Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default What the hell is up with these old people?

I regularly play at a park. I just went back and started playing after a month of rest. I found out they were the same ole same ole... When I met them they're like "wow this kid is tall" (5'7 lol, asian community). I then ran a game with them and they kept on critiquing me. Over the last few months I developed into a player who hustles, rebounds, plays great defense(take pride in that except these asians kind of piss me off by doing pullup 30 foot shots right in my face and swishing), runs on every fast break, does help defense, set screens, and do whatever I can. They keep on saying stuff like "this kid sucks". They keep on talking in Vietnamese not knowing that I do too . Well it went from "this kid can't play" into "well this 13 year old can shoot and play and help out but he just sucks" (missed my age by one you ********* lol). They're a group of ex fob high school players who played in the blacktop and some college players. What's wrong with them arrgh.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
kputs
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ct
Posts: 103
kputs has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

I think you should stick to making general tsows chcicken
kputs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Grafbag
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Grafbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Grafbag has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Are you outplaying them already? Maybe you should do some pullup 30ft jumpers in their faces too? =P
Seriously though, they're old, but they have unrealistic expectations. Let them say what they want, but let your game do your talking.
Edit: Maybe they think you're missing on a driving/layup threat too.

Last edited by Grafbag : 03-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
J21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 46
J21 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
I regularly play at a park. I just went back and started playing after a month of rest. I found out they were the same ole same ole... When I met them they're like "wow this kid is tall" (5'7 lol, asian community). I then ran a game with them and they kept on critiquing me. Over the last few months I developed into a player who hustles, rebounds, plays great defense(take pride in that except these asians kind of piss me off by doing pullup 30 foot shots right in my face and swishing), runs on every fast break, does help defense, set screens, and do whatever I can. They keep on saying stuff like "this kid sucks". They keep on talking in Vietnamese not knowing that I do too . Well it went from "this kid can't play" into "well this 13 year old can shoot and play and help out but he just sucks" (missed my age by one you ********* lol). They're a group of ex fob high school players who played in the blacktop and some college players. What's wrong with them arrgh.

don't get your panties in a twist.

just ignore the haters and work on your game. why the *** do you care about what some old douchebags say about you.
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Yeah.. I guess it got to me. I was really pissed off at that time. I tried to do the "let my game do the talking" and I just held in my rage over the last couple of years going to the park with them(they play everyday). I guess it just exploded today after I came back to realize that they were still the same. Now that I think about it, they noticed that I'm getting better by adding more stuff to what I can do in their conversations about me except they always say "he still sucks" at the end, so I'll just stick with that. It's not like they're going to say Good Job! since they're 20 year olds and 40 year olds. And yeah, they do pullup 30 foot shots at the half court line(court is pretty small) just on me only.

Last edited by bobbyflay : 03-02-2011 at 07:31 PM.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
kputs
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ct
Posts: 103
kputs has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Man up and work on your trash talk seriously. There's always little things you can do to get in your opponents head out there. I know you're young but just do the things your good at and let them know about it. Talk shit. It's fun. Be a pesky, physical defender. Just think about the worst possible guy you would want to face on the court and why. And try and use that as a guide almost. Always try and be the kind of player who guys don't wanna face. If you don't have the talent to do so, and obviously you don't, try doing some things that will get under peoples skin and their game will be affected by it- trust me.
kputs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty
 
Scholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Swaggy P's Palace
Posts: 9,953
Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kputs
Man up and work on your trash talk seriously. There's always little things you can do to get in your opponents head out there. I know you're young but just do the things your good at and let them know about it. Talk shit. It's fun. Be a pesky, physical defender. Just think about the worst possible guy you would want to face on the court and why. And try and use that as a guide almost. Always try and be the kind of player who guys don't wanna face. If you don't have the talent to do so, and obviously you don't, try doing some things that will get under peoples skin and their game will be affected by it- trust me.

This

For myself personally, my shots are inconsistent. Sometimes I'll rain 3 or 4 contested shots, sometimes I'll miss 3 or more wideopen shots. With that said, I make sure I make the opponent feel uncomfortable when I'm playing D. I say random crap to them about their shoes being dirty, their shorts being too high, etc., because a lot of times it makes the opponent feel uncomfortable and think, "Why the f0ck is he talking about my clothes instead of my game?" It confuses them to the point where it affects their game.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
623baller
dedicate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
623baller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

lol be careful with the trash talking, chances are if you push the limit you gona get jumped

most people let the trash talking and competitiveness stay on the court but some don't, and those are the people that take it too seriously and will try to start unnecessary drama


to be honest, if you are 13~ 14, you ain't gona get the respect from people that 20's and above unless you absolutely dominate them in the game. when you are that age (over 20), you 'll look back and realize how scrawny a high schooler is


if you keep playing with them , you'll improve a lot just don't get so butt hurt over it.

if you want respect immediately, i suggest you out hustle them on every possession and play some nasty defense.

how can you be tall at 5 7 even in an asian community where they played high school or college ball, this does not add up. maybe they were saying you are tall for your age?
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11
 
Horde of Temujin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington Heights, NYC
Posts: 2,294
Horde of Temujin has decent reputation
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Where do live? California. I used to live in Cali and played with a lot of Vietnamese. They have a lot of really good ballers, but some do tend to foul A LOT and also will be the first to start bitching if you foul them. And if you talk back you got 10-15 of them on top of you
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Alright, I'll just keep on getting better and use the tip of trash talking if they are almost on my level or below. Most of them are 5'5 and the tallest I've seen is 5'10. Maybe they went and played in Asia. I don't know. I think they see me as in how I see a 5 year old play. It's just that they go hard on me and try to put me down, because it's just in their freaking nature of unleashing their inner asshole. And yeah Horde, that is typically true for pick up games at parks.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Reggie43
Great young streetballer
 
Reggie43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 568
Reggie43 has decent reputationReggie43 has decent reputation
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Alright, I'll just keep on getting better and use the tip of trash talking if they are almost on my level or below. Most of them are 5'5 and the tallest I've seen is 5'10. Maybe they went and played in Asia. I don't know. I think they see me as in how I see a 5 year old play. It's just that they go hard on me and try to put me down, because it's just in their freaking nature of unleashing their inner asshole. And yeah Horde, that is typically true for pick up games at parks.

You should play with kids your own age, its human nature for people to get annoyed playing with kids half their age. Its like an unwritten rule in playing pickup games unless you are really good. Its like a form of disrespect, imagine a kid half your age thinking he can play with you.
Reggie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
ghettoracer
I airball my layups
 
ghettoracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ncal, scal, tokyo, taipei
Posts: 80
ghettoracer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

some people just have no class. stay away from those ppl.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie43
You should play with kids your own age, its human nature for people to get annoyed playing with kids half their age. Its like an unwritten rule in playing pickup games unless you are really good. Its like a form of disrespect, imagine a kid half your age thinking he can play with you.

Yeah, I guess that's right. I just wanted to play with people that were better than me to get better. I assumed that a couple days ago. Now they're asking me to play pick up with them and I declined twice. I think they're expecting me to say no and just saying it out of courtesy for me being there 2 hours first.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Reggie43
Great young streetballer
 
Reggie43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 568
Reggie43 has decent reputationReggie43 has decent reputation
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Yeah, I guess that's right. I just wanted to play with people that were better than me to get better. I assumed that a couple days ago. Now they're asking me to play pick up with them and I declined twice. I think they're expecting me to say no and just saying it out of courtesy for me being there 2 hours first.

You should find another group of older players to play with to get better. If your lucky some guys love the opportunity to teach younger guys like you the basics of the game. Around in my parts younger guys play in the morning together with the casual players and the better players play in the afternoon
Reggie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
Slimdunkin
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Slimdunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Slimdunkin has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Get ta jammin on em, i wanna go straight over a little asian guy so bad. But seriously, point some of their stuff out and use your size(drive, draw fouls, call them)
Slimdunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy