Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
YouCallILose
Banned

Default Re: PTI says kobe will easly become the all time leading scorer. what you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks3
You guys are underrating Kobe's ambition. Guy is obsessed with his legacy and All-Time place in the game and has been since he was 18. He won't stop till he gets it. And I don't think he'll ever be a role-player either. Even at 37-38 he'll be dropping 20 PPG like Jordan. He has immense skill.

Kobe will be playing in his 20th-21st season at age 37-38. Go look at how many people made it that long and look at their production compared to their primes.
YouCallILose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
Big#50
College star

Default Re: PTI says kobe will easly become the all time leading scorer. what you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOutBOXOUT
That's a load of sh*t. Jordan DIDN'T have the best team in the NBA? What teams were better? And if Kobe's on the best team in the league then it's the best BECAUSE OF him. You can't actually tell me you believe that the Lakers without Kobe are still the best team in the NBA. So what have you really said with all that nonsense? That Kobe makes his team the best in the league, just like Jordan made his. Only difference is that Kobe will have the scoring title and maybe a few more rings.
JORDAN>Kobe by a mile. JORDAN>Any perimeter player by a mile. He basically had the impact of a big man. Kobe is not the reason the Lakers won game 7 last season. They won in spite of him. The Lakers win because of their size, not Kobe. Is that so hard to understand? Kobe is not carrying the Lakers. He is just a great player on a great team.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
ImmortalD24
Banned

Short answer:

No.

As a Kobe fan, I have zero interest in seeing Kobe getting this record. Kobe himself doesn't see that happening and laughs at the very notion of it. He said a few days ago that he'd play as long as he's an elite player.. by 3+ seasons he definitely won't be elite.

/thread

ps: this board is full of lunatics.

Last edited by ImmortalD24 : 03-10-2011 at 07:22 PM.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #34
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#50
JORDAN>Kobe by a mile. JORDAN>Any perimeter player by a mile. He basically had the impact of a big man. Kobe is not the reason the Lakers won game 7 last season. They won in spite of him. The Lakers win because of their size, not Kobe. Is that so hard to understand? Kobe is not carrying the Lakers. He is just a great player on a great team.
Jacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #35
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffmoney1784
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6199381

dude has lost half his athleticism, half his speed, half his quickness. but gained the best footwork, mind and patience in the game.

to go along with his every improving outside shots and charles barkley criticised pump fakes.

38,000 is almost a garontee IMO

lol@ "and tell me how my record tastes"

Garontee? Perhaps.

Guarantee. No so much.

Kobe needs about 11,000 points. He's averaging about 25 points a game right now. Let's say he averages 22 a game from here on out. He would have to play 7 more very productive seasons at 75-80 games per season. He would be about 39 years old.

Here's the problem. This would take about another 560 games to do this. This means Kobe Bryant would have to play the most games in NBA history to do this, about 100 more than Jabbar played. Kobe's advantage is he started young and nutrition and sports medicine have advanced. However look at this list. Notice any shooting guards? You have a list of big men and John Stockton as the anomaly.

Player Games
Robert Parish 1,611
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1,560
John Stockton 1,504
Karl Malone 1,476
Kevin Willis 1,390
Moses Malone 1,329
Buck Williams 1,307
Elvin Hayes 1,303
Sam Perkins 1,286
Charles Oakley 1,282

Let's say I'm wrong, and Kobe remains very productive at say, 24 points a game average from here on out. He would still have to play about as many games as Kareem did to break the record.

I think Kobe would be motivated to get the record, but as he ages, his scoring is going to drop and that means he's going to have play into his 40's to do it.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #36
sagr32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Garontee? Perhaps.

Guarantee. No so much.

Kobe needs about 11,000 points. He's averaging about 25 points a game right now. Let's say he averages 22 a game from here on out. He would have to play 7 more very productive seasons at 75-80 games per season. He would be about 39 years old.

Here's the problem. This would take about another 560 games to do this. This means Kobe Bryant would have to play the most games in NBA history to do this, about 100 more than Jabbar played. Kobe's advantage is he started young and nutrition and sports medicine have advanced. However look at this list. Notice any shooting guards? You have a list of big men and John Stockton as the anomaly.

Player Games
Robert Parish 1,611
John Stockton 1,504
Karl Malone 1,476
Kevin Willis 1,390
Moses Malone 1,329
Buck Williams 1,307
Elvin Hayes 1,303
Sam Perkins 1,286
Charles Oakley 1,282

Let's say I'm wrong, and Kobe remains very productive at say, 24 points a game average from here on out. He would still have to play about as many games as Kareem did to break the record.

I think Kobe would be motivated to get the record, but as he ages, his scoring is going to drop and that means he's going to have play into his 40's to do it.
I highly doubt kobe surpasses Kareem but even so what exactly is the problem with that? Most Points Scored is a Longevity Record.
sagr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #37
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Quote:

I really think Kobe will try to get this record. It'll be a huge plus in his quest to be considered GOAT. In addition to the record, I believe Kobe will take a big-time pay cut to stay with the Lakers and open up cap space to sign guys like Dwight and CP3 that will make them competitive. Kobe will gladly trade the cash for the opportunity to win a few more rings and overtake Jordan's crown.

Like someone mentioned in another thread, if Kobe was gonna be GOAT, we'd know it by now. You shouldn't have to wait 15 years or until tons of things get marked off a check-list to determine where a player stands in history relative to other Players. It would just be obvious. He's a great player who played on great teams, but not GOAT.
Nevaeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #38
griffmoney1784
Banned

Quote:
Garontee? Perhaps.

Guarantee. No so much.

Player Games
Robert Parish 1,611
John Stockton 1,504
Karl Malone 1,476
Kevin Willis 1,390
Moses Malone 1,329
Buck Williams 1,307
Elvin Hayes 1,303
Sam Perkins 1,286
Charles Oakley 1,282

the problem here is that every guy you just mentiond didnt come into the league at 17...and most of them joined at 21

there has never been a player as good as kobe come in from highschool before

ever

kobe is the only guy... so how can we make an honest assessment on when he will finally drop off to the point where he must retire

i say his averages go like this

33 - 25ppg 2050 points
34 - 26ppg 2132 points
35 - 24ppg 1968 points
36 - 24ppg 1968 points
37 - 23ppg 1886 points

hes on pace for 28750 points after this year at 32

and obviously he would miss games... maybe 15... so minus around 330 points

thats 38754 points

and even if he was injured for 15 games he would lose 360 points and still pass kareems 38387 with 38394

and even if he didnt make it... if hes a few points shy... i doubt he doesnt play 1 more year at 38... with no matter what role hes givin. pass it... then retire

and i dont see kobe ever again averaging less than 23ppg... ever

Last edited by griffmoney1784 : 03-10-2011 at 08:02 PM.
griffmoney1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #39
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaeh
Like someone mentioned in another thread, if Kobe was gonna be GOAT, we'd know it by now. You shouldn't have to wait 15 years or until tons of things get marked off a check-list to determine where a player stands in history relative to other Players. It would just be obvious. He's a great player who played on great teams, but not GOAT.
It doesn't matter though. What matters is that he's still going for it. As long as he has that ambition, even if it's not realistic...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #40
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCallILose
Kobe will be playing in his 20th-21st season at age 37-38. Go look at how many people made it that long and look at their production compared to their primes.
Age matters more than mileage. And there is nobody in history who's more skilled than Bryant. His game is built for longevity.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #41
BoxOutBOXOUT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#50
Now I see that you're just trolling. Shame on me for not spotting the sarcasm. "In spite of Kobe." LOL. Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaeh
So let me get this right: When deciding who the greatest of all time is, a player's body of work is unimportant? You can tell right away that he's the best, just by the twinkle in his eye and how well his nuts fit in your mouth?

GTFO with your bullsh*t. Did you know MJ was GOAT after his 1st 3-peat? If he had never won another ring, would he still be considered GOAT? No and no. When Kobe's career is done (Not 3/4 of the way through) THEN you can judge how great he is on the all time scale. If he's got 2-3 more rings and is tops in the record books then what is there to put MJ over him, other than sentimentality from clowns who remember the good ol' days of watching Jordan before they got old, knocked up half the block and got stuck working at a burger joint the rest of their lives to pay for child support.
BoxOutBOXOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #42
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks3
Age matters more than mileage. And there is nobody in history who's more skilled than Bryant. His game is built for longevity.

No, Robert Parish's game is built for longevity. Kareem's game is built for longevity. Even at 40 there were still 7 feet tall and still had the high release jumper for Parish and the hook shot for Kareem. Kobe getting that separation to get his jumper off is going to be harder and harder as he gets to be 36, 37, 38

Quote:
kobe is the only guy... so how can we make an honest assessment on when he will finally drop off to the point where he must retire

i say his averages go like this

33 - 25ppg 2050 points
34 - 26ppg 2132 points
35 - 24ppg 1968 points
36 - 24ppg 1968 points
37 - 23ppg 1886 points

hes on pace for 28750 points after this year at 32

and obviously he would miss games... maybe 15..

Yes, your whole point is based on optimistic projections with all the breaks going Kobe's way. For example, you assessment is based on Kobe missing less games per year in his late 30's that he did when 20. You know that Kobe's average for his career, not counting this year is 72-73 games a season.

I would say the chance of Kobe missing only 15 games over the next 5 seasons is far less than his chance of passing Kareem. Kobe's first five seasons averaged 15 missed games a year.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #43
mananmater
I make key plays

Thats not happening, kobes going to be done by his late 30s if that, he might end up with around 31,000, lebrons more of a threat to that.
mananmater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #44
griffmoney1784
Banned

Quote:
No, Robert Parish's game is built for longevity. Kareem's game is built for longevity. Even at 40 there were still 7 feet tall and still had the high release jumper for Parish and the hook shot for Kareem. Kobe getting that separation to get his jumper off is going to be harder and harder as he gets to be 36, 37, 38

Yes, your whole point is based on optimistic projections with all the breaks going Kobe's way. For example, you assessment is based on Kobe missing less games per year in his late 30's that he did when 20. You know that Kobe's average for his career, not counting this year is 72-73 games a season.

I would say the chance of Kobe missing only 15 games over the next 5 seasons is far less than his chance of passing Kareem. Kobe's first five seasons averaged 15 missed games a year.

so instead of missing 15... say he misses double that... 30 games... dude would just have to come back one more year at age 38 and average anything over 5 points a game to get the record... its a done deal man... its 100% he gets the record if he wants it
griffmoney1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #45
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Quote:
Now I see that you're just trolling. Shame on me for not spotting the sarcasm. "In spite of Kobe." LOL. Good one!

So let me get this right: When deciding who the greatest of all time is, a player's body of work is unimportant? You can tell right away that he's the best, just by the twinkle in his eye and how well his nuts fit in your mouth?

GTFO with your bullsh*t. Did you know MJ was GOAT after his 1st 3-peat? If he had never won another ring, would he still be considered GOAT? No and no. When Kobe's career is done (Not 3/4 of the way through) THEN you can judge how great he is on the all time scale. If he's got 2-3 more rings and is tops in the record books then what is there to put MJ over him, other than sentimentality from clowns who remember the good ol' days of watching Jordan before they got old, knocked up half the block and got stuck working at a burger joint the rest of their lives to pay for child support.

Well He was definitely in the discussion by that point in his career. His level of dominance in the Playoffs alone put him in the discussion, let alone taking the SG position to a level only rivaled by Dominant Big Men. I say after 10 years, with a Player's prime included in that, you can tell if they have GOAT potential. Kobe has never been in that discussion at any point in his career.
Nevaeh is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: