Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #301
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

LOL get with the times bro, you're jumping on the bandwagon a decade late
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #302
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I never thought of it that way. I might look into it.
Personally I don't download anything via torrents anymore unless it's "some" music through Waffles.fm. Everything else I get is directly through shared sites like rapidshare, or megaupload or fileserve, etc. rlslog.net posts a ton of links of new releases that are split into rar files.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #303
Rose
good scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Personally I don't download anything via torrents anymore unless it's "some" music through Waffles.fm. Everything else I get is directly through shared sites like rapidshare, or megaupload or fileserve, etc. rlslog.net posts a ton of links of new releases that are split into rar files.
I'm a piratebay whore. I'll admit it.

I do use megaupload and such when I download movies.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #304
m1sterb
I rule the local playground

One reason not to use piratebay? hmm, well one reason not to use torrents in general for me is a nice email from some starz lawyers not exactly requesting I cease activity on some Spartacus seasons. I had no problem complying with that request and must say that I haven't downloaded any movies or tv shows via torrents since.

However, newsgroups have always been where its at even with paying for quality service. The only problem is where do you store all those gigs? I was around 400 gigs a month, just 24/7 queuing it up. And that was like 4 years ago. I would probably need like (5) 2 TB drives on rotation..and eh, to each there own. I'd rather just have the retail..

Anyways, good thread!
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #305
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Is there any reason not to use pirate bay?
I got too many e-mails for my ISP using Pirate Bay and other public sites because a sniffer would log my IP, they'd find out what ISP I used, then e-mail my ISP my IP address then the ISP would send me e-mails/letters basically saying, "Stop downloading copyrighted material or we will disconnect your service." After the 3rd warning I only use private torrent sites now. And even then you can still get caught, but very very rarely. I've been using private sites and direct download sites only for the last year and I haven't gotten contacted yet. But right before that when I used sites like Pirate Bay I got up to 3 e-mails within a couple month span. Almost everything I download is through direct download sites like MegaUpload.

It's one of those things where the ISP doesn't give a crap what you download. You're paying for their service, but if they keep getting bugged by the RIAA with what you're doing and they have to keep warning you, they'll disconnect your service because it's become a nuisance to them.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #306
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
Unless you have a 42 inch tv, there's no noticeable difference to the human eye. It's like the 720 vs. 1080p crap, 60hz vs 120hz. People are just trying to justify their expensive 200$ bluray players and big home theaters. Don't believe everything you read.

Fact is most people don't even have tv's bigger than 32 inches, and as such there is no need to buy blu ray movies even with an HDTV. These black fridays try to draw you in with 5$ blurays but newsflash, popular dvd titles cost 5$ EVERY day whereas blu ray movies generally go from $15 to 20$.

Common sense folks. HDTV + Upscale 1080p dvd player + a collection of 90,000 titles to choose from > HDTV + BluRay player + 1000 titles to choose from, and this isn't counting the blu ray titles that are remakes of pre 2007 movies before movies were made in high definition.
I agree with the 8 feet 720/1080p remark, but notice differences between a 32-37 inch TV with a upscaled DVD and a blu-ray.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #307
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

ISP's are required under the DMCA to notify us of our "illegal" activity, but that's all they're required to do. Trust me, they see it as much of an inconvenience as we do.

Besides, they're not after users like you and I, they're after the super-seeders, the guys that upload terabytes a week and are actually doing the recording/compressing and releasing.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #308
Draz
The People's Choice

When you guys download movies do you watch it on the computer or put it from Laptop to PC? Or USB to Blu Ray? The USB has a 4GB limitation which is usually 720p.. if it's 1080p it's usually 4+ GB or greater and a HDMI is needed from laptop to tv.

Also there's a huge difference from 720 to 1080p on 40 inch + trust me. I have a big HDTV and 1080i and p shows a difference.

Question: Meticode what site do you use for private downloading and how can we get on there? I stopped using PB.
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #309
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
When you guys download movies do you watch it on the computer or put it from Laptop to PC? Or USB to Blu Ray? The USB has a 4GB limitation which is usually 720p.. if it's 1080p it's usually 4+ GB or greater and a HDMI is needed from laptop to tv.
If you format whatever storage device you're saving files to NTFS you can store files 4+ GB. If it's FAT32 it'll only save up to 4GB. On my 2TB external drive I have a 1080p copy of Avatar the extended edition on there and it's just short of 17GB. It's easy to format it. Go to My Computer, right-click the drive and click Format, then change the settings, usually for the allocation size I chose default. Remember if you do this it'll erase everything on your hard-drive, so you might want to back it up first before you format from FAT32 to NTFS.

Quote:
Also there's a huge difference from 720 to 1080p on 40 inch + trust me. I have a big HDTV and 1080i and p shows a difference.
It depends on your setup and how far you away watch the TV. I have a 42" TV and there's no noticeable difference at all between 720p and 1080p from 8 feet away or further. Which is almost universal for everyone, but you're going to determine what is best yourself.

Quote:
Question: Meticode what site do you use for private downloading and how can we get on there? I stopped using PB.
For movies I only use direct download sites like MegaUpload, FileServe, etc. And I get those links posted from release sites like www.rlslog.net for the main part. Ask for music I do the same thing, except if it's older stuff I will download from the private site Waffles.fm which has a huge FLAC and MP3 V0 database. what.cd is also another big private music torrent site. You can only get into those sites if someone invites you, and invites are precious and only given out if you obtain and complete certain tasks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What.cd
Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #310
Draz
The People's Choice

Dang. Good information here bro thanks. I'll go do what you say once I finish watching all the movies on the USB I'll format it to NTFS. Is there a limitation for NTFS still or no? Do I make the USB itself a NTFS or the file(movie)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #311
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Dang. Good information here bro thanks. I'll go do what you say once I finish watching all the movies on the USB I'll format it to NTFS. Is there a limitation for NTFS still or no? Do I make the USB itself a NTFS or the file(movie)
Yes, there is a file size limit on NTFS, but it's...

4,294,967,295 (232-1)

...you'll make the USB drive itself NTFS, it'll erase all your information on the drive. Also are you just using a USB flash drive? How many GB do you have on it?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #312
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Yes, there is a file size limit on NTFS, but it's...

4,294,967,295 (232-1)

...you'll make the USB drive itself NTFS, it'll erase all your information on the drive. Also are you just using a USB flash drive? How many GB do you have on it?

Cool. I'll do it after. Yea, sometime just a USB drive because I hate hooking the Laptop up to the TV through HDMI and having my charger plugged in as well. I also don't get sorround sound when doing that through my Blu Ray.. so I just put the USB into the Blu Ray and select the drive to play it. It usually plays all the movies. It's a 16GB San Disk Cruzor or some shit but really it's 14.9GB or so. Able to store atleast 4-6 (720p) resolution movies of about 3.71GB each.. but I'm trying to put my 1080p movies on it but the restricted 4GB is a ******. I'll check into the NTFS.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #313
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Cool. I'll do it after. Yea, sometime just a USB drive because I hate hooking the Laptop up to the TV through HDMI and having my charger plugged in as well. I also don't get sorround sound when doing that through my Blu Ray.. so I just put the USB into the Blu Ray and select the drive to play it. It usually plays all the movies. It's a 16GB San Disk Cruzor or some shit but really it's 14.9GB or so. Able to store atleast 4-6 (720p) resolution movies of about 3.71GB each.. but I'm trying to put my 1080p movies on it but the restricted 4GB is a ******. I'll check into the NTFS.
You'll be able to watch 1080p no problems.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #314
Draz
The People's Choice

Meticode is, God.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #315
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
There's a difference, but it's probably not from the resolution. Resolution is actually a really small factor after 720p. The quality of the media, and quality of the TV matters a lot more.
But yeah, there is a huge difference between Blu Ray and upscaled DVD. You'd have to be blind not to tell

Assuming that you're talking about the fact that blu ray movies cost 2-3 times the cost of the same movie in DVD, then yep huge difference alright. You'd have to be rich not to care about wasting your money.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: