Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default Looking Ahead

What Free Agents and Coaches do you think the Knicks should have their eye on in this upcoming summer?I'll wait for you guys to answer 1st this time so this doesn't turn into a bashing of all the players I suggest lol.Also,who shold we consider with our Mid-Level Exception?N whats our draft pick situation like this year?We have that one protected pick right?Any 2nd rounders?
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Clutch
NBA Legend

Default Re: Looking Ahead

I don't know about picks we have but we should sign a defensive center for MLE and draft also a center.

Tyson Chandler (7'1) Age:28
Jeff Foster (6'11) Age:34
DeAndre Jordan RFA (6'11) Age:22
Marc Gasol RFA (7'1) Age: 26
Hamed Haddadi RFA (7'2) Age:25
Samuel Dalembert (6'11) Age:29
Kyrylo Fesenko (7'1) Age:24

I don't know who is available but if I need to give MLE to someone of them I would do it in this order:
1.Chandler
2.Gasol
3.Dalembert
4.Jordan

Others are not worth of MLE,frankly I even don't know if Jordan is.

We should sign Foster,Haddadi or Fesenko for league minimum.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

We have a 1st and 2nd rounder from what I see from the mock draft sites in 2011.

A defensive big man should be on Walsh's agenda whether draft or free agent, or int'l.

The well-known players we can't afford them, so I think that would be out of question.

I was listening to SAS this morning, and he says this all the time on his show.....

"The Knicks need to go the park and get a big ugly dude, that cares about beating up everyone around him an Anthony Mason/ Charles Oakley-type."

I agree 100% on that.

But if I had to name someone, I really think Greg Oden would be worth a serious look.

I do not think he is done, but I think Portland may give up on him.

My coach.......

Spurs Asst Coach Mike Budenholzer.

Thibbs 2.0
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Clutch
NBA Legend

So far we posted what players would benefit the most for us.

But I will ask you something different.

Tell me 3 centers who do you think we WILL SIGN in the summer.(of course we will sign only 1 out of 3)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

One is coming from the draft.

Jeffries will be coming back.

The third most likely will be a big man willing to come over for a chance to contend.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
One is coming from the draft.

Jeffries will be coming back.

The third most likely will be a big man willing to come over for a chance to contend.

I think you didn't understand me.
I asked you to tell me 3 free agents who will most likely sign with Knicks (example: you think one of the 3 will sign with us and you rank them by the chance of coming here like this: 1.Dalembert 2.Foster 3.Gasol)

I hope you understand me.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
el gringos
Great college starter

Since trading for Bargnani won't work the 2 best options to build around Carmelo and amare are Spencer Hawes or Jason smith
A defensive center would be nice to make up for a team weakness, but not at the expense of taking way from the strength of Carmelo and amares around the basket game- playing a non shooter with those 2 makes them play against that many more double and triple teams -
So basically need a prime rasheed Wallace to space the floor and add post defense- but if only one area can be addressed I'd go floor spacing big- so its Hawes, a little of both
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I think you didn't understand me.
I asked you to tell me 3 free agents who will most likely sign with Knicks (example: you think one of the 3 will sign with us and you rank them by the chance of coming here like this: 1.Dalembert 2.Foster 3.Gasol)

I hope you understand me.
I answered you when i said Jeffries will be back, even before you felt the need to switch the topic.

I dont see any of the guys you listed coming over.

Most those guys will be looking for the big or final payday.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Since trading for Bargnani won't work the 2 best options to build around Carmelo and amare are Spencer Hawes or Jason smith
A defensive center would be nice to make up for a team weakness, but not at the expense of taking way from the strength of Carmelo and amares around the basket game- playing a non shooter with those 2 makes them play against that many more double and triple teams -
So basically need a prime rasheed Wallace to space the floor and add post defense- but if only one area can be addressed I'd go floor spacing big- so its Hawes, a little of both

I agree. We need a big guy who can do this:
- Rebound
- Defend the post / protect the paint
- Stretch the floor

We don't need someone without a jumper, Amar'e and Melo already work inside the paint or near the paint. If we add someone without a shot they will just stack the paint even more. Of course this is also the case with Ronny and Jeffries. But the best players to put around Melo and Amar'e are good passers who can hit the deepball and can play good defense.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

****ing Mozgov would be perfect. Can we trade Jeffries?
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Jasi
Quality?

Marc Gasol.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Guys I'd take a look @ (not necessarily in this order)

FREE AGENTS

Josh McRoberts- 6'10" decent rebounder.Athletic.Can shoot the 3.Typical overrated Duke player but fills a need at big should D'Antoni keep his job.

Troy Murphy-6'11 and a little stronger than McRoberts but fairly similar players. Murphy is older but more polished offensively.His numbers this year aren't the norm for him.He never got burn in NJ.Avery didn't think he was a good fit.

Kwame Brown-Before you laugh remember,we don't need him to be the #1 pikc in the draft like the Wizards did.We just need him to be big and strong and finish occassionally.He can do that.I wouldnt mind signing him for the right price.

JJ Barea-We need a backup pg.He's a backup pg....Simple right? Plus at times,he outplays Jason Kidd.He'll probably be a fan favorite too.

J.R. Smith-When he's cold,he's a headache.When he's hot however...lookout. He is a deadly scorer.We're going to need some fire power on our bench.Fields has shown his attributes will be without the ball in his hands and his offense appears to have take a slight step back with Anthony and Billups here.Im col with that,but on nights when he can't buy a bucket,it'll be nice to have a guy like this coming off the bench.

Wilson Chandler-We all know how I feel about him.Who knows,maybe he'll bite if you throw Mid Level money at him because he likes NY.Worth @ least a try. Maybe Denver doesn't match.You never know

Chris Wilcox-Big,strong guy who can rebound and block a shot or two.Really all we need.We don't really need him to score a bunch of points.

DeAndre Jordan-With Kaman playing better,who knows,maybe the Clippers won't match.I doubt it but once again,it's worth a try.

Al Thornton-6'8" Can score inside and out.Tough.Rebounds.I like this guy.I can't get why the Wizards cut him.The guy I know in the organization told me he hit one slump and never could crack the starting lineup afterwards.

Marc Gasol-7'1" versatile scorer.Obviously not as good as his brother but he is very talented.He's also bigger than Pau width wise.Pretty good rebounder.He may cost us and I don't wanna overpay for him but he's one of the few guys I'd spend the money on from this year's FA pool.I think Randolph is a UFA so I don't see them bringing back both guys.Then again,who knows.

Shawne Williams-The only guy who I think we need to re-sign.Everyone else can go.

Earl Clark-Young,versatile big who can score inside/out.

Samuel Dalembert-His shot blocking ability would be a huge sigh of relief!He also rebounds too.Provided he doesn't want too much money,I want him here!

Marcus Thornton-Can provide much needed scoring off the bench.

Yi Jianlian-I really think he would fit in nice here.Im not sure if the Wizards want him or not.He's tall (7'0") and can space the floor.He's an ok but not great rebounder and he's stronger than ppl give him credit for.

*I'll do the Draft after my lunch break lol
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #14
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

We have a first rounder but remember, Houston has the right to swap. When we make the playoffs and Houston doesn't, there will be no swap since they will be in the lottery. The second round pick belongs to LAL I believe for the TD pick two years ago. The Knicks bought the pick from LAL and gave them our second rounder in 2011 if I remember correctly.

2011 Draft pick - the Knicks will either pick the best big available or a point guard. If Jimmer is available,which will not be the case, you can pretty much guarantee that D'antoni will push for him. He probably sees the next Nash or Price in him tand will tutor behind Chauncey. The big will either be a true 6'10" PF, of which I don't see any outside of the lottery being worth it, or a rebounding combo forward ala Kenneth Faried, Kawhi Leonard, Tristan Thompson, Trey Thompkins, Tobias Harris or one of the Morris boys from Kansas. I do not see them stretching for Keith Benson from Oakland, who is a true center, so early in the draft. He looks to be a solid late first or early second round pick. PG pick will either be Jimmer, Knight or Selby in that order. Knight seems a bit like Westbrook so I can see the Knicks picking him if they go that route but the best available big that fits this system will probably be the route they take. Also, do not count out the possibility of the Knick buying a first round pick again. OKC or Atlanta may be willing to move their pick for cash. Boston, maybe not since they are a bit older and need to look to replenish their stock at some point soon.

Free agents - DEFINITELY will be a big who can start at center. I do not see how Memphis can afford both Mark Gasol and Z-Bo but they are saying that they are looking to keep both. Moving OJ Mayo is the key for them so do not be surprised to see him move on draft day as part of a trade. The list probably looks like to be in this order:
Gasol
Jordan
Dalembert
I do not see Portland giving up on Oden yet and he personality is not built for NY. The kid would not do well here even if healthy since the press will be all over him about the past injuries and every time he gets a pain somewhere, the "here we go again" stuff will start up. I do not see anyone else that really fits this system that would be worth going after. Jordan would probably be best because he is the rebounder and defender that the Knicks crave and is already the last option on offense with LAC now, as he would also be with the Knicks. He would serve the same purpose with the Knicks as he does now with LAC; plus he's only 22 years old. The Clippers are cheap and may not match, plus Kaman is on the books for a grip the next two years. Do you really think Sterling is smart enough to keep both? He is the Dolan of the Eastern Conference in many ways you know....
Back up PG - the Knicks will cut RMJ and Walker loose and probably buy out Balkman. Depending on the cap figure, we may have around 3 mil to get a decent back up PG, OR they may just roll with TD and AC next year and look to give Rautins some PT. If they decide to cut Rautins, they can always look to call up Scottie Reynolds from our D-League team. I would also personally like to see PE2 finally get his chance and cut Derek Brown loose. Keep Shelden Williams too since he is a big body.

Now of course all of this is my humble opinion since D'antoni will still be here next year, at minimum through the first quarter of the season if things are not going well. The players chosen in the draft and FA will be those that fit his system and I do not see that changing any time soon. I also think that Walsh comes back because if Dolan is truly not the dumbest man in the world, he would keep Walsh aboard as the face of his new product and allow the good will toward the Knicks resurgence to continue. Isiah is not the face of the team that Knick fans, media and the NBA want to see as much as Dolan feels that is his boy. If he does let him go, Houston will probably take over but Dolan should stand pat on any change with Walsh and let him finish his tenure IMHO.

BTW, as much as I love Chandler and would start him over Fields at the two if he were on our team today, he is going to cost too much and would be a great fit on LAC. If Sterling is smart, he lets Jordan go, in turn coming to us, and signs Chandler to be his starting small forward. Mo Williams, Gordon, Will, Blake and Kaman would be a pretty stout staring five out there along with Bledsoe, Aminu, Gomes, Foye, Diogu, Smith and Moon. of course they would lose size with Jordan being a Knick in this scenario but that's not our problem then is it.......

Last edited by mjc1241 : 03-10-2011 at 01:15 AM.
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Sorry I didn't post about this earlier but I had a crazy hectic day yesterday.

THE DRAFT
First and foremost,I'd try to trade Toney Douglas and see if we can get a 2nd rounder back for him.While the 1st round is uneventful this year,the 2nd round may have some hidden gems from what I'm seeing so far.I think our needs are definitely big man,PG for the future in case somehow we don't get Paul or DWILL, and backup or possibly starting SG.We should also remember that just because our biggest need is at Center,it doesn't mean that's what we HAVE to take.There aren't many good ones in the draft.I say we get whoever is the best available talent that fits any of our needs.Heres who I've considered (not in any particular order)

1st round Choices
Kemba Walker-lightning fast.extrememly hard working.Tough as nails and determined.Can penetrate and dish but also score as well as any player in college basketball.I think one thing that really helped his game and will help us if we had him is his experience with Team USA.Players always come back better after that experience.Ask Melo.Look @ Kevin Love!

Tristan Thompson-Tall with long wingspan.Can rebound,block shots and has a pretty mid range J.Can't shoot free throws for shit.lol

JaJuan Johnson-Tall,Athletic,lanky.Can block shots but needs to add bulk.Has improved his offensive game tremendously.I like this guy and I think he'll be available when we pick.

Jordan Williams-He's a load.He could end up being Kevin Love like or Sean May. Depends on how he's coached.

Tobias Harris-Tall with decent athleticism and a polished offensive game.Says he patterns his game after Melo.

Marshon Brooks-Reminds me so much of Nick Young

2ND Round talent

Rick Jackson-Syracuse,Jeremy Hazell-Seton Hall (big time game!),Renardo Sydney-Miss St (if it weren't for his character issues,he'd be a lottery pick),Corey Fisher-Villanova
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: