Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #511
Rose
good scorer

Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Steelbooks: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Inception. I really want the TDKR steel book but it goes for way more than I'm willing to pay. I'm probably gonna get the Scott Pilgrim and Oblivion steelbooks shortly. I'd love to pick up the Marvel ones but they're ridiculously expensive to import. And the only one that's stateside is the shitty Hulk one.

I hadn't heard of digibooks and just looked and I gotta say I don't like them.

As far as cool editions I paid for the Lion King one.

Pretty solid for 45 bucks I think is what I paid last black friday. And the Star Wars one with 9 discs.

EDIT: just went to see apparently the Norton Hulk version is out as well. But I probably won't buy it until I can get the others in steelbooks.

Last edited by Rose : 09-30-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #512
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Oh I think my only digibook is The Taxi Driver, I'm not big on them and would rather a steelbook instead.

Like Qwy, I won't pay much for a steelbook but if I can find a good deal or its a dollar or two more than the standard edition then I tend to go with the steelbook.

The most i've ever paid for a steelbook was $35 and it was Deathly Hallows part 2 and its worth like $70-100 USD. I bought two copies I found in futureshop and sold one.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #513
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
As far as cool editions I paid for the Lion King one.

Pretty solid for 45 bucks I think is what I paid last black friday.

Yeah I was looking at that last year and would have ordered it if I didn't already get the lion king movies from DMC.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #514
Rose
good scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcogswell
Yeah I was looking at that last year and would have ordered it if I didn't already get the lion king movies from DMC.
That's the problem that I think a lot of people who've been collecting blu-rays will run into. You already own most/all of the thing in the collection so why buy the huge thing unless you're really into special features?

I think it's kinda shitty to do anyways, as well because your average blu ray buy isn't gonna pay for the collection. And since blu is still behind DVD in average usage I think it's kinda stupid. And sometimes the collector's set is weird. Like the Matrix one that comes with a ship? And I say that as a big fan of the Matrix. I don't like the Marvel one either that much, but I can get why people do. Hell the Harry Potter one is the only one I know of that I'd actually buy, but **** UV copies.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #515
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
That's the problem that I think a lot of people who've been collecting blu-rays will run into. You already own most/all of the thing in the collection so why buy the huge thing unless you're really into special features?

I think it's kinda shitty to do anyways, as well because your average blu ray buy isn't gonna pay for the collection. And since blu is still behind DVD in average usage I think it's kinda stupid. And sometimes the collector's set is weird. Like the Matrix one that comes with a ship? And I say that as a big fan of the Matrix. I don't like the Marvel one either that much, but I can get why people do. Hell the Harry Potter one is the only one I know of that I'd actually buy, but **** UV copies.

Yeah I still need to get around to selling my copies of movies that I had before I bought those two collections.

I won't buy a big collection unless I really like the movie/show as they just take up so much room and then they are hard to store/display.

Do any of you guys care about your slipcovers?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #516
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Do any of you guys care about your slipcovers?

Only if it has a cool hologram effect or embossed texture. Otherwise, I just toss them out in recycling.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #517
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Only if it has a cool hologram effect or embossed texture. Otherwise, I just toss them out in recycling.

I keep all of mine, hell some people will even buy them online.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #518
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:

I keep all of mine, hell some people will even buy them online.

LMAO, I didn't even know those had any collectible value like that. If it's just a simple cardboard recreation of the cover/backcover on the keepcase, I don't see what's the point in having it. A needless annoyance.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #519
Rose
good scorer

Quote:
LMAO, I didn't even know those had any collectible value like that. If it's just a simple cardboard recreation of the cover/backcover on the keepcase, I don't see what's the point in having it. A needless annoyance.
There's threads on blu-ray.com about it. It happens a lot actually. Someone will bend their slipcover/bust it trying to unwrap it and then offer 2-4 bucks for someone else's if it's in near mint condition. It cracks me up.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #520
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:

Some people like it for uniformity with the others on the shelf, and will go out of their way to find a slipcover for the movie they bought if it didn't have one. A few months after being released they stop producing the slipcovers, so they become harder to find.

Most slipcovers will go for $1-4 but some are crazily priced at like $25
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #521
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
There's threads on blu-ray.com about it. It happens a lot actually. Someone will bend their slipcover/bust it trying to unwrap it and then offer 2-4 bucks for someone else's if it's in near mint condition. It cracks me up.

I bought two slipcovers in my life, and I was actually only buying them for the empty case the guy was shipping them with. $4 for 2 slips and 2 empty cases to replace the broken ones I had at the time.

I should just buy a 20pack of replacement cases on ebay to have but oh well.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #522
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:

X infinity

I'm weird and slightly OCD about my cases though. If my case is cracked or damaged in anyway (won't snap shut due to a missing piece), I have to replace it with a new one. But, definitely not obsessing over a simple cardboard slipcover. Glad I don't have it that bad.

Speaking of cases, I wish all Blu-Ray's came in the clear cases like Criterion's do.

Same size dimensions as a standard Blu-Ray case. I'm oddly annoyed by the extra blue space on top with that embossed "Blu-Ray" on most of the releases.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #523
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
X infinity

I'm weird and slightly OCD about my cases though. If my case is cracked or damaged in anyway (won't snap shut due to a missing piece), I have to replace it with a new one. But, definitely not obsessing over a simple cardboard slipcover. Glad I don't have it that bad.

Speaking of cases, I wish all Blu-Ray's came in the clear cases like Criterion's do.

Same size dimensions as a standard Blu-Ray case. I'm oddly annoyed by the extra blue space on top with that embossed "Blu-Ray" on most of the releases.

Some 3D ones by Sony have been in clear cases, but I wouldn't want all of them to come in clear. I like the blu cases, almost as much as my green cases that the Incredible Hulk and The Grinch are in.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #524
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

I'm still waiting for them to make an official release date for Fast and Furious 6 in North America, since its already been released for a few weeks in the U.K
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #525
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Official Release Date for Fast and Furious 6 has been set as December 10, 2013, nearly 6.5 months after being released theatrically in NA.

I've got the steelbook on preorder.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: