Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What the hell is up with these old people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie43
You should play with kids your own age, its human nature for people to get annoyed playing with kids half their age. Its like an unwritten rule in playing pickup games unless you are really good. Its like a form of disrespect, imagine a kid half your age thinking he can play with you.

That's the worst possible advice.

Playing with people that are bigger, better, physically stronger, more experienced, etc is the quickest way to improve your game.

Hang in there. I started out playing vs guys 4-5 years older (HS seniors vs 8th grader) then graduated up a notch (college players vs HS frosh/soph). Got waxed regularly, but if they keep letting you on the court, you're doing something right.

Next thing you know, I got all grownsed up and was way better than any of those guys ever were. But if not for them, it wouldn't have happened.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
Reggie43
Great young streetballer

Reggie43 has decent reputationReggie43 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
That's the worst possible advice.

Playing with people that are bigger, better, physically stronger, more experienced, etc is the quickest way to improve your game.

Hang in there. I started out playing vs guys 4-5 years older (HS seniors vs 8th grader) then graduated up a notch (college players vs HS frosh/soph). Got waxed regularly, but if they keep letting you on the court, you're doing something right.

Next thing you know, I got all grownsed up and was way better than any of those guys ever were. But if not for them, it wouldn't have happened.

The advice was in relation to the situation he was in, the tension and all the trashtalk. If you bothered to read my followup post I said he should find other older guys to play with
Reggie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i remember have situations like you when you were younger.
i always went to the park with my older cousin and i played with him and his friends .. like (10 years older than me).
I was short, unathletic and the only thing i could do is keep my dribble alive and create shoots to the others, but they keep always talking smack about i dont score points or the guy i was defending playing in the low post with me ..

Just continue do your thing, when you'll be 20 or 21 just like i am now you will laugh in there face cause most of the times you will be much superior than them .. cause you played against tougher guys in all your teenager years.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Woah, thanks for the advice. It just happens that these old men are the best competition around my area. I could walk 45 minutes to a 24 gym but that takes way too long. I haven't been training intensely for the past 2 weeks due to lack of motivation and maybe sleep. I also haven't been going to the park everyday at 5 pm-8 pm like I did from November-February due to me finally having enough(which prompted me creating this thread).

I think I'm going to still not play with them. I want to just vs them with my own 5(also freshmen), because I sort of get disgusted even looking at one of the pick up players at the park. However, I will go around like 3 pm-5 pm to do some training. Then I'll go home and continue my training there till like 7 or 8/ go to the gym on workout days. I still believe in accomplishing my goals..
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

But hey you need to play against someone, it's good to play by yourself and developing your skills but it's even more important to develop your game in game (you understand right?)

I prefer to play a lot of 5x5 on full court or half court against a competition that it's not even good for me, instead of being 3 hours shooting or dribbling alone.
Even if they are not good, it's always competition .. it's what you will get on playing organized basketball ..

45 minutes? really? and i thought that every court in US always have people playing ..
Here in my country to play at the park, most of the times we have to go with our cars, cause it's far away .. there isn't a lot of basketball courts.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #21
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
I prefer to play a lot of 5x5 on full court or half court against a competition that it's not even good for me, instead of being 3 hours shooting or dribbling alone.
Even if they are not good, it's always competition .. it's what you will get on playing organized basketball ..
I am in full agreement with you there. One of the biggest travesties I've seen amongst the players in my area is that a handful of them will refuse to come out to the park if they believe the competition will not be at or above their level. They will instead opt for not playing or shooting in their driveway.

I used to think that way a little bit; like I was too good to step down to that level and it'd do nothing but harm, but I was terribly incorrect. Even if I end up being the best player on the court (someone has to be, right?) that does not mean I must slow down and play to my competition's level. Instead, I push myself just as hard. Also, defense is defense. Even if my opponent cannot lock me down, I can still learn how to implement moves based on their reactions to what I do. A poor defender's reaction may be more drawn out than a lock down defender's, but a reaction is a reaction. A lot of times it's enough just to see what moves ellicit what kind of weight distribution change in the man guarding me. It's a lot more effective that running around a chair.

I actually think I've become a much more creative basketball player as a result of playing against all competitions. The better the competition, the more I rely on moves that I have already established and know I can pull off. Against slightly lesser competition, I am much more likely to improvise and develop new moves, eventually to the point where I'll be able to comfortably use them in all games. It's a win-win situation for me.

I just find it unfortunate that other players don't see it that way. If we've got four good local players who all feel the competition is not really good enough to come out for, that'd be four guys they could all be competing against, if that makes sense. If you want to develop your basketball court and get some solid competition, you have to be willing to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-25-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #22
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I actually think I've become a much more creative basketball player as a result of playing against all competitions. The better the competition, the more I rely on moves that I have already established and know I can pull off. Against slightly lesser competition, I am much more likely to improvise and develop new moves, eventually to the point where I'll be able to comfortably use them in all games. It's a win-win situation for me.

Bold statement.
I'm the humam proof of that.
My father is coach for almost 30 years, most of the times he coached semi pro teams .. but when i started playing he wanted to see me playing so he become a under 16 and under 18 coach.
Now i'm currently 20, and once a week i went to his pratices to play with is younger players (between 16 and 18), and it's like a "recreative show" for me, i always try to improve my passing skills with the pressure that they adopted, or working in my help defense and try to be more athletic with them.
It kinda makes me feel "better" for my pratices, it's like .. a relief pratice.

Btw, are you a highschool coach?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Btw, are you a highschool coach?
I'm actually a teacher and I've head coached middle school squads (14 year olds) for seven years while also assisting with our high school varsity squad during that span. The honest truth is that I still love playing the game, a lot. Playing is a priority over coaching at this point so actually one of my biggest assets as an assistant has been my ability to offer the high school squad a real deal player to work their schemes against. It's mutually beneficial.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #24
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm actually a teacher and I've head coached middle school squads (14 year olds) for seven years while also assisting with our high school varsity squad during that span. The honest truth is that I still love playing the game, a lot. Playing is a priority over coaching at this point so actually one of my biggest assets as an assistant has been my ability to offer the high school squad a real deal player to work their schemes against. It's mutually beneficial.

That's cool, it's a win-win situation ..
Can i PM you, i have some doubts that i think you can help me.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #25
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Go for it.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

sorry for hi-jacking the thread

Rake and Maga,

what's the best way to improve finishing with contact or finishing in traffic, it's hard to simulate that when i work on my game, i've seen how pros do it with a trainer and resistance band, any other things you guys seen to simulate that if you are just working alone?

thannnnnnks
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #27
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller

Rake and Maga,

what's the best way to improve finishing with contact or finishing in traffic, it's hard to simulate that when i work on my game, i've seen how pros do it with a trainer and resistance band, any other things you guys seen to simulate that if you are just working alone?

thannnnnnks

i'm no trainner, but in my opinion to finish in traffic you need a lot of upper body strenght to go against your defender body and still remain with good balance to make a good shoot. Derrick Rose it's a very good example in my opinion, he always try to go their body but finishing strong.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

Rake and Maga,

thannnnnnks
Contact is going to be awfully tough to simulate when working alone. Even then, there's some tips and strategies you could develop to prepare yourself for when the time comes for a tough finish amongst the trees in a game situation.

1) My biggest and best piece of advice for finishing in traffic: ATTACK. You do not need to be a powerhouse to be a force in the paint. I am 6'3'' 170 pounds, so clearly I'm not going to just bully people around. But my mindset is, except for when a player is set to take a charge, I have the total advantage over my opponent. Oftentimes, I'll try to treat a drive like I'm about to the truck a catcher in baseball. It's a free opportunity to go right at my defender and deliver a hit. So that leads me to. . .

2) Go Directly At the Challenging Defender: In my experience, the most certain way to get blocked by a shotblocker is to try and not get blocked by the shotblocker. If you jump away from them, creating separation between you and that defender, they'll often be able to use their shot blocking length to register a clean swat. What I've found is that jumping directly at the shot blocker (without compromising a makeable shot attempt, obviously) will neutralize a lot of that defender's blocking ability while challenging them to body up without fouling.

3) Make the Most of Your Two Steps: So one of my primary outlooks on driving to the basket is to attack all defenders directly. My second train of thought is to maximize the two steps I'm alloted before I must take off for a layup.

There was a time where I only used my two steps in one fashion - a quick one-two before taking off for a layup relatively close to the basket. Then came a moment of clarity where I was able to clear my mind and realize that I could do whatever I wanted with those two steps. So therefore, I suggest experimenting and reaching the limits of what you can do with the ball after picking up your dribble.

For instance, if you're at least 14 years old, you likely would not have a problem picking up your dribble at the high school three point line and reaching the basket with your two steps. I think this is a huge element to practice and incorporate into your game (picking up your dribble early). I cannot begin to tell you how often a defense will stand stationary near the free throw line while I attack in transition, assuming they're stationed far enough away from the basket to limit an attack. By picking up my dribble at that point, the rock is very secure (maybe even using the ol' D.Rose "Running back protect" as I split through) and I'm able to breach the painted area for a finger roll.

Two other "two step" moves I love and recommend working on solo and in-game would be the drop-step spin and the Euro-step. The more options you have once you pick up your dribble, the more dangerous and effective you'll be in traffic and in the paint.

-If you're particularly undersized, you may want to consider developing a floater, but I usually wouldn't recommend that as a primary "traffic" shot.

-I think it's also important to remember that driving through traffic can make you a passing threat just as much as a scoring threat.

I think a lot of these little tips hinge off of what Maga mentioned, which is that upper body strength will help a lot (and perhaps just as important, lower body strength). I suppose this would fall under the "explosion" umbrella. All those drills you hear about - jumping rope, ladder, lunges, squats, etc. I subscribe to anything that increases leg strength, regardless of whether it's specific for basketball. For instance, I feel mountain biking has had a directly positive effect on my explosion. It keeps my legs alive.

My last point and perhaps my most important: do not drive through traffic and try to draw a foul. Let fouls happen. Attack like an animal devoid of fear and try to finish the best way you know how. If you're fouled in the interim, treat it like a bonus. People who try to draw fouls are obvious, making a whistle less likely while greatly lowering your chances of finishing the shot.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #29
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

thanks Maga and Rake for the insight

Rake,

i acutally have no problem creating my shot in the open court or taking it to the hole, i can always score or get to the free throw line

i guess i want to also be able to finish the play even after contact to get the 3pt play.

let me clarify on how i've seen people trained for that, they'll ask a trainer or someone to pull them back with a resistance band or use a huge pad and bump them as they go up, i guess there's really no other way to train that aspect of the game if working alone.....
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #30
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
thanks Maga and Rake for the insight

Rake,

i acutally have no problem creating my shot in the open court or taking it to the hole, i can always score or get to the free throw line

i guess i want to also be able to finish the play even after contact to get the 3pt play.

let me clarify on how i've seen people trained for that, they'll ask a trainer or someone to pull them back with a resistance band or use a huge pad and bump them as they go up, i guess there's really no other way to train that aspect of the game if working alone.....
Word, we do perform the drill with the huge pad you speak of from time to time. But the truth is, I'm not convinced stuff like that is going to be responsible for greatly improving a player's ability to finish with contact.

I'll keep my eyes open and if anything really key comes to mind, I'll holler at you. Otherwise, I feel as though my ability to finish through contact has just come from years of playing basketball and learning through experience.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: