Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #61
step_back
College superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,818
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
do you really notice much difference? honestly? i watch dvd's in my blu ray player ona 42 inch hd plasma, it is suposse to "upscale" to 720 but i think thats bullshit, that would involve creating pixels that arent there. but the quality is very good. im yet to even watch a blu ray disc in my blu ray player, i really cant justify tripple the price or more for a blu ray when the picture quality is so damn good anyway. im keen to see something just to compare tho.

I have picked up some of my blu rays from Blockbuster. Once a film has been out for a month or so they start selling the ex rental copies.

I have picked up

Hellboy 2 for £7
Iron Man £8
Shutter Island £7

Not too bad considering a brand new DVD usually costs the same or more.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #62
macmac
Gov'n
 
macmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Avatar
300
Toy Story 3
Inception
3:10 to Yuma
Reservoir Dogs
Dark City
Jaccob's Ladder
Un Prophete
Once upon a time in America
Twelve Monkeys
Pans labyrinth
Kill Bill 1-2
Lord of the Rings Triology
From dusk till dawn
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #63
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,815
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

The difference between DVDs and Blu Rays is massive. Absolutely massive... Especially if you are talking about full 1080p, but even at 720p.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #64
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Avatar
300
Toy Story 3
Inception
3:10 to Yuma
Reservoir Dogs
Dark City
Jaccob's Ladder
Un Prophete
Once upon a time in America
Twelve Monkeys
Pans labyrinth
Kill Bill 1-2
Lord of the Rings Triology
From dusk till dawn

ooh my favorite collection so far

kudos for jacob's ladder
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #65
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

complete Superman collection on June 13th

special edition digibook 50th anniversary of the Hustler coming out on the 17th of this month...definitely going to cop this one

and Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 coming out on BD, most definitely picking this one up
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #66
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Pulp Fiction in June this year, no date yet
Platoon May 24th

Wow on these two. Must haves.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #67
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22,961
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Oh, I got a Bruce Springsteen boxset for X-Mas that has some concert Blu Rays and I remembered I got Burn After Reading too.

edit- and Gran Turino. Didn't like it much but it was pretty funny at points.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #68
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

some details for the Fighter BD, plus a video:

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment has made available a video snippet from the special features for the The Fighter Blu-ray, which streets today. It shows how actor Christian Bale painstakingly prepared for his Oscar-winning role as boxing trainer Dick Eklund – impressing even the real Eklund.

http://www.eonline.com/videos/v98146...eaturette.html

also, season 4 of Mad Men as well as seasons 1-4 boxset will be released on March 28th
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #69
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,815
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

For those that buy Blu Rays often... Have you ever considered installing a Blu Ray burner on your PC or Mac? It seems that this would be much more cost efficient, although the blank Blu Rays are still pretty expensive.

I've actually thought about getting one myself, but with my computer hooked into my TV, it makes more sense just to download the Blu Ray data and not have to worry about a physical disc.

What say you?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #70
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
For those that buy Blu Rays often... Have you ever considered installing a Blu Ray burner on your PC or Mac? It seems that this would be much more cost efficient, although the blank Blu Rays are still pretty expensive.

I've actually thought about getting one myself, but with my computer hooked into my TV, it makes more sense just to download the Blu Ray data and not have to worry about a physical disc.

What say you?

I did this for DVD's, I still have hundreds of them. I never, ever use them anymore.

For me there's a few cons:

[1] Blanks are expensive. If you want to enjoy the full benefits of modern BD's, 50 gig discs are a must, and those cost over $100 for a 50 disc bundle. Also, expect to write at no more than 4x's/

[2] Finding full BD's on torrent sites are very rare, and for older release? It's nearly impossible. The reason most people buy BD's and not DVD's are for the quality, and the overall package including the plethora of extras you get.

[3] Connecting directly to a TV is much more cost efficient, you sure said it. For the cost of one bundle, you can buy an external 2TB drive and store the data and watch it whenever you please.

These are the negatives for me personally, I'm not speaking for everyone.

Also, like I said earlier in this thread:

Quote:
I don't care either way. I like to buy them now because I like them being displayed. I get to watch all the extras on my big TV. Having them displayed is a great talking point and conversation starter, and you know what? It's fun collecting them.

Waiting for a new BD to be released, reading the reviews, ordering it online, waiting for the package to arrive, opening the package, watching it, then shelving it and displaying it is a very pleasurable experience for me. It's a fun process. It's something to do.

And I've been buying BD's of movies I've never seen. What better way to watch a movie you've never seen than on a big tv in the highest possible quality?

If you can afford it, why not? It's not like I'm buying a shit-load of them, either. 4-5 every month or so is plenty for me.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #71
macmac
Gov'n
 
macmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
ooh my favorite collection so far

kudos for jacob's ladder

Yeah man underrated flick, my collection so far is very sci-fi oriented, I'm gonna try to focus on some older classics and the great comedies now
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #72
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,815
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I did this for DVD's, I still have hundreds of them. I never, ever use them anymore.

For me there's a few cons:

[1] Blanks are expensive. If you want to enjoy the full benefits of modern BD's, 50 gig discs are a must, and those cost over $100 for a 50 disc bundle. Also, expect to write at no more than 4x's/

[2] Finding full BD's on torrent sites are very rare, and for older release? It's nearly impossible. The reason most people buy BD's and not DVD's are for the quality, and the overall package including the plethora of extras you get.

[3] Connecting directly to a TV is much more cost efficient, you sure said it. For the cost of one bundle, you can buy an external 2TB drive and store the data and watch it whenever you please.

These are the negatives for me personally, I'm not speaking for everyone.

Also, like I said earlier in this thread:



If you can afford it, why not? It's not like I'm buying a shit-load of them, either. 4-5 every month or so is plenty for me.

Excellent points. Like you said, if you can afford it and it is something that you really enjoy, why not? While I sit and wait for someone else to upload a 1080p Blu Ray onto a torrent site, you are being proactive and acquiring the thing yourself.

My only response to the numbered list above is No. 2. If you had a BD burner, couldn't you -- in theory -- just rent BDs and pull the data off yourself... Make the BD that way?

Or, are BDs not widely available at rental places? I don't even know because all of my movie stuff is done through torrents these days.

It does seem like a huge hassle and pretty expensive when the other alternative to buying them is doing what I do with the external drive and downloads, though. Then again, I'm not getting the 50 gig versions with all of the extras... I'd say the average size of a 1080p movie download for me is 15 gigs.

Now, the guys uploading the movies on the sites that I'm a member of are masters at encoding using the least amount of data possible, but there is certainly something worthwhile on that extra 35 gigs. I can certainly see the benefit in just buying them.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-15-2011 at 06:13 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #73
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,815
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Yeah man underrated flick, my collection so far is very sci-fi oriented, I'm gonna try to focus on some older classics and the great comedies now
Jacob's Ladder is one of my all-time favorites. It was the Sixth Sense long before that movie was even being thought about... It is also greatly superior in other aspects to the Sixth Sense. That is the reason I always felt like the Sixth Sense was greatly overrated.... I felt like I had seen it before, but better, in Jacob's Ladder.

Great movie.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #74
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Yeah man underrated flick, my collection so far is very sci-fi oriented, I'm gonna try to focus on some older classics and the great comedies now

Underrated, yes definitely. It's usually forgotten in horror/thriller/science fiction lists but It's just as good as the ones that aren't. Beware of the Uncle Buck BD that was released recently in case you were thinking about that one.

Also, I'd like to recommend www.blu-ray.com for your entire BD needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sexy
Excellent points. Like you said, if you can afford it and it is something that you really enjoy, why not? While I sit and wait for someone else to upload a 1080p Blu Ray onto a torrent site, you are being proactive and acquiring the thing yourself.

My only response to the numbered list above is No. 2. If you had a BD burner, couldn't you -- in theory -- just rent BDs and pull the data off yourself... Make the BD that way?

Or, are BDs not widely available at rental places? I don't even know because all of my movie stuff is done through torrents these days.

It does seem like a huge hassle and pretty expensive when the other alternative to buying them is doing what I do with the external drive and downloads, though. Then again, I'm not getting the 50 gig versions with all of the extras... I'd say the average size of a 1080p movie download for me is 15 gigs.

I actually don't know how available BD's are, I've honestly never even looked into it, however I seriously doubt you'd have any trouble finding new releases. Let's look at that for a second, though. Does anyone actually physically rent movies anymore? And when you did, how many BD's were displayed? Usually 1-2, maybe 5 to the entire wall of DVD's. So maybe It's grown to 10 these days? Unless you're there on the day It's released, early in the day, chances are you're going to have to wait a week or so to get the disc if you didn't make it in time. And that's for new movies. If you want to say, rent the release of Taxi Driver, would Blockbuster even have that to rent? I doubt it. They'd have it for sale for sure, but rent? Ehhh.

Also, if you're renting online through Blockbuster or Netflix, there's no way in holy f*ck you're getting that movie for at least a week or two. Stream it would be an option but that has It's cons as well.

Another down-fall of renting and burning is: those full BD's like I said are massive in size, 40-50 gigs depending on how much is on the disc as far as extras. Ripping and burning that one movie is going to take FOREVER. Shit, it used to take 30 minutes to rip a 4 gig DVD on average with a dual core machine. 50 gigs on say a quad core? Holy shit you're talking an overnight, maybe longer process.

God, that just sounds awful. Ripping that much data and then burning at such a slow speed. Is it really worth it?

You've got the best set up for someone who doesn't want to shell out the money and doesn't care about displaying the movie or having a physical copy. Just plug in a cable and bam, you're all set. You don't even have to keep the movie and take up space, delete them after if you please. Or keep them, whatever.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #75
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,493
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Jacob's Ladder is one of my all-time favorites. It was the Sixth Sense long before that movie was even being thought about... It is also greatly superior in other aspects to the Sixth Sense. That is the reason I always felt like the Sixth Sense was greatly overrated.... I felt like I had seen it before, but better, in Jacob's Ladder.

Great movie.

Nooooo!

To be fair, I saw the Sixth Sense way before Jacob's Ladder and it was in theaters. It'll probably always be one of my favorite horrors, after the Shining and Videodrome of course ;)
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy