Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Default Getting a new phone, need help deciding...

Alright, so I have been waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone and now they do, so my dad said I can get a new phone. I have been pretty set on getting the iPhone, but he is more pro Droid. I am not against getting the Droid as they seem nice- I am just not familiar with them at all, while I have played with the iPhone a lot. So can you guys just give me an objective comparison about which one you would pick and why?

And also, there are a ton of Droids, so I'm assuming the one that gets compared to the iPhone is the 'Inspire', right?
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Getting a new phone, need help deciding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Alright, so I have been waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone and now they do, so my dad said I can get a new phone. I have been pretty set on getting the iPhone, but he is more pro Droid. I am not against getting the Droid as they seem nice- I am just not familiar with them at all, while I have played with the iPhone a lot. So can you guys just give me an objective comparison about which one you would pick and why?

And also, there are a ton of Droids, so I'm assuming the one that gets compared to the iPhone is the 'Inspire', right?
I don't think getting one absolutely right now is the best idea. In the next couple of months dual core phones will be coming out, and they'll destroy any Iphone or Droid currently out right now. If you had to choose now, I would choose the Samsung Fascinate (if you know how to root/flash custom ROMS). Even if you don't know how to do that now, you'll be able to do it I think. The fascinate comes with an overclocked version of the Iphone processor, as well as comes with a bigger and brighter display, and its own mini graphics chip, which helps everything run smoother.

Android as a system is also much more customizable and fun to play around with, so if you're someone who likes customizing their desktop with gadgets/different setups, you'll gain nothing by buying the Iphone, because it's just basically grids of icons.

The Iphone does give you better battery life though, and tougher build quality, and because it's apple, if you have a Macbook or any apple software it syncs with them much easier than an Android phone would. It really depends what your preference is in terms of software, and if you're someone who likes knowing that what you have under the hood of your electronics is the best that's out there (or at least better than most).
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Also, here is a video comparing them if you'd like to see it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7i9LUKqw_o

Again, if you can wait, you'll be pleasantly surprised with what's coming out soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I have DroidX on Verizon and absolutely love it.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Thanks for the info.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Thanks for the info.
Let us know what you decide. There's also a 3D phone coming about summer time (glasses free) if that's something you'd be interested in.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
rezznor
Nosetradamus

i have owned 5 iphones (lost a few). i got tired of looking at the same boring UI for years so gave android a chance. i doubt i would ever go back to ios after using android for the last 7 months. i have since purchased 2 android phones, gave my captivate to my wife and she loves it (came from an iphone as well). right now i am on an Atrix and it is fast as shit. the verizon version is the bionic which should be comparable. you may also want to check out the thunderbolt.

if you are still set on getting an iphone then you should at least wait until the iphone 5 comes out. the 4 is already half way though it's cycle, may as well get the new hardware since you will be stuck on a 2 year contract.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Naruto-sama
High School Starter

Aaany phoones smuudge prooof liike if i got sweeaty pallms not leaave marrk?
Naruto-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto-sama
Aaany phoones smuudge prooof liike if i got sweeaty pallms not leaave marrk?
here u go

Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
I don't think getting one absolutely right now is the best idea. In the next couple of months dual core phones will be coming out, and they'll destroy any Iphone or Droid currently out right now. If you had to choose now, I would choose the Samsung Fascinate (if you know how to root/flash custom ROMS). Even if you don't know how to do that now, you'll be able to do it I think. The fascinate comes with an overclocked version of the Iphone processor, as well as comes with a bigger and brighter display, and its own mini graphics chip, which helps everything run smoother.

Android as a system is also much more customizable and fun to play around with, so if you're someone who likes customizing their desktop with gadgets/different setups, you'll gain nothing by buying the Iphone, because it's just basically grids of icons.

The Iphone does give you better battery life though, and tougher build quality, and because it's apple, if you have a Macbook or any apple software it syncs with them much easier than an Android phone would. It really depends what your preference is in terms of software, and if you're someone who likes knowing that what you have under the hood of your electronics is the best that's out there (or at least better than most).

dual core android phones are already out. the motorola atrix and the lg optimus 2x

also, the atrix has a huge capacity battery. reviews has shown that it is at least on par with the iphone 4. to test it, i unplugged it from the charger last night and woke up this morning 8 hours later, it was still over 90%. i have since been using and testing it constantly all day (browsing, gps, installing and uninstalling apps, games) and it is still going strong.

Last edited by rezznor : 03-01-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Kobe681
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
dual core android phones are already out. the motorola atrix and the lg optimus 2x

also, the atrix has a huge capacity battery. reviews has shown that it is at least on par with the iphone 4. to test it, i unplugged it from the charger last night and woke up this morning 8 hours later, it was still over 90%. i have since been using and testing it constantly all day (browsing, gps, installing and uninstalling apps, games) and it is still going strong.

You already have the Atrix????
Kobe681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe681
You already have the Atrix????
yeah. got it saturday for $120
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Isn't the new iPhone coming out this summer? You should wait...
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
Naruto-sama
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
yeah. got it saturday for $120

hooows smuudge fingger prrinty? Aand whaats normaal price?
Naruto-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto-sama
hooows smuudge fingger prrinty? Aand whaats normaal price?
nnnoorrrrmmmaaalll pprrriiicceeee iiss tooo2222 muucchh fffooo444rrrrr yyooouuu
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: