18+ shots per game shouldn't be hard. That is if you're looking for an SG with that kind of production. You'd never want a PF/C like that.
And at 10 million? Easily, easily done.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Looks like you were pretty much right on the money when you look at tonights game. 94 points. Other people compensate by scoring more than they normally would when their top scorer is in the game. And I watched most of the game and our defense was significantly better than it usually is with Bargnani on the floor for most of the game until the 4th quarter when ultimately our guys got tired and the more talented team beat out our best efforts. I would love to see us start over with a Derozan/Davis/Amir/maybe JJ core and trade the rest. I don't care much for Bayless anymore as he seems to be way too one dimensional.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #39
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Yeah I haven't watched a full game since December or early January. I started out watching every single game, but kinda trailed off after that. Plus I got really busy with work and since I'm out here in Los Angeles, the game's already over by the time I get home. Right now the only thing I'm concerned with is our draft pick this summer. The Raps almost gave me a heart attack early on when it looked as if they were gonna compete for a playoff spot. Now it's looking more likely that we get a decent pick.

Despite our woes this season, I was still out representing Raptors fans at All-Star weekend. Thought I'd share this custom made ball I got at Jam Session. It's my photo in one of my Raptors shirts with the team logo in the back.

raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #40
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Maybe cause I am an old guy...

I actually like the Raptors on 590AM. I have "watched" about 50% of full games. I like Jack and Doug as commentators and the pre-game and post game. I pick up at least a part of the radio in 100% of games.

(I also love Jays on radio in the summer with a cold beer - but mostly cause Baseball helps me doze off).

The other likely reason - 3 kids hid my remote control and are watching Wizards of Waverly Place or some Justin Bieber video.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
bokes15
Playoffs!

I used to listen to 70+ raps games/season on the fan 590 back in the day (although I don't consider myself old at 23). And the other 10 or so i'd catch on CBC/CityTv/Global because we didn't have any cable at home. Now that's a time I can say I really loved this team because I definitely couldn't see myself pulling off that kind of devotion right now.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #42
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Maybe cause I am an old guy...

I actually like the Raptors on 590AM. I have "watched" about 50% of full games. I like Jack and Doug as commentators and the pre-game and post game. I pick up at least a part of the radio in 100% of games.

(I also love Jays on radio in the summer with a cold beer - but mostly cause Baseball helps me doze off).

The other likely reason - 3 kids hid my remote control and are watching Wizards of Waverly Place or some Justin Bieber video.

Sounds like my house.

Actually I like the mom in Wizards Of Waverly place, she's kind of hot in a MILF way.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #43
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I used to listen to 70+ raps games/season on the fan 590 back in the day (although I don't consider myself old at 23). And the other 10 or so i'd catch on CBC/CityTv/Global because we didn't have any cable at home. Now that's a time I can say I really loved this team because I definitely couldn't see myself pulling off that kind of devotion right now.

I would clear my schedule and make plans based on raptor games back in the day. When i wasn't in town i would make sure i had an online link ready and a good internet connection to go along.

also to add, if we didn't have bargs we would have someone else doing what he is doing now. its not like bargnani is an incredible efficient scorer. He is an average scorer. Please stop praising bargs as if he is carmelo anthony or kevin durant type of scorer. he is not.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

I watched the full game the Knicks beat them ( I believe the first game of the season for both teams).
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: