Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Javat_90
Banned

Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation
Default Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

I just watched the ESPN documentary: "Once Brothers". Which talks about the relationship Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic had, as they played in the NBA, in those late 80s Yugoslavian national teams, and how their relationship ended when the Balcan wars started, and then the tragic death of Drazen.

Honestly, it was a great documentary and made me learn a bit more about those players, their circumstances and specially made me wonder about what Petrovic could of been.

He was starting to rise in the New Jersey Nets as an NBA superstar, he even had pretty exciting head-to-head matchups with Jordan or Reggie Miller (there is some footage out there in youtube about this).

If he didnt suffer that horrible car accident, what do you think could have been his top? Perennial all-star? all-time NBA great? (he is already an all-time european great, easily top-3).
Javat_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Lets talk a bit about Drazen Petrovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javat_90
I just watched the ESPN documentary: "Once Brothers". Which talks about the relationship Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic had, as they played in the NBA, in those late 80s Yugoslavian national teams, and how their relationship ended when the Balcan wars started, and then the tragic death of Drazen.

Honestly, it was a great documentary and made me learn a bit more about those players, their circumstances and specially made me wonder about what Petrovic could of been.

He was starting to rise in the New Jersey Nets as an NBA superstar, he even had pretty exciting head-to-head matchups with Jordan or Reggie Miller (there is some footage out there in youtube about this).

If he didnt suffer that horrible car accident, what do you think could have been his top? Perennial all-star? all-time NBA great? (he is already an all-time european great, easily top-3).
Just thinking, Portland would have been a dynasty. They could have had 2 of the all-time European GOATS on their squad. Sabonis and Drazen. Sabonis was drafted in 86 but didn't come til 95. A young Drazen was with Portland for a few seasons.

PG - Porter
SG - Drazen
SF - Drexler
PF - Buck
C - Duck
-----
Kearsey, Cliff Rob of the bench.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Jan95

If there would not be this car accident, I think Drazen would make in upcoming season like 25ppg and 8assists on about 50% shooting. He is for me, the greatest shooter of all time. He scored once 113 points. I think, he could become top 3 guard in the league in that time. But, we`ll never know... sad, but true.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dražen Petrović is GOAT Croatian player and one of the greatest European players in history.

R.I.P
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Javat_90
Banned

Javat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputationJavat_90 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Dražen Petrović is GOAT Croatian player and one of the greatest European players in history.

R.I.P

And he played for my team, Real Madrid.

God bless the guy.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Javat_90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Just thinking, Portland would have been a dynasty. They could have had 2 of the all-time European GOATS on their squad. Sabonis and Drazen. Sabonis was drafted in 86 but didn't come til 95. A young Drazen was with Portland for a few seasons.

PG - Porter
SG - Drazen
SF - Drexler
PF - Buck
C - Duck
-----
Kearsey, Cliff Rob of the bench.

Great point.

Sabonis and Petrovic in the same squad? Im not exaggerating here when I talk about an NBA franchise winning multiple championships/dynasty with the arguably GOAT all-time european players, an all-time great like Drexler, Porter...etc.

Its a shame Rick Adelman didnt really have confidence in Drazen, and that prime Sabonis came late to the NBA and with multiple health problems.

Last edited by Javat_90 : 03-06-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

Drazen got shafted by the NBA in his last season. He lost a coaches' decision all star bid to Joe Dumars.

Think he ended up all nba 3rd team.

Drazen had all the tools, and more importantly..he had heart.

He faced the Dream Team(the real one) and unlike Kukoc he didn't back down when the USA guards tried to intimidate him.

Drazen would have been a perennial all star. The incompetence of the Nets front office would have hampered his chances of winning a ring and becoming an alltime great.

Prime Kenny Anderson, Drazen and Derrick Coleman....would have won a lot of games.
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Javat_90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan95
If there would not be this car accident, I think Drazen would make in upcoming season like 25ppg and 8assists on about 50% shooting. He is for me, the greatest shooter of all time. He scored once 113 points. I think, he could become top 3 guard in the league in that time. But, we`ll never know... sad, but true.

Yeah man.

His all-around shooting was simply superb, and he had such a strong character, he didnt fear to go head to head with guys like Jordan, and offer him a decent challenge.

Considering European players werent that respected at that time, it is incredible what this guy did in his very short period playing in the NBA.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javat_90
Great point.

Sabonis and Petrovic in the same squad? Im not exaggerating here when I talk about an NBA franchise winning multiple championships/dynasty with the arguably GOAT all-time european players, an all-time great like Drexler, Porter...etc.

Its a shame Rick Adelman didnt really have confidence in Drazen, and that prime Sabonis came late to the NBA and when multiple health problems.
Well, he was behind Clyde and Porter, can you really blame him. Clyde for the same Portland franchise didn't become a full time starter til his 4th season (and was an All-Star his 3rd season as a half-starter/half-sixth man.)
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

Fu*k Adelman for not giving him a chance
And when he finally got it he played great season, biggest all star snub
and then dies
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

yeah Petrovic wasn't gonna start over Clyde at that time.

the perception back then though was that international players wouldn't get a fair shake in the NBA and many great ones opted not to even try the NBA....and have to ride the bench. I always read about Oscar Schmidt being one of the top 5 international players ever.....but his pride wouldn't allow him to come over and get scrub minutes, just to say he played in the NBA
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Javat_90
Banned

Some good footage for you all:

Drazen Petrovic vs Michael Jordan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqi4rd6y38

Drazen Petrovic scores 44 vs Houston - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLlPt...eature=related

Drazen Petrovic vs Oscar Schimdt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ut0d...eature=related
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
Fu*k Adelman for not giving him a chance
And when he finally got it he played great season, biggest all star snub
and then dies
Calm down, dude was a rookie playing behind Clyde Drexler. He probably wasn't ready for 40 minutes a game his first 2 seasons in Portland.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Javat_90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
yeah Petrovic wasn't gonna start over Clyde at that time.

the perception back then though was that international players wouldn't get a fair shake in the NBA and many great ones opted not to even try the NBA....and have to ride the bench. I always read about Oscar Schmidt being one of the top 5 international players ever.....but his pride wouldn't allow him to come over and get scrub minutes, just to say he played in the NBA

Yes, this is absolutely true.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Jan95

Petrovic deserved so much more than he got in Portland, that`s a fact.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: