Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Default Re: Finally, Kuester Will Be Gone

I get your point, but I see 0% of it happening. They have hired 2 straight coaches who were cheap and had zero experience as a HC in the NBA. They absolutely will sign a HC with NBA experience and success IMHO.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I get your point, but I see 0% of it happening. They have hired 2 straight coaches who were cheap and had zero experience as a HC in the NBA. They absolutely will sign a HC with NBA experience and success IMHO.

I'd like to see that happen, but with the current state of the NBA I'm not sure it will. I think after this series with Dallas & Miami it could be a longer offseason than we're used to. If I had to make an educated guess right now it definitely looks like the NBA will lockout too. There's always articles on how there's around 20 teams that will lose money. While it might be a slight exaggeration I really do think there's quite a few NBA teams losing money. Those owners want some of their share back and the players don't want to give any up. I think not paying top dollar for a head coach might be in our near future, though like I've said I'd really like to see Adelman get a fair chance to come here. Of course with a lockout, if they don't fire Kuester right away it may not even happen for quite a while. That's why I always like those articles that say it's going to happen any day now :)
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
dd24
College superstar

Kuester was officially fired today.

Quote:
Decisions like this are difficult to make," Dumars said. "I want to thank John for his hard work and dedication to the organization over the last two years, however, at this time we have decided to make a change." Booth Newspapers

The main problem I see right now is Mike Woodson is the leading candidate. I really hope we don't hire another lame coach. Give the fans something to be excited about.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #19
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
The Detroit Pistons are considering several candidates to replace John Kuester as coach, including Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson, former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson, Minnesota Timberwolves assistant Bill Laimbeer and television analyst Mark Jackson, league sources said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...kuester_060511

I like that this article says Laimbeer and Mark Jackson. I'd be really happy with either one of them. Unfortunately it still says that Woodson and Sampson are the favorites.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #20
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Glad to see him gone. Prefer Frank,Malone,Woodson in that order. I'll live with SAmpson.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #21
dd24
College superstar

You like Lawrence Frank as a head coach? I'm not a fan of that one either. This whole coaching thing scares me more than the draft, haha. Detroit has a bad history of hiring lame coaches.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Yah I like Frank. I want a D first guy who can develop young players and who has had success as a HC. I'd probably live with a guy like Malone or Casey who could be our Thibodeau. Casey was a HC for 40 games, but wasn't successful.

I'd live with Woodson and actually, Sampson kind of excites me. Supposed to be great with young guys and another D first guy. Has a ton of respect through the league.

Woodson is probably underrated. Getting that Hawks team to play good O and D wasn't that easy IMO. No PG, not great defensive personnel.

I think Lambieer and Jackson would be the "lame" hires. No experience, getting by on name only, generally less talented as coaches than the other guys on our list.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
dd24
College superstar

Out of Malone, Casey, Frank, and Sampson I'd take Sampson. I never considered Frank successful in NJ. I thought it was kind of a mess there. I may be wrong but it seems like he only had a couple of winning seasons and two of those seasons the teams was basically .500, so it could barely be considered winning. I think it was the 06 season when some people were actually picking them to win the East and they ended up right around .500, which was very disappointing. I'm trying to think of any of the young home grown talent that came from any of his teams. The last few picks that Frank would have had was Sean Williams & Chris Douglas Roberts, wasn't it? I think CDR could have been really good and his time in NJ kind of hurt him as a pro. I think Frank is one of those guys in the NBA who gets credit because he's a nice guy and not because of what he's accomplished. I don't see him being the type that's going to lead a team to a title. He's probably last on my list. I may even take Kuester back over Frank , well that's probably a little far but you get my point.

I think Laimbeer is a guy that deserves a shot. He's the type that can lead people, commands respect, and he knows the game. He's also a defensive minded guy who obviously knows what Detroit fans want.

If we hire a guy like Woodson or Frank that we're going to have to fire after 2 or 3 years this rebuilding process is going to take much longer than all of us would like. Honestly, if we get one of those guys I think it could be close to 5 years to a decade before we're back in the thick of things again. The main reasons being if we're mediocre for a bit we'll have mediocre draft picks. People aren't knocking down the doors to come to Detroit as a FA. We wouldn't have the assets to make trades. It would have to take a few really bad seasons with good draft picks at some point to turn things around. I'm actually a person who thinks coaches are slightly over rated in basketball too. Most coaches are going to do as well as the talent on their roster. I think there are a few who can get their guys to that next level, and it's been a while since we've had that here. I thought even Larry Brown did a bad job here. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Carlisle was the best coach we've had in a long time. The guy just wins everywhere and always gets the most from his people on his roster. He wasn't as good with the people skills when he was here but over the years he's learned from his mistakes with that. I'd like to see another person like him, and I think Laimbeer is probably the closest thing to that. I wish Mark Jackson was still available too..... That's one of the smarter moves GS has made lately.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Yah who knows about Jackson/Lambieer. You might be right, but I don't really see why you value them so much. No more likely to succeed than Curry or Kuester.

You make a fair point on Frank, but I disagree with using CDR and WIlliams as examples of poor development. Both have lazy,selfish attitudes. Plus guys often learn after their initial job. He has experience as a HC and as an assistant coach under a very good HC.

I don't really get the Woodson hate at all. I think you underrate him. I don't think Phil Jackson could have gotten more than Woodson did from Atlanta. That team reached its peak. They've added talent since he left and guys like Smith and Horford have matured. They still haven't done any better than what Woodson did really.

I liked Carlisle but he probably had to go and who knows if we have the same success we had under Brown. Maybe so, maybe no. I personally wouldn't change anything that lead to a title for us though. Coaches rarely last as long as he would have been here by now either.

I'm really warming up to Casey and Sampson though. Both seem to be kind of highly regarded throughout the league as kind of the next great thing. I bet it comes down to one of them or Woodson.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
dd24
College superstar

Here's a curveball....

Quote:
While Knicks fans fret about the possibility of Isiah Thomas returning to New York, the Detroit Pistons are considering Thomas for their vacant head coaching position, according to league sources. Thomas is not the leading candidate, sources say, but he is on Detroit's short list along with Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson and his former Pistons teammate Bill Laimbeer. ESPN.com

I wouldn't have even guessed Isiah Thomas would have been on any of the list of any of the teams looking for a head coach. I love what he brought to Detroit as a player. I'm skeptical about him being in a leadership position off the court in an organization again. I think he takes some heat he doesn't deserve about the Knicks. With that said he takes some he definitely deserves too. He did do well in Indiana as a head coach, as the article goes on to say.

Quote:
While Thomas' performance in the Knicks' front office left much to be desired, he has enjoyed success as a coach. He led the Indiana Pacers to three consecutive playoff appearances from 2000-2003 and helped develop Jermaine O'Neal, Jalen Rose and Ron Artest into stars. It's that success with young players that has the Pistons intrigued, according to sources. ESPN.com

Quote:
Thomas, sources say, has been longing to return to the NBA. A return to Detroit would serve as a reunion with his close friend and former Hall of Fame backcourt mate, Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president. ESPN.com

Quote:
Marc Berman: Trusted source says Thomas not candidate in Detroit. But if Chris Broussard wants to brand it "not the preferred candidate'', God bless em. Twitter

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski: Joe Dumars has yet to make contact with the 3 top Detroit coaching targets, Kelvin Sampson, Mike Woodson and Lawrence Frank, sources say. Twitter

Quote:
Chris Broussard: Pistons had interest in talking with Mark Jackson before he was named coach in Golden State. Twitter
Old 06-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Lawrence Frank was 225-241 in parts of seven seasons coaching the Nets before joining Doc Rivers' staff in Boston this past season, replacing Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau. He [Frank] interviewed with the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday and is a finalist for that job as well along with former Hawks coach Mike Woodson and Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Kelvin Sampson. ESPN.com

Out of the 3 the only one that is decent is Sampson. I really hope Frank ends up with the Raptors so we don't have to worry about that mess.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: