Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #526
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Nahh ordered one from Cineplex in Canada. Got it for like 24 bucks total which is great for Canada

Never seen the movies your talking about and actually haven't seen a ton of Criterions but I own 4 total now and every one is pretty much everything you'd ask for.

Which Criterion's do you have?

They are one of my favorite companies in any industry, because they take what they do very seriously. Out of their massive catalog of titles, they've made very few mistakes in terms of classic film restoration. It would do a lot for their reputation if they admitted their mistakes in those few cases and re-released them. Everyone's hoping that happens for 'Children of Paradise' and 'The Earrings of Madame de...' in particular.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #527
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

up to 84 blu rays
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #528
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Bought myself this around Christmas, some I didn't own on Blu, some I've never even seen:

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection

It's ok, you can rep me, you can touch my arm even jk obv
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #529
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Bought myself this around Christmas, some I didn't own on Blu, some I've never even seen:

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection

It's ok, you can rep me, you can touch my arm even jk obv
I sometimes I wish I waited for this and not bought a lot of the standalone versions. But there's some in the collection that I didn't care for and I REALLY hate the packaging if it's the same as the Stanley Kubrick Collection that I have where you have to yank on the discs to get them out of the sleeves.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #530
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Which Criterion's do you have?

They are one of my favorite companies in any industry, because they take what they do very seriously. Out of their massive catalog of titles, they've made very few mistakes in terms of classic film restoration. It would do a lot for their reputation if they admitted their mistakes in those few cases and re-released them. Everyone's hoping that happens for 'Children of Paradise' and 'The Earrings of Madame de...' in particular.

Royal Tenebaums, Dazed and Confused, and picked up Fear and Loathing and Days of Heaven this X-Mas. Been more than happy with every one so far, but really expensive so probably take me awhile to get all the titles I want.
NuggetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #531
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I sometimes I wish I waited for this and not bought a lot of the standalone versions. But there's some in the collection that I didn't care for and I REALLY hate the packaging if it's the same as the Stanley Kubrick Collection that I have where you have to yank on the discs to get them out of the sleeves.

Yea I don't like the cardboard sleeves they come in as a matter of convenience but each movie has an awesome gloss layout with the original movie poster and a major quote from the story. Plus, they are in chronological order so I enjoy the presentation if not the functionality.

I got a great deal on the set though. High quality versions of 15 Hitchcock works (including the best/ most reputable movies) is something that's more than worth the price of $105 for an avid film collector such as myself.

I love the aesthetic of the set but yes, cardboard cleeves are sometimes
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #532
Rose
good scorer

Canada is lucky as can be when it comes to blu-rays. You guys get more deals and steelbooks than Americans do.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #533
cos88
Banned

i just can't understand what good is a blue ray player or a dvd player now with smart tvs and just usb in tv and you can have any 1080p or 720p movie.

can someone tell me, i just think it's a waste 200-300 dollars for nothing
cos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #534
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NTPDSW/..._sp86sb1JF3QQH

godfather collection on sale for $17. regularly is around 60 bucks

If your into cool packaging the Godfather 40th anniversary is still on for like 28 pounds which can be had for under 50 I'm pretty sure. Pound is crazy high now tho. Comes in a massive bible and has tons of cool shit, picture doesn't do it justice.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #535
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos88
i just can't understand what good is a blue ray player or a dvd player now with smart tvs and just usb in tv and you can have any 1080p or 720p movie.

can someone tell me, i just think it's a waste 200-300 dollars for nothing

I use to be the same way. While some downloads look really good you can still tell the difference popping in a Blu-Ray compared to downloading than streaming it. Esp with the HDrips and some Blu-Ray downloads, great quality and I use them still. Even DVD's that get upconverted look really good. Older titles or less popular titles that don't have tons of great rips. Assuming your talking about downloading. I buy alot of Blu-Ray's and still download aton of things too. To me watching the Blu-Ray looks the best.

I like collecting things as well. Love the packaging and all the cool editions. Special features etc. Love owning physical copies instead of digital. Just picking out a movie and popping it in is really simple.I'm up to like 163 Blu-Ray's now and pretty addicted don't even want to know how much I've sunk into it.

Go on Ebay and search Iron Man future shop exclusive steelbook. People sell it for 300+ dollars. 2 have sold since Christmas for 400+ and one sold in November for 600.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #536
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
I use to be the same way. While some downloads look really good you can still tell the difference popping in a Blu-Ray compared to downloading than streaming it. Esp with the HDrips and some Blu-Ray downloads, great quality and I use them still. Even DVD's that get upconverted look really good. Older titles or less popular titles that don't have tons of great rips. Assuming your talking about downloading. I buy alot of Blu-Ray's and still download aton of things too. To me watching the Blu-Ray looks the best.

Even though Blu-Rays are far superior to downloads/streams (not only for quality, but simply for the experience), I find the sound difference between Blu-Ray and downloads more apparent than picture quality. There are lots of very good quality streams, but I always notice a difference in the sound.
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #537
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_L_P
Even though Blu-Rays are far superior to downloads/streams (not only for quality, but simply for the experience), I find the sound difference between Blu-Ray and downloads more apparent than picture quality. There are lots of very good quality streams, but I always notice a difference in the sound.

Forgot about that completely. YIFY has really good bluray rips compared to file size but I always find his audio to be somewhat off, have to jack up the sound to hear it. Watching a Blu-Ray, sound is just as good as the picture.

I use to argue in favor of downloads and that you couldn't notice the picture, esp when I first started downloading Blu-Ray rips. Now that I've actually seen a bunch of Blu-Rays on my TV it really isn't all that close for me personally. I'll download random stuff but generally if I really like a movie I'll want to see it on Blu-Ray esp if it looks really nice.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #538
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Yeah the audio is always so much better on a blu-ray, along with the picture quality obviously. Collecting blu-rays definitely is an addiction for me too, I'm up to 348 currently.. and want so many more.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #539
cos88
Banned

thx for answers.

so let's say i download this: http://torrentz.eu/517f07c1f1e5f1dee...4e2e825daed117

Captain Phillips 1080p, then i put in on my 20gb usb stick and put it in my 50 inch samsung tv.

if i buy a blue ray player the sound and some other stuff mentioned above are better than my illegal download??
cos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #540
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Yeah it will be better. That is just going to be a compressed rip of the movie, while its still going to be really good quality considering its 13gb its not true bluray quality.

I still download movies... but its generally just for movies I haven't seen yet or can't get on bluray yet.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: