Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #106
Rose
Hero in a half shell

Default Re: Timberwolves expected to offer Kevin Love $70 million contract extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Yes. At his current production, his current skill set, and his current skill level, he's not gonna be a best or second best player on a championship team. But seriously though, how many 3rd year players can honestly say that given their current development?

In reality, though, how many players can honestly say they can be the best or second best player on a championship team?? Before the Wolves can start thinking or talking championships, they need to build a solid foundation to win more than 15 games each year.

Love is a dedicated 22-year-old in whom I am confident will become a reasonable defender, and continue to add facets to his game to make his team and teammates better.
Because generally the third year is the biggest explosion and after that you just get better at what you already do. However Love sucks at the easiest part of the game to improve at. Which is GREAT.

Because you can just tell by watching certain players their role on a championship team. Granted some guys bloom later than others. Well I hope he does add stuff to his game because if he signs a deal like this, your wolves are gonna need him too. Granted I suppose it's better they give him this money, than the talented scorer his paycheck. ALOT of franchises screw up there.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #107
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Timberwolves expected to offer Kevin Love $70 million contract extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
Love will never be a good defender. Plain and simple.

Why exactly??
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #108
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Why exactly??

cuz homeboy's white
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #109
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Why exactly??

I just dont see it.

He isnt quick, he isnt athletic, he isnt long.

But he could be, but I DOUBT he will ever be at least an average defender.
8BeastlyXOIAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #110
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I just dont see it.

He isnt quick, he isnt athletic, he isnt long.

But he could be, but I DOUBT he will ever be at least an average defender.

Defense is as much mental as it is physical. Preparation and the understanding and implementing of the team philosophy is just as important to being a good defender as long arms and big-time hops.

Granted, most of the great defenders in the league are long and athletic, but just because Love is an undersized white dude, it absolutely doesn't mean he can't be a fully capable defender.

He needs proper coaching, and he needs to figure out his skills and personal niche as not only a man-defender, but also a team defender.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #111
Rose
Hero in a half shell

I think once they get the right coach, their pieces will fit better because Beasley sucks ass at passing. Flynn's okay, and Wesley Johnson's alright at it. Which means the triangle won't work. And their run and gun either is really good or really shitty from the few games I've seen.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #112
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Defense is as much mental as it is physical. Preparation and the understanding and implementing of the team philosophy is just as important to being a good defender as long arms and big-time hops.

Granted, most of the great defenders in the league are long and athletic, but just because Love is an undersized white dude, it absolutely doesn't mean he can't be a fully capable defender.

He needs proper coaching, and he needs to figure out his skills and personal niche as not only a man-defender, but also a team defender.

True that.

But Love will never be a great team defender. You need size, length and athleticism for that
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #113
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Because generally the third year is the biggest explosion and after that you just get better at what you already do. However Love sucks at the easiest part of the game to improve at. Which is GREAT.

Because you can just tell by watching certain players their role on a championship team. Granted some guys bloom later than others. Well I hope he does add stuff to his game because if he signs a deal like this, your wolves are gonna need him too. Granted I suppose it's better they give him this money, than the talented scorer his paycheck. ALOT of franchises screw up there.

I absolutely agree that Love is not a good defender right now, but as you said, improving one's defense is a relatively easy thing to accomplish as long as the player is motivated and has proper coaching. And, yes, it is MUCH better to give the multi-faceted, team-oriented, player the contract extension instead of the limited scorer.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #114
Rose
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
I absolutely agree that Love is not a good defender right now, but as you said, improving one's defense is a relatively easy thing to accomplish as long as the player is motivated and has proper coaching. And, yes, it is MUCH better to give the multi-faceted, team-oriented, player the contract extension instead of the limited scorer.
The only thing that worries me about him transitioning into a defender, I've NEVER seen him play defense, not even collegiately but that could also be due to the few games I've watched aside from when McHale coached, and the occasional game because I was bored.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #115
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I think once they get the right coach, their pieces will fit better because Beasley sucks ass at passing. Flynn's okay, and Wesley Johnson's alright at it. Which means the triangle won't work. And their run and gun either is really good or really shitty from the few games I've seen.

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS?

Another Myth to Beasley Game

Beasley has bad decision making skills, but he isnt a bad passer get it straight
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #116
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
True that.

But Love will never be a great team defender. You need size, length and athleticism for that

Why exactly do you need these physical requisites for help defense??

With man-on-man defense, sure, being long and quick will make you better suited to check the opposition, but in a team defensive scheme, its all about proper rotations, understanding the opposing team's offensive, and knowing the tendencies of your teammates so you're in the right place.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #117
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Beasley has bad decision making skills, but he isnt a bad passer get it straight

9% of Beasley's possessions end in an assist

10.7% of Beasley's possessions end in a turnover

We're talking about an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.845
Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #118
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
9% of Beasley's possessions end in an assist

10.7% of Beasley's possessions end in a turnover

We're talking about an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.845

and you think that is all passing?

TURNOVER are a mix of getting striped, offensive fouls, three seconds in the key what else.

So Bank you are telling me Beasley is a horrible passer? Or just bad decision maker?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #119
JellyBean
College superstar

Now I wonder if Kevin Love will get the same treatment that KG got here in Minnesota by some fans when KG signed his huge contract for the Timberwolves back in the late 90s.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #120
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Whatever.

But as you can see his "rebounding" isn't bringing in any W's.

When Beasley is on his game the Wolves win. We dont need Love and his "dont care about defence, just get Rebound game" you cant win like that.

I certainly don't see this team going anywhere in the near future if Kurt lets this guy free roam on defense like that.

What a terrible response. Whatever? lol, your response is very weak.

If you remember these 2 guys play on the same team, and even with Beasley in they were a losing team. And when he went down, obviously Love cant carry the load alone. He is on one of the crappiest teams and playing without Beasley. Do you think Beasley would have brought in a lot of wins if Love was out and only he was playing? Absolutely not. You cant put all these losses on Love.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: