Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #76
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Yeah man underrated flick, my collection so far is very sci-fi oriented, I'm gonna try to focus on some older classics and the great comedies now

Underrated, yes definitely. It's usually forgotten in horror/thriller/science fiction lists but It's just as good as the ones that aren't. Beware of the Uncle Buck BD that was released recently in case you were thinking about that one.

Also, I'd like to recommend www.blu-ray.com for your entire BD needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sexy
Excellent points. Like you said, if you can afford it and it is something that you really enjoy, why not? While I sit and wait for someone else to upload a 1080p Blu Ray onto a torrent site, you are being proactive and acquiring the thing yourself.

My only response to the numbered list above is No. 2. If you had a BD burner, couldn't you -- in theory -- just rent BDs and pull the data off yourself... Make the BD that way?

Or, are BDs not widely available at rental places? I don't even know because all of my movie stuff is done through torrents these days.

It does seem like a huge hassle and pretty expensive when the other alternative to buying them is doing what I do with the external drive and downloads, though. Then again, I'm not getting the 50 gig versions with all of the extras... I'd say the average size of a 1080p movie download for me is 15 gigs.

I actually don't know how available BD's are, I've honestly never even looked into it, however I seriously doubt you'd have any trouble finding new releases. Let's look at that for a second, though. Does anyone actually physically rent movies anymore? And when you did, how many BD's were displayed? Usually 1-2, maybe 5 to the entire wall of DVD's. So maybe It's grown to 10 these days? Unless you're there on the day It's released, early in the day, chances are you're going to have to wait a week or so to get the disc if you didn't make it in time. And that's for new movies. If you want to say, rent the release of Taxi Driver, would Blockbuster even have that to rent? I doubt it. They'd have it for sale for sure, but rent? Ehhh.

Also, if you're renting online through Blockbuster or Netflix, there's no way in holy f*ck you're getting that movie for at least a week or two. Stream it would be an option but that has It's cons as well.

Another down-fall of renting and burning is: those full BD's like I said are massive in size, 40-50 gigs depending on how much is on the disc as far as extras. Ripping and burning that one movie is going to take FOREVER. Shit, it used to take 30 minutes to rip a 4 gig DVD on average with a dual core machine. 50 gigs on say a quad core? Holy shit you're talking an overnight, maybe longer process.

God, that just sounds awful. Ripping that much data and then burning at such a slow speed. Is it really worth it?

You've got the best set up for someone who doesn't want to shell out the money and doesn't care about displaying the movie or having a physical copy. Just plug in a cable and bam, you're all set. You don't even have to keep the movie and take up space, delete them after if you please. Or keep them, whatever.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #77
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Jacob's Ladder is one of my all-time favorites. It was the Sixth Sense long before that movie was even being thought about... It is also greatly superior in other aspects to the Sixth Sense. That is the reason I always felt like the Sixth Sense was greatly overrated.... I felt like I had seen it before, but better, in Jacob's Ladder.

Great movie.

Nooooo!

To be fair, I saw the Sixth Sense way before Jacob's Ladder and it was in theaters. It'll probably always be one of my favorite horrors, after the Shining and Videodrome of course ;)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #78
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Juges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation here

Movies:
Australia
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Wall-E
Indiana Jones (4th)
The Pirates of the Caribbean

There are probably ~15-20 more that I can't remember now

TV shows:
Supernatural (all seasons available: 6-9)
Smallville (all seasons available: 1, 3-5)
Mad Men (1-3)
Breaking Bad (1-2)
Bones (3-4)
Vampire Diaries (1)

I'm definitely more of a TV show guy (I own ~100 seasons on DVD/BR), so I buy new seasons often. I used to buy movies a lot, but not so much anymore unless it is a movie I really want.

I download a bunch, but like having the hard copy for some reason
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #79
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

lol australia

from dusk til dawn is coming out on the 22nd, macmac do you have a foreign version? i cant find one anywhere, maybe its a dvd and you mistaked it? just wondering, not trying to blow out your huge blu ray/meth lab
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #80
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

lotr extended announced for june 28th

Quote:
Confirming earlier reports, Warner Home Video has officially announced the Blu-ray release of the extended version of The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy for June 28. This three-movie collection will be presented in a 15-disc set (6 BDs, 9 DVDs), packaged in multi-disc elite packaging inside a premium rigid slipcase, with an SRP of $119.98. Each movie will be split across two discs. Audio will be 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. The Fellowship of the Ring has been remastered from the original 2k digital files.

once upon a time in the west set for bd as well, may 31
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #81
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

leopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this board

you can find some solid movies in blu-ray form less than $7 on a good day.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #82
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
you can find some solid movies in blu-ray form less than $7 on a good day.

I haven't seen many that cheap just yet but there's a ton of good movies on BD for $9.99 in huge bins at places like Wal-Mart and Target.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #83
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
lol australia

from dusk til dawn is coming out on the 22nd, macmac do you have a foreign version? i cant find one anywhere, maybe its a dvd and you mistaked it? just wondering, not trying to blow out your huge blu ray/meth lab

I guess it's the Canadian release? Didn't realize it, bought it at blockbuster for 12$
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #84
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I guess it's the Canadian release? Didn't realize it, bought it at blockbuster for 12$

damn canucks

theres a few canadian only releases that i want, i dont even know if i can buy them yet, haven't started researching

anyways, this is an incredibly shitty week for releases, only one of note: stand by me bd, rated 4/5 by blu-ray.com
Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #85
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

holy shit review of taxi driver bd

Quote:
The Columbia Pictures logo looks kinda rough. Bummer. That's about all there is that's bad to say about Sony's breathtakingly gorgeous Blu-ray release of Taxi Driver. A recent recipient of a 4K restoration, Taxi Driver looks extraordinarily good, so good, in fact, that it's difficult to imagine the movie looking any better than this upon its initial theatrical release in 1976. That's the beauty of this restoration; the film looks as it's meant to look: it's occasionally a bit rough around the edges -- a few scenes appear soft, colors are slightly dulled, a bit of grain swirls around the image - - but the critical factor for this and most any Blu-ray release, really, is preserving the integrity of the image as it was and was meant to be seen. Sony's Blu-ray release does just that. As a general rule, clarity is astounding -- positively astounding -- and viewers both intimately familiar with Scorsese's film and Cinematographer Michael Chapman's handiwork or new to the picture will be awed at the way the image doesn't look like a new 2011 movie, but looks like a brand new 1976 release. The general film-like texture makes this a revelation, and the Blu-ray resolution, grain retention, and the like only add to the way the transfer so effortlessly brings out the finest available details, right down to ever-so-slight layers of dirt on Bickle's yellow taxi. Facial and clothing details are extraordinary, too, and shadow detail is top-notch; black levels are positively immaculate. As noted, colors aren't particularly vibrant, but they appear in such a way that they blend into the general context and broader look for which Scorsese's films strives. Still, the yellow cab, various shades of period clothing, and even the bluing on Bickle's .44 magnum revolver all look positively gorgeous within the context of the film's parameters. In short, this is a revelation, one of the finest transfers of a classic film ever to grace a Blu-ray disc. Sony continues to prove to be the cream of the crop when it comes to quality of Blu-ray transfers; Taxi Driver may be the studio's crowning achievement to date.

MUST buy for everyone

list of extras:

Quote:
# Interactive Script to Screen: A unique feature that presents the script on-screen as the film plays. Users may choose to sync the script with the film or to peruse it independently of the movie.
# Original 1986 Audio Commentary: Originally recorded for the Criterion Collection LaserDisc release of Taxi Driver, this track features Director Martin Scorsese and Writer Paul Schrader. Scorsese discusses his filmmaking style, shooting in New York, set design, casting, and plenty of other insightful tidbits. Meanwhile, Schrader discusses the rapidity with which he wrote the script, the themes of the story, the genesis of metaphor through theme, refinements to the script along the way, and plenty more. The commentators were recorded separately and later edited together. A moderator of sorts identifies the speakers and provides various background tidbits of her own.
# Audio Commentary: University of Virginia Professor Robert Kolker delivers what is easily the best and certainly most unique commentary of the bunch. His insights are incredibly precise and thought-provoking as he dissects the picture from every conceivable angle; he points out nuances in the photography and colors, how every scene emphasizes the greater whole, and much more. This track is basically akin to attending a film class lecture; it is alone worth the price of admission.
# Audio Commentary: Writer Paul Schrader returns to man the third and final track, discussing candidly the fallacies in his original script, differences from the script and the final film, the superiority of an actor demonstrating a trait rather than describing it, the performances of the cast, and plenty more. There are a few lengthy stretches of silence; still, this is a quality track, but if time is a factor it's the one of the three to gloss over.
# Martin Scorsese on Taxi Driver (1080p, 16:52): The director discusses what it took to get the film onto the screen: the people who made it happen, the casting process, Writer Paul Schrader's vision, the filmmakers's passion for the project, his inspirations and shooting styles, the character of Travis Bickle, the film's noir roots and European influences, and more.
# Producing Taxi Driver (1080p, 9:53): Producer Michael Phillips speaks on his involvement in the project: his attraction to the script, the film's themes, its characters, the work of Director Martin Scorsese and Actor Robert De Niro, the friction between the filmmakers and the studio, and other fascinating insights. Writer Paul Schrader also shares a few thoughts throughout the piece.
# God's Lonely Man (1080p, 21:42): An in-depth look at Travis Bickle, set against the backdrop of Writer Paul Schrader discussing his personal background and his influences in and process of writing the script.
# Influence and Appreciation: A Martin Scorsese Tribute (1080p, 18:30): Oliver Stone, Paul Schrader, Roger Corman, Robert De Niro, Robert Kolker, and others speak on the work and style of Director Martin Scorsese while also exploring the man behind the films.
# Taxi Driver Stories (1080p, 22:23): Former cab drivers discuss working in New York City in the 1970s.
# Making Taxi Driver (480p, 1:10:55): A comprehensive documentary that covers the entire filmmaking process, looking at the qualities and themes of the film, the work of the cast and crew, the film's legacy, and plenty more. Much of the information overlaps from previous commentaries and supplements, but viewers looking for a piece that's thorough but a bit more concise than the entire supplemental package will find much value here.
# Travis' New York (1080p, 6:16): Taxi Driver Cinematographer Michael Chapman and former New York Mayor Ed Koch discuss the New York of the 1970s.
# Travis' New York Locations (1080p, 4:49): A fascinating split-screen feature that shows nine clips from the 1975 film alongside the same New York locations as they were in 2006.
# Intro to Storyboards by Martin Scorsese (1080p, 4:32): The director speaks on the importance of storyboarding to his success.
# Storyboard to Film Comparison (1080p, 8:21): Various scenes played alongside their hand-drawn storyboard counterparts.
# Galleries (1080p, 9:28): Bernard Herrmann Score, On Location, Publicity Materials, and Scorsese at Work.
# Taxi Driver Theatrical Trailer (480p, 2:09).
# BD-Live.
# MovieIQ.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #86
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

the only thing i think is missing is more involvement from de niro

how awesome would a commentary track of de niro and scorsese be?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #87
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Iam just waiting for Finding Nemo to come out on Blu Ray.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #88
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Iam just waiting for Finding Nemo to come out on Blu Ray.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #89
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Dont deny its awsomeness!

Really though all the animation movies look awsome on Blu Ray.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #90
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Dont deny its awsomeness!

Really though all the animation movies look awsome on Blu Ray.

Word. I'm gonna get a few: Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, the Lion King, Wall-E, Coraline
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: