Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #61
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

I just started getting blu-rays recently. Collecting what I consider to be my favourite movies. So far:

The Dark Knight
Sin City
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Neverending Story
Into the Wild
The Lives of Others
Synecdoche, New York
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #62
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Does anyone have the "Once Upon A Time In America" blu-ray? i wanna get it.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #63
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
do you really notice much difference? honestly? i watch dvd's in my blu ray player ona 42 inch hd plasma, it is suposse to "upscale" to 720 but i think thats bullshit, that would involve creating pixels that arent there. but the quality is very good. im yet to even watch a blu ray disc in my blu ray player, i really cant justify tripple the price or more for a blu ray when the picture quality is so damn good anyway. im keen to see something just to compare tho.

I have picked up some of my blu rays from Blockbuster. Once a film has been out for a month or so they start selling the ex rental copies.

I have picked up

Hellboy 2 for £7
Iron Man £8
Shutter Island £7

Not too bad considering a brand new DVD usually costs the same or more.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #64
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Toy Story 3
Inception
3:10 to Yuma
Reservoir Dogs
Dark City
Jaccob's Ladder
Un Prophete
Once upon a time in America
Twelve Monkeys
Pans labyrinth
Kill Bill 1-2
Lord of the Rings Triology
From dusk till dawn
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #65
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The difference between DVDs and Blu Rays is massive. Absolutely massive... Especially if you are talking about full 1080p, but even at 720p.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #66
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Toy Story 3
Inception
3:10 to Yuma
Reservoir Dogs
Dark City
Jaccob's Ladder
Un Prophete
Once upon a time in America
Twelve Monkeys
Pans labyrinth
Kill Bill 1-2
Lord of the Rings Triology
From dusk till dawn

ooh my favorite collection so far

kudos for jacob's ladder
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #67
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

complete Superman collection on June 13th

special edition digibook 50th anniversary of the Hustler coming out on the 17th of this month...definitely going to cop this one

and Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 coming out on BD, most definitely picking this one up
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #68
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Pulp Fiction in June this year, no date yet
Platoon May 24th

Wow on these two. Must haves.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #69
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh, I got a Bruce Springsteen boxset for X-Mas that has some concert Blu Rays and I remembered I got Burn After Reading too.

edit- and Gran Turino. Didn't like it much but it was pretty funny at points.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #70
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

some details for the Fighter BD, plus a video:

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment has made available a video snippet from the special features for the The Fighter Blu-ray, which streets today. It shows how actor Christian Bale painstakingly prepared for his Oscar-winning role as boxing trainer Dick Eklund – impressing even the real Eklund.

http://www.eonline.com/videos/v98146...eaturette.html

also, season 4 of Mad Men as well as seasons 1-4 boxset will be released on March 28th
Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #71
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For those that buy Blu Rays often... Have you ever considered installing a Blu Ray burner on your PC or Mac? It seems that this would be much more cost efficient, although the blank Blu Rays are still pretty expensive.

I've actually thought about getting one myself, but with my computer hooked into my TV, it makes more sense just to download the Blu Ray data and not have to worry about a physical disc.

What say you?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #72
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
For those that buy Blu Rays often... Have you ever considered installing a Blu Ray burner on your PC or Mac? It seems that this would be much more cost efficient, although the blank Blu Rays are still pretty expensive.

I've actually thought about getting one myself, but with my computer hooked into my TV, it makes more sense just to download the Blu Ray data and not have to worry about a physical disc.

What say you?

I did this for DVD's, I still have hundreds of them. I never, ever use them anymore.

For me there's a few cons:

[1] Blanks are expensive. If you want to enjoy the full benefits of modern BD's, 50 gig discs are a must, and those cost over $100 for a 50 disc bundle. Also, expect to write at no more than 4x's/

[2] Finding full BD's on torrent sites are very rare, and for older release? It's nearly impossible. The reason most people buy BD's and not DVD's are for the quality, and the overall package including the plethora of extras you get.

[3] Connecting directly to a TV is much more cost efficient, you sure said it. For the cost of one bundle, you can buy an external 2TB drive and store the data and watch it whenever you please.

These are the negatives for me personally, I'm not speaking for everyone.

Also, like I said earlier in this thread:

Quote:
I don't care either way. I like to buy them now because I like them being displayed. I get to watch all the extras on my big TV. Having them displayed is a great talking point and conversation starter, and you know what? It's fun collecting them.

Waiting for a new BD to be released, reading the reviews, ordering it online, waiting for the package to arrive, opening the package, watching it, then shelving it and displaying it is a very pleasurable experience for me. It's a fun process. It's something to do.

And I've been buying BD's of movies I've never seen. What better way to watch a movie you've never seen than on a big tv in the highest possible quality?

If you can afford it, why not? It's not like I'm buying a shit-load of them, either. 4-5 every month or so is plenty for me.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #73
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
ooh my favorite collection so far

kudos for jacob's ladder

Yeah man underrated flick, my collection so far is very sci-fi oriented, I'm gonna try to focus on some older classics and the great comedies now
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #74
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I did this for DVD's, I still have hundreds of them. I never, ever use them anymore.

For me there's a few cons:

[1] Blanks are expensive. If you want to enjoy the full benefits of modern BD's, 50 gig discs are a must, and those cost over $100 for a 50 disc bundle. Also, expect to write at no more than 4x's/

[2] Finding full BD's on torrent sites are very rare, and for older release? It's nearly impossible. The reason most people buy BD's and not DVD's are for the quality, and the overall package including the plethora of extras you get.

[3] Connecting directly to a TV is much more cost efficient, you sure said it. For the cost of one bundle, you can buy an external 2TB drive and store the data and watch it whenever you please.

These are the negatives for me personally, I'm not speaking for everyone.

Also, like I said earlier in this thread:

If you can afford it, why not? It's not like I'm buying a shit-load of them, either. 4-5 every month or so is plenty for me.

Excellent points. Like you said, if you can afford it and it is something that you really enjoy, why not? While I sit and wait for someone else to upload a 1080p Blu Ray onto a torrent site, you are being proactive and acquiring the thing yourself.

My only response to the numbered list above is No. 2. If you had a BD burner, couldn't you -- in theory -- just rent BDs and pull the data off yourself... Make the BD that way?

Or, are BDs not widely available at rental places? I don't even know because all of my movie stuff is done through torrents these days.

It does seem like a huge hassle and pretty expensive when the other alternative to buying them is doing what I do with the external drive and downloads, though. Then again, I'm not getting the 50 gig versions with all of the extras... I'd say the average size of a 1080p movie download for me is 15 gigs.

Now, the guys uploading the movies on the sites that I'm a member of are masters at encoding using the least amount of data possible, but there is certainly something worthwhile on that extra 35 gigs. I can certainly see the benefit in just buying them.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-15-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #75
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Yeah man underrated flick, my collection so far is very sci-fi oriented, I'm gonna try to focus on some older classics and the great comedies now
Jacob's Ladder is one of my all-time favorites. It was the Sixth Sense long before that movie was even being thought about... It is also greatly superior in other aspects to the Sixth Sense. That is the reason I always felt like the Sixth Sense was greatly overrated.... I felt like I had seen it before, but better, in Jacob's Ladder.

Great movie.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: