Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Javat_90
Banned
 
Javat_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,629
Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

I just watched the ESPN documentary: "Once Brothers". Which talks about the relationship Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic had, as they played in the NBA, in those late 80s Yugoslavian national teams, and how their relationship ended when the Balcan wars started, and then the tragic death of Drazen.

Honestly, it was a great documentary and made me learn a bit more about those players, their circumstances and specially made me wonder about what Petrovic could of been.

He was starting to rise in the New Jersey Nets as an NBA superstar, he even had pretty exciting head-to-head matchups with Jordan or Reggie Miller (there is some footage out there in youtube about this).

If he didnt suffer that horrible car accident, what do you think could have been his top? Perennial all-star? all-time NBA great? (he is already an all-time european great, easily top-3).
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 34,746
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javat_90
I just watched the ESPN documentary: "Once Brothers". Which talks about the relationship Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic had, as they played in the NBA, in those late 80s Yugoslavian national teams, and how their relationship ended when the Balcan wars started, and then the tragic death of Drazen.

Honestly, it was a great documentary and made me learn a bit more about those players, their circumstances and specially made me wonder about what Petrovic could of been.

He was starting to rise in the New Jersey Nets as an NBA superstar, he even had pretty exciting head-to-head matchups with Jordan or Reggie Miller (there is some footage out there in youtube about this).

If he didnt suffer that horrible car accident, what do you think could have been his top? Perennial all-star? all-time NBA great? (he is already an all-time european great, easily top-3).
Just thinking, Portland would have been a dynasty. They could have had 2 of the all-time European GOATS on their squad. Sabonis and Drazen. Sabonis was drafted in 86 but didn't come til 95. A young Drazen was with Portland for a few seasons.

PG - Porter
SG - Drazen
SF - Drexler
PF - Buck
C - Duck
-----
Kearsey, Cliff Rob of the bench.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Jan95
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

If there would not be this car accident, I think Drazen would make in upcoming season like 25ppg and 8assists on about 50% shooting. He is for me, the greatest shooter of all time. He scored once 113 points. I think, he could become top 3 guard in the league in that time. But, we`ll never know... sad, but true.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Clutch
Stop flopping
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 16,321
Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Dražen Petrović is GOAT Croatian player and one of the greatest European players in history.

R.I.P
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Javat_90
Banned
 
Javat_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,629
Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Dražen Petrović is GOAT Croatian player and one of the greatest European players in history.

R.I.P

And he played for my team, Real Madrid.

God bless the guy.
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Javat_90
Banned
 
Javat_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,629
Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Just thinking, Portland would have been a dynasty. They could have had 2 of the all-time European GOATS on their squad. Sabonis and Drazen. Sabonis was drafted in 86 but didn't come til 95. A young Drazen was with Portland for a few seasons.

PG - Porter
SG - Drazen
SF - Drexler
PF - Buck
C - Duck
-----
Kearsey, Cliff Rob of the bench.

Great point.

Sabonis and Petrovic in the same squad? Im not exaggerating here when I talk about an NBA franchise winning multiple championships/dynasty with the arguably GOAT all-time european players, an all-time great like Drexler, Porter...etc.

Its a shame Rick Adelman didnt really have confidence in Drazen, and that prime Sabonis came late to the NBA and with multiple health problems.

Last edited by Javat_90 : 03-06-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
get these NETS
you can't stop me
 
get these NETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,702
get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Drazen got shafted by the NBA in his last season. He lost a coaches' decision all star bid to Joe Dumars.

Think he ended up all nba 3rd team.


Drazen had all the tools, and more importantly..he had heart.

He faced the Dream Team(the real one) and unlike Kukoc he didn't back down when the USA guards tried to intimidate him.

Drazen would have been a perennial all star. The incompetence of the Nets front office would have hampered his chances of winning a ring and becoming an alltime great.

Prime Kenny Anderson, Drazen and Derrick Coleman....would have won a lot of games.
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Javat_90
Banned
 
Javat_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,629
Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan95
If there would not be this car accident, I think Drazen would make in upcoming season like 25ppg and 8assists on about 50% shooting. He is for me, the greatest shooter of all time. He scored once 113 points. I think, he could become top 3 guard in the league in that time. But, we`ll never know... sad, but true.

Yeah man.

His all-around shooting was simply superb, and he had such a strong character, he didnt fear to go head to head with guys like Jordan, and offer him a decent challenge.

Considering European players werent that respected at that time, it is incredible what this guy did in his very short period playing in the NBA.
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 34,746
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javat_90
Great point.

Sabonis and Petrovic in the same squad? Im not exaggerating here when I talk about an NBA franchise winning multiple championships/dynasty with the arguably GOAT all-time european players, an all-time great like Drexler, Porter...etc.

Its a shame Rick Adelman didnt really have confidence in Drazen, and that prime Sabonis came late to the NBA and when multiple health problems.
Well, he was behind Clyde and Porter, can you really blame him. Clyde for the same Portland franchise didn't become a full time starter til his 4th season (and was an All-Star his 3rd season as a half-starter/half-sixth man.)
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
alenleomessi
.
 
alenleomessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,103
alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Fu*k Adelman for not giving him a chance
And when he finally got it he played great season, biggest all star snub
and then dies
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
get these NETS
you can't stop me
 
get these NETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,702
get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

yeah Petrovic wasn't gonna start over Clyde at that time.

the perception back then though was that international players wouldn't get a fair shake in the NBA and many great ones opted not to even try the NBA....and have to ride the bench. I always read about Oscar Schmidt being one of the top 5 international players ever.....but his pride wouldn't allow him to come over and get scrub minutes, just to say he played in the NBA
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Javat_90
Banned
 
Javat_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,629
Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Some good footage for you all:

Drazen Petrovic vs Michael Jordan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqi4rd6y38


Drazen Petrovic scores 44 vs Houston - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLlPt...eature=related


Drazen Petrovic vs Oscar Schimdt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ut0d...eature=related
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 34,746
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
Fu*k Adelman for not giving him a chance
And when he finally got it he played great season, biggest all star snub
and then dies
Calm down, dude was a rookie playing behind Clyde Drexler. He probably wasn't ready for 40 minutes a game his first 2 seasons in Portland.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Javat_90
Banned
 
Javat_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,629
Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
yeah Petrovic wasn't gonna start over Clyde at that time.

the perception back then though was that international players wouldn't get a fair shake in the NBA and many great ones opted not to even try the NBA....and have to ride the bench. I always read about Oscar Schmidt being one of the top 5 international players ever.....but his pride wouldn't allow him to come over and get scrub minutes, just to say he played in the NBA

Yes, this is absolutely true.
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Jan95
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Petrovic deserved so much more than he got in Portland, that`s a fact.
  Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy