Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #436
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

You must, must, must read this book

Tons of crazy stories about 1970's cinema. It's about how Coppola, Lucas, Scorsese, Speilberg and others took over Hollwood. Great great book.

New York does have its perks for movie watching....it used to be easier to live like a Woody Allen character from the 70's and go see old movies all the time, but I could probably name about 12 revival/arthouses that closed to become some shitty restaurant.

When the Godfather came to DVD, they made new 35mm prints from the restored negatives and showed them on the biggest screen in NY (same place Raging Bull played). I don't know why I never made it to see those, but my wife (this was before we met) and said it was one of the best moviegoing experiences of her life...she had never seen the movies all the way through... just bits and pieces on TV. She said she dreamed of the Godfather for weeks.

I have one more Scorsese story that I'll save for another day, but a couple of quick NY movies stories. A girl I went to college with was dating the son of prop guy for Woody Allen and she said she used to have sex on the couches from some of the big movies. And one time in college, I was working on street in Tribeca with a bunch of other people and this guy walked by, paused and cocked his head and looked at us and then walked away. About five seconds later, I realized it was Robert DeNiro.

Film Forum is the main repertory theater in NYC. You may to check out their calendar every now and then, good quick way to learn about films. The just played a new 35mm print of Wages of Fear. Do you know that one? Great suspenseful movie. This weekend they are playing Pickpocket which when I was a younger, more adventurous movie-goer told myself I was going to see one day....I even saw Paul Schrader give a talk about it, but didn't stick around for the movie (it was a double bill with The Searchers and didn't have time to see both.)

Also the difference between an Oppo and the $130 Panasonic (the 210 which has a great picture) I just bought is not enough to justify the price unless you have an insane sound setup. You're better off buying more blu rays with the purchase price.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #437
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Also, Pete, don't become like the folks in Cinemania. It's a very entertaining about documentary about a handful of obsessive-compulsive movie fans in, where else?, New York. These folks saw more movies than film critics, but they weren't making any money from it. I remember one scene from the movie, where one of the starts berating the projectionist that the movie was shot in 1:78 to 1 and they were showing it at 1:85 to one and then storms off without seeing the movie, because the experience was ruined.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 01-13-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #438
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Also, Pete, don't become like the folks in Cinemania. It's a very entertaining about documentary about a handful of obsessive-compulsive movie fans in, where else?, New York. These folks saw more movies than film critics, but they weren't making any money from it. I remember one scene from the movie, where one of the starts berating the projectionist that the movie was shot in 1:78 to 1 and they were showing it at 1:85 to one and then storms off without seeing the movie, because they experience was ruined.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #439
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Ohmigod. Youtube has a lot of clips up from Cinemania including this hilarious clip about how one of this maniacs (who is probably in her 60's) got banned from the Museum of Modern Art.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #440
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Ohmigod. Youtube has a lot of clips up from Cinemania including this hilarious clip about how one of this maniacs (who is probably in her 60's) got banned from the Museum of Modern Art.
Holy f*ck Roberta.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #441
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Holy f*ck Roberta.

Dude, Museum of Modern Art audiences are without a doubt, the craziest movie going audience around.

I once saw two old ladies get into a fistfight over who had control of the armrest. Their husbands literally had to pull them apart.

There was also one guy who looked like someone dug up Alan Ginsberg's corpse and put him in a cheap suit and pair of flip-flops who was THERE ALL THE TIME. He had the longest gnarliest toenails too. Imagine if the Cryptkeeper had a beatnik goatee. I literal shook with fright the first time I saw him.

I'm pretty sure he was sitting about two rows in front of the women who had the fistfight.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #442
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Holy f*ck Roberta.

Yeah, I have to watch this movie again.

It's on Netflix luckily
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Cinemania/60031164
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #443
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Also, Pete, don't become like the folks in Cinemania. It's a very entertaining about documentary about a handful of obsessive-compulsive movie fans in, where else?, New York. These folks saw more movies than film critics, but they weren't making any money from it. I remember one scene from the movie, where one of the starts berating the projectionist that the movie was shot in 1:78 to 1 and they were showing it at 1:85 to one and then storms off without seeing the movie, because the experience was ruined.

I never go to movies because there's nothing ever out that's worth $12.50 for me to see.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #444
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cinemania is nowhere to be found on all the regular torrent sites.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #445
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Cinemania is nowhere to be found on all the regular torrent sites.

It's a pretty obscure documentary, but check out the film clips on youtube.

Some of the clips are in the lobby of Film Forum.

I once just shushed by guy at Film Forum for Talking while the Paramount logo was still on the screen before Duck Soup. Not even during the movie.
I threw my napkin at him and didn't hear from him again.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #446
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Just pre-ordered Fassbinder's World On A Wire

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #447
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just bought Spiderman and Tokyo Drift, and have a couple other movies coming in from Amazon in the next couple days. That will put my collection at 15.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #448
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

This arrived yesterday

Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #449
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Ordered another steelbook today from a nice gent hailing from Seattle.

Now I have two editions of ApocNow, but this one will be displayed.

Another great thing about blu-ray.com is the trading/selling section. Brand new mint BD's for a huge discounted price. Tons of people will buy a movie, watch it once and then sell it for cheap. Also, lots of people who are just looking to unload their collections for whatever reason.

I ordered a bunch from a fellow out of New Jersey today for $80.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
the Fountain
Gone Baby Gone
Halloween [1978]
the Nightmare Before Christmas
Stranger than Fiction
Trick r Treat
Ultimate Matrix Collection

Retail value: $113, so I saved $33.

Total collection finally cracks 100, with 104.

Edit: I actually paid $75 for that haul so I saved $38.

Last edited by pete's montreux : 01-20-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #450
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Ordered a few more this morning, Canadian FutureShop exclusive Drive with slipcover:

Studio Canal version of the Deer Hunter. It's not even released in the states at all.

French Mean Streets, also not available in the states.

Studio Canal the Pianist, once again - not available in the states.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: