Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #121
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

Mr. Grieves has decent reputationMr. Grieves has decent reputation
Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
So as some of you know, I recently upgraded the shit out of my TV, and will soon be purchasing a top-of-the-line Blu-Ray player. You also may know that I have a very extensive library of HD-quality digital film rips.

What films out there absolutely must be watched on Blu-Ray instead of via a 1080p Blu-Ray rip?? I'm thinking it has to be a combination of quality of the film, its rewatchability, and visual awesomity.

What are the best Blu-Ray titles to own based on the aforementioned criteria??

Avatar immediately fits that criteria. It's like watching it in 3d when you have a top set up, even when it's not 3d lol. My blu-ray collection isn't the best/biggest but 300 was pretty good too.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #122
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Excellent points. Like you said, if you can afford it and it is something that you really enjoy, why not? While I sit and wait for someone else to upload a 1080p Blu Ray onto a torrent site, you are being proactive and acquiring the thing yourself.

My only response to the numbered list above is No. 2. If you had a BD burner, couldn't you -- in theory -- just rent BDs and pull the data off yourself... Make the BD that way?

Or, are BDs not widely available at rental places? I don't even know because all of my movie stuff is done through torrents these days.

It does seem like a huge hassle and pretty expensive when the other alternative to buying them is doing what I do with the external drive and downloads, though. Then again, I'm not getting the 50 gig versions with all of the extras... I'd say the average size of a 1080p movie download for me is 15 gigs.

Now, the guys uploading the movies on the sites that I'm a member of are masters at encoding using the least amount of data possible, but there is certainly something worthwhile on that extra 35 gigs. I can certainly see the benefit in just buying them.

If you're a heavy BR downloader just get a newsgroup subscription because everything is available before it comes out, the speeds are unmatched, and so is the quality of rips. The serious movie guys are using newsgroups.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #123
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I haven't bought many movies in a long time and I'm not in a hurry to buy movies I already have on DVD, so my collection is weak:

Beerfest
The Hangover
Inglourious Basterds
Vantage Point
The Town
The Wrestler
Oldboy
Predators
Let the Right One In
Zombieland
Inception
Iron Man 2
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #124
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
If you're a heavy BR downloader just get a newsgroup subscription because everything is available before it comes out, the speeds are unmatched, and so is the quality of rips. The serious movie guys are using newsgroups.

Any newsgroups you would recommend??
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #125
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For providers I think GigaNews is the best.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #126
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here is the artwork for the much anticipated Platoon release:

Now that's something I'd frame and put on my wall.

The price is pretty good for pre-order: $16.99

Remember, if you pre-order something at one price, It's LOCKED IN, it doesn't matter if it goes up, you pre-ordered at THAT PRICE, it can't get higher, however, if it gets LOWER, Amazon will fund the difference to your account or credit card, guaranteed. Just pre-ordered this bad-boy.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #127
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think I'm about to get some new blu rays. Anyone want to give some suggestions of any that are basically MUST HAVES, because they're so amazingly better than the DVD version?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #128
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I think I'm about to get some new blu rays. Anyone want to give some suggestions of any that are basically MUST HAVES, because they're so amazingly better than the DVD version?

the new Taxi Driver BD is probably one of the best ever based on the reviews, 5/5 and 10/10 everywhere. Video is flawless and so is the audio, a TON of extras...Awesome case and slip-cover, and you can still get it on sale if you order before next Tuesday.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #129
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I can't recommend this site any more, It's the best out there IMO: www.blu-ray.com

The forum is f*cking great as well. Been posting there every day since I started buying and collecting BD's.

Also, check out the BD's listed by best review, Taxi Driver is #1 right now

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.ph...rating&sortby=

you can also sort it by user reviews, but take those with a grain of salt, some really dumb reviews out there that f*ck with the rating, shit like "the shining stinked i hated it" and then 0/5 on every category
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #130
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I can't recommend this site any more, It's the best out there IMO: www.blu-ray.com

The forum is f*cking great as well. Been posting there every day since I started buying and collecting BD's.

Also, check out the BD's listed by best review, Taxi Driver is #1 right now

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.ph...rating&sortby=

you can also sort it by user reviews, but take those with a grain of salt, some really dumb reviews out there that f*ck with the rating, shit like "the shining stinked i hated it" and then 0/5 on every category
Yeah I was browsing their forums just now checking it out. I think I'm going to slowly start collecting the AFI's 100 years 100 movies that are already on Blu ray and just build. because by and large I agree with the majority of those (although not necessarily their specific ranking)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s... sary_Edition) <----in case you're interested.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #131
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Yeah I was browsing their forums just now checking it out. I think I'm going to slowly start collecting the AFI's 100 years 100 movies that are already on Blu ray and just build. because by and large I agree with the majority of those (although not necessarily their specific ranking)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years%E2%80%A6100_Movies_(10th_Anniver sary_Edition) <----in case you're interested.

Not a bad way to start, look into the Criterion collection. Now those are top notch releases. They are literally the pioneers of how modern BD's and DVD's are presented to the public.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #132
Rose
Moon Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Not a bad way to start, look into the Criterion collection. Now those are top notch releases. They are literally the pioneers of how modern BD's and DVD's are presented to the public.
Isn't that mostly foreign films? I've hardly seen any of those. Although I suppose I could youtube before I buy.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #133
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Isn't that mostly foreign films? I've hardly seen any of those. Although I suppose I could youtube before I buy.

Not mostly, but they do release a lot of them. They are just interested in the best movies, regardless of language or country of origin.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #134
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Here's the Taxi Driver packaging

Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #135
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

the Hustler, May 17th

Bonus features:

Quote:
Commentary by Paul Newman, Carol Rossen (Robert Rossen's Daughter), Dede Allen (Editor), Stefan Gierasch (Actor), Ulu Grosbard (Assistant Director), Richard Schickel (Film Critic, Time Magazine) and Jeff Young (Film Historian)

Featurettes:

(** denotes new to Blu-ray)

Paul Newman at Fox **
Jackie Gleason: The Big Man **
The Real Hustler: Walter Travis **
Life in the Fast Lane: Fast Eddie Felson and The Search for Greatness
Milestones in Cinema History: The Making of The Hustler
Swimming with Sharks: The Art of the Hustle
The Hustler: The Inside Story
Paul Newman: Hollywood's Cool Hand Documentary
Trick Shot Analysis of Five Scenes
How to Make the Shot featuring five scenes