Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #346
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Which one? And not to be nit-picky, It's Blu-Ray Disc, Blu-Ray is considered one word so it would be "BD".

I ordered this one today

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Apocal...Blu-ray/14093/

I have this version:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Apocal...-Blu-ray/7745/

I like your Cover Art much better but I can't complain cuz I have the Redux version and the theatrical
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #347
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Check out the artwork for the ApocNow steelbook from Spain

I want to get that as a poster and frame it.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #348
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Yea that's spectacular. Reminds me of Japanese art. Love how the helicopters look like ants lol.

I know you purchase online a lot from Amazon but Barnes and Noble is a brilliant place to buy from stores. They have entire sections for Criterion Collection, Foreign Blu Rays, you name it. If you really want a title and walk out with it, B and N a good place to go
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #349
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

B&N is indeed a great source. I took advantage of their November Criterion sale and got 10 Criterion BD's. Saved about $100.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #350
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Those are great movies to have on BD (word to Pete's)

However, for having the worst summer Blockbuster this decade (TF2) in the best format for home viewing. I hope it was a gift
nah Transformers is one of my fav movies. have to have all 3 of em!!!
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #351
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

wth is Apocalypse Now???
Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #352
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Yea I believe we have discussed this before. I don't mind the 1st and 3rd one. They're action blockbusters that have both cool moments and corny moments.

The second one is just a travesty. I can't tolerate it. makes my blood almost boil the way Spider Man 3 did
Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #353
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
wth is Apocalypse Now???

One of the most famous war films ever made. It's an awesome and unique story about the horrors that reside in the mind after being on duty in battle.

It's set during Vietnam and is about an affected battle torn Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) sent on a crucial mission to neutralize a legendary Green Beret (Marlon Brando) who has become a threat to the American cause in 'Nam.

If you like well layered stories with themes and statements, AN is a must see
Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #354
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Also, wtf is up w/all these cases that include the dvd+digital copy with the blu ray disc. its pissing me the hell off cuz it costs extra. I mean I'm fine w/just 1 being with the blu ray disc but all 3??? Really? And now I saw 3d blu ray with it so it makes it 4 discs. I'd greatly prefer 1 disc but 2 is fine. But anyone know if anywhere sells just the blu ray discs? I mean ya amazon but not all either.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #355
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

The digital copy is great for people who travel.

Having the DVD is a great inclusion if you wanna take a flick over to a friend's house or somethin and they haven't invested in Blu-Ray yet.

I enjoy having an all inclusive package of diff options if it is a legendary film or something that gets viewed a lot
Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #356
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
The digital copy is great for people who travel.

Having the DVD is a great inclusion if you wanna take a flick over to a friend's house or somethin and they haven't invested in Blu-Ray yet.

I enjoy having an all inclusive package of diff options if it is a legendary film or something that gets viewed a lot
It's a little more time consuming, but you can make any digital copy you want at any quality and a DVD just from having a bluray alone and a bluray player in your PC.

That's what I do at least.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #357
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
what I cant notice is the difference between 720 and 1080 I have a small 720hd ready 22 inch tv and my friend has a 42 inch plasma 1080p TV and it looks the same to me except his is big as ofcourse so it great to watch on, quality wise I dont see a difference,

That's because you have a 22 inch TV. 1080p doesn't make sense on a 22 inch TV, because it doesn't have enough room to display the difference. 36-40" is about the minimum size where you would see the difference 1080p makes.
A 42 inch screen is 265% the screen area of a 22 inch screen. The pixels on 22 inch screen are so tight together that 720 and 1080 both look very sharp.

Also you have to watching a 1080p source. Were you actually watching a bluray on both devices? If you are watching regular TV, that is not 1080p and is more highly compressed than a bluray disc.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #358
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Area Girlfriend Still Hasn't Seen Apocalypse Now

AZUSA, CA–In a discovery prompting exasperated forehead-slapping and stunned expressions of incredulity, Mark Tillich learned Monday that girlfriend Brandi Jensen has never even seen Apocalypse Now.

Mark Tillich and Brandi Jensen, who, unbelievably, has never seen Apocalypse Now, "one of the greatest films of all time."

"You gotta be kiddin' me, Bran!" said Tillich, 21, a senior marketing major at Azusa Pacific University, upon discovering Jensen's ignorance of the 1979 Francis Ford Coppola-directed Vietnam War epic. "It's only, like, arguably the most ambitious anti-war statement in American movie history. Jesus!"

"I cannot believe you've never seen Apocalypse Now," he added. "That's insane."

Tillich, who first saw the critically acclaimed film on HBO at age 14 while sleeping over at a friend's house, was particularly distressed by the fact that Jensen had not only never seen the film, but was wholly unfamiliar with its basic premise.

"Hello? Joseph Conrad's Heart Of Darkness updated from 19th-century British imperialism in the Congo to a critique of 20th-century U.S. imperialism in Southeast Asia? Hello? Any of this ringing a bell?" Tillich said. "Come on, that's like saying you've never seen Full Metal Jacket."

When Jensen replied that she hadn't even heard of Full Metal Jacket, Tillich threw up his hands in an "I give up" gesture and stormed out of the room.

"It's not like I don't like movies," Jensen said. "I loved Notting Hill, and I'm totally psyched to see Hanging Up–I'm the biggest Meg Ryan fan. I even used to have a When Harry Met Sally poster in my dorm room. And have you seen My Best Friend's Wedding? Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz are so amazing in it. My all-time favorite, though, has got to be Beaches."

Tillich, however, is unimpressed. "He called my movies overwrought, weepy chick dramas lacking in any genuine visceral impact,'" Jensen said. "Well, excuse me for living, Mr. Big Army Guns."

Tillich responded to his girlfriend's shocking Apocalypse Now revelation by making plans for her to see it that night, claiming that "to deny [her] the pleasure [she] would experience in viewing such a cinematic masterpiece for even one more second would be a crime."

Marlon Brando as Colonel Kurtz, a "mind-blowing" character with whom Jensen is unfamiliar.

Though Jensen declined, telling him she had to study for a test, Tillich persisted, trying to convey to her "the urgency of rectifying this situation as soon as possible."

"After class yesterday, I was hanging out with them, and he wouldn't shut up about it," said Melissa Ayler, Jensen's best friend. "He was like, 'But it's got Robert Duvall's classic turn as the surfing-obsessed helicopter squad leader!' Then he started quoting all these lines from it, saying stuff like, 'Charlie don't surf,' and 'I love the smell of A-bombs in the morning.' At least, I think that's what he said–I've never seen the stupid movie, either."

Tillich housemate Howie Fuller said that while eating dinner with the couple and several of Jensen's friends, Tillich described in detail the film's climactic scene, in which villagers hack an ox to pieces as The Doors' "The End" plays.

"She was like, 'What's so appealing about an ox getting violently slaughtered? It really doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, Mark.' And all the girls at the table were like, 'Yeah, that's gross,'" Fuller said. "But that just made him lose it even worse. He started screaming, 'You don't understand! The destruction of the ox parallels the destruction of Colonel Kurtz! Can't you see that?' It was sad."

According to Tillich, Jensen's failure to see Apocalypse Now is her worst cinematic transgression since last October, when the couple was browsing a Blockbuster video store and she casually pointed at the box for Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver and said, "I've seen that. Yuck!" Jensen further outraged Tillich when she rejected such proposed rentals as A Clockwork Orange, Glengarry Glen Ross, Wall Street, and True Romance.

Other infamous episodes that have occurred during the couple's 18-month relationship include Tillich's August 1999 insistence that Jensen listen to all of side two of the Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat, his January 1999 failure to talk Jensen into visiting the grave of Philip K. Dick during a Colorado road trip, and his ongoing unsuccessful efforts to get her to read Alan Moore's Watchmen, a 1986 postmodern-superhero graphic novel she described as "a comic book about a big blue space guy" and that he calls "nothing less than a total, devastating deconstruction of virtually every archetype in the genre's history."

The most frustrating thing, Tillich said, is the fact that Jensen is "exactly my idea of the perfect woman for me," making her ignorance of the seminal film all the harder to fathom and forcing him to call into question, at a profound level, the basic foundation of their relationship and future together.

"You've got to realize, Bran is not just some airhead," Tillich told Fuller over drinks at the Azusa Pacific student union. "She's intelligent, involved, and culturally aware. So how the hell could she not know about Brando and Sheen's classic encounters in Kurtz's depraved jungle fortress? What in Apocalypse Now could possibly be unappealing to a smart, deep, complicated, interesting 22-year-old woman? It just doesn't add up."

"I just don't know if I can be seriously committed to somebody who has no interest in seeing Apocalypse Now," Tillich continued. "She's just really missing out. I bet she'd love it I could just get her to sit down and watch it."
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #359
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

The Onion never disappoints.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #360
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote: