Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Al Thornton, Corey Brewer, Azubuike

All 3 released on contract buyouts. Any of them might be of use to us?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Al Thornton, Corey Brewer, Azubuike

If we didn't just trade for James Johnson I would take one or all of them and also get rid of Wright and maybe Weems.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I'd take Corey Brewer. He normally plays the 2 and would be an upgrade defensively on the perimeter over everyone.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Agree with Brewer. I guess in terms of some of my comments about Johnson, Brewer has at least shown a little bit more in the NBA so I would be quite excited to land him. Thornton is a black hole...want no part of him and he's not really that young. Azubuike is actually an interesting player. I'd be much more excited with Brewer and Azu on our wings then some of our players.

Last edited by RapsFan : 03-01-2011 at 06:46 PM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't see much value in any of them long-term.

- Brewer never turned his athletic talent into actual skills. He is completely useless on offense and whatever benefit he can provide on defense doesn't overcome that. I see little difference between him and Julian Wright. And Julian Wright is trash.

- Al Thornton is a volume shooter who does nothing well. He'll score only because he'll jack a ton of shots. He's 27 and already 5 years in the league. There is no potential left here.

- Azubuike is probably the best out of the 3. Good shooter but unremarkable otherwise. He's also 26 and a couple years into the league. Little if any potential to improve.

The Raptors should be looking to take chances on unknown but potential higher reward players like Bayless or even Johnson. They may fall flat on their face and fail but this team badly needs legit talent at any position. Azubuike is someone I'd like to add to a set team that's looking for the final pieces to the roster. None of these 3 are worth the time IMO.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The Raptors should be looking to take chances on unknown but potential higher reward players like Bayless or even Johnson. They may fall flat on their face and fail but this team badly needs legit talent at any position. Azubuike is someone I'd like to add to a set team that's looking for the final pieces to the roster. None of these 3 are worth the time IMO.
Do you ever think before you type? Seriously? So you don't like the players mentioned, yeah we get that. You only like Nash and Rasho. But you gave reasons for not liking/wanting those 3 guys and then said we should be taking chances on guys like Jerryd Bayless and Amir Johnson!! Jerryd Bayless has been in the league 3 years and has proven on all 3 teams he's played for to be nothing but a one dimensional, low percentage tweener trapped in a pg's body. And Amir Johnson? Yeah he's young but this is his 6th season in the league as well. What you see is what you get. The guy doesn't have a bunch of potential, and he's not putting up significantly improved numbers. He's just getting more minutes than he has ever gotten in his career. Really Q? Haha, yes we should be passing on guys like Brewer and Thornton to take chances on guys like Amir Johnson and Jerryd Bayless because there's so much of a difference.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Two comments here. The first being i'm pretty sure he was referring to James Johnson, not Amir. And second is that I personally would prefer Brewer to Bayless, but that's just me. Bayless in what we've seen of him hasn't shown me anything that would make me want to keep him long term despite his age.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Do you ever think before you type? Seriously? So you don't like the players mentioned, yeah we get that. You only like Nash and Rasho. But you gave reasons for not liking/wanting those 3 guys and then said we should be taking chances on guys like Jerryd Bayless and Amir Johnson!! Jerryd Bayless has been in the league 3 years and has proven on all 3 teams he's played for to be nothing but a one dimensional, low percentage tweener trapped in a pg's body. And Amir Johnson? Yeah he's young but this is his 6th season in the league as well. What you see is what you get. The guy doesn't have a bunch of potential, and he's not putting up significantly improved numbers. He's just getting more minutes than he has ever gotten in his career. Really Q? Haha, yes we should be passing on guys like Brewer and Thornton to take chances on guys like Amir Johnson and Jerryd Bayless because there's so much of a difference.

He meant James Johnson.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
He meant James Johnson.

Gah, why did you quote that?

I was happy revelling in my "This user is on your Ignore List." bliss.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

I've liked Azubuike for a long time (GS got a steal with him going undrafted) but realistically he is just a bench player w/out much upside at this point and the Raps have done a nice enough job accumulating those.

Interesting article on ESPN about Brewer which I don't neccessarily agree with. Lacking a jumpshot may compensated for it if you're one of the bigs but not at the wings IMO.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop

Quote:
And what they have been seeing is a defensive show. Once you clue in to the guy, it's glaringly obvious that no one on the court is defending like him. He's narrow, long, strong, quick and feisty -- which is a perfect set of attributes to fight over a screen. He has great hands. He goads non-shooters into shooting, and keeps great shooters from making a catch. He talks constantly on defense -- he's not only in the right place, but he knows where everybody else is supposed to be, too.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

I would take him just on the basis of this alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxfb3pTm2Hw
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Interesting article on ESPN about Brewer which I don't neccessarily agree with. Lacking a jumpshot may compensated for it if you're one of the bigs but not at the wings IMO.
Exactly.

Some people don't realize just how bad he is on offense. He's a solid defensive player but nothing great. Even Bruce Bowen without his 3pt shot wouldn't have been worth a damn IMO. Brewer has a career .476 TS. The league average is what? Around .540 or so? That boggles my mind. On the perimeter, you can treat Brewer like teams treat Reggie Evans anywhere past 5 feet from the basket.

Azubuike is the only one of those I'd give a second look and I'd rather the Raptors take a shot on an unknown like James Johnson at SF. If Johnson is a bust and Azubuike continues to be an alright bench player, that's not a huge cost to the Raptors.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

Jerry'd Bayless has a career TS% of 51.3% which also isn't impressive, so his scoring ability and efficiency isn't nearly enough to justify the fact that he doesn't pass even though he plays the pg position. Also, he doesn't play any defense whatsoever. That's why if given the choice i'd take Brewer, albeit probably off the bench.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Yeah to me it's more of the same kind of players we've already been amassing...never going to be consistent and thus never starters or reliable with big minutes...they don't outright suck either though...hey sort of like 85% of our team.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
and he's not putting up significantly improved numbers. He's just getting more minutes than he has ever gotten in his career.

sounds familiar
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: