Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
brwnman

Default Monta Ellis

Can we have him? Please? Like F*CK rebuilding. F*ck our young gunz. Time to get Monta Ellis and just let him run tingz.

So exciting to watch, so atheltic, so good...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: Monta Ellis

How in the hell are we supposed to get Monta with the roster we have?
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
brwnman

DeMar, Bargnani, TE

for

Monta +Bad contract (Biedrins?)...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
brwnman

This was just a knee-jerk reaction by me though. I'm watching the game and he is so friggin' exciting to watch.

Players I want?

Steph Curry
Jrue Holiday
Kevin Martin
Monta Ellis
Andre Iguodala (if his contract wasn't so bad)
Aaron Afflalo
Rajon Rondo
Tayshaun Prince
James Harden
Andrew Bogut
Chris Paul
Ronnie Brewer

just some to name off the top of my head...
Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
This was just a knee-jerk reaction by me though. I'm watching the game and he is so friggin' exciting to watch.

Players I want?

Steph Curry
Jrue Holiday
Kevin Martin
Monta Ellis
Andre Iguodala (if his contract wasn't so bad)
Aaron Afflalo
Rajon Rondo
Tayshaun Prince
James Harden
Andrew Bogut
Chris Paul
Ronnie Brewer

One can wish but with BC on Bargs and soon to be Derozan and his refusal to trade him, it seems so unlikely. Unless some crazy GM is willing to take either Calderon or Barbosa its not going to happen
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
One can wish but with BC on Bargs and soon to be Derozan and his refusal to trade him, it seems so unlikely. Unless some crazy GM is willing to take either Calderon or Barbosa its not going to happen

Oh i absolutely know that. I just want him. He is a fun player to watch. We just haven't had many exciting players to watch in recent years...
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Oh i absolutely know that. I just want him. He is a fun player to watch. We just haven't had many exciting players to watch in recent years...
I'm with you brwnman, i've had that same thought (not specifically about Monta Ellis but about other players). I've had the feeling of "**** this team, give me an exciting player to watch and cheer for." BUT, I feel like this summer we really have a shot at making a couple of significant moves so for the first time in quite some time I do feel a little hopeful. Only thing that worries me is BC f*cking up again.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:

Players I want? (snip)

Andrew Bogut

Chris Kaman ?

Greg Oden ?

Joel Przbylla ?
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

I would to have him on my team.. but its just not realistic.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Chris Kaman ?

Greg Oden ?

Joel Przbylla ?

Chris Kaman to me is actually a gettable target. The only thing is, we're not in a position to get him. He's a little pricey, but he is the prototypical Center. He'll rebound, play some D, and can play in the post. His two big issues? Staying healthy, and playing against faster bigs. One we can deal with, the other, not so much...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

It's so funny that you guys would love an all offense, no defense guy like Monta Ellis and yet you would complain about Bargnani who at least plays decent man defense to go along with his stellar offense.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
It's so funny that you guys would love an all offense, no defense guy like Monta Ellis and yet you would complain about Bargnani who at least plays decent man defense to go along with his stellar offense.
Again, position matters. And for their position, Monta is still not half as bad as Bargnani. Also, stop bringing Bargnani into every discussion. I made this thread because of how exciting Monta is as a player...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Again, position matters. And for their position, Monta is still not half as bad as Bargnani. Also, stop bringing Bargnani into every discussion. I made this thread because of how exciting Monta is as a player...
So the SG isn't an important defensive position? How would Monta stack up against Kobe? Ray Allen? Joe Johnson? Manu Ginobli? D-Wade? Etc... you see where i'm going with this. This to me proves you guys simply don't like Bargnani. Why not a practical guy like an Eric Gordon let's say who puts up nearly as many points (albeit not as flashy) but plays a lot better on the defensive side of the floor?
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
So the SG isn't an important defensive position? How would Monta stack up against Kobe? Ray Allen? Joe Johnson? Manu Ginobli? D-Wade? Etc... you see where i'm going with this. This to me proves you guys simply don't like Bargnani. Why not a practical guy like an Eric Gordon let's say who puts up nearly as many points (albeit not as flashy) but plays a lot better on the defensive side of the floor?

Oohh. I love Eric Gordon. Would love to have him. But as practicality goes, we have a better shot at getting Monta than we do Eric Gordon.

And nope, SG isn't as important as C when it comes to defensive position. Here's the beauty of having Monta and the ugly truth.

On a Monta team, you can have weaker PG and SF offensively, but guys who can just play defense. If you have a tall PG, or a SF who is just a great D player and can hit wide open 3s, that's all you need as far as the backcourt and wings are concerned.

Again, no one hates Bargnani for Bargnani. It's just what he does defensively. As many have said, if he was a 6th man, it wouldn't bother that many people. Even last game against Detroit, Leo and Matt were like, what is bargnani doing? He didn't even try.

There are some very basic concepts that I will lay out for you, for the final time, and I will number them so you can read each one. Get it through your head, repeat it, so you don't ever forget it:

1) Bargnani's most effective position and the position where he can succeed in the NBA the most is PF (a position where the Raptors have 4 guys [in terms of their importance to the future] - Ed Davis, Amir, Dorsey, Evans)

2) Bargnani is a terrible rebounder. (Worst starting rebounder for a C/PF in the NBA)

3) In the NBA, you cannot win, if Bargnani is not surrounded by a defensive minded C who rebounds out of this world (Only one guy in the NBA that is there, Dwight Howard).

4) In the NBA, you cannot win, if Bargnani is not surrounded by Dwight Howard, even if the C is defensive minded, if the wings do not rebound the ball above average to exceptionally well and play defense exceptionally well.

5) Bargnani is best-suited to be a 6th man in the NBA, where when his shot is falling, you keep him on the floor, and when his shot isn't falling you can sit him on the bench. You can put Bargnani on the current Lakers and he'd look fantastic. Heck, you can even put him on the Heat, and he'd look great.

6) Bargnani does nothing but score the ball, and even that, he doesn't do it efficiently. Especially when you consider that he is a big. You don't mind Bargnani shooting 45% from the field if he is hitting at least 38% from three while making around 1.5 3s a game and getting to the FT line 5-6 times a game. (DeMar is similar to Bargnani in that aspect, he doesn't do anything right now except score the ball. He has shown the ability to draw fouls though better than Bargnani).

7) Bargnani cannot create his own shot.

8) Bargnani still hasn't learned how to pass off a double team.

9) Bargnani gets neutralized if you put a smaller guy on him and just crowd his space

10) Bargnani is not improving anymore. This is his 5th year. Players don't usually improve after their 5th year. The first three years are very telling. Players refine their game from then on, but pretty much, what you see is what you get with him. He will never improve on D, he will never become a good rebounder. He has actually regressed this year on D from last year.

11) Bargnani used to be a decent post man to man defender. But once his man put the ball on the floor? See ya!

If I remember more, I will add. But for the time being, memorize this...

Last edited by brwnman : 03-17-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

It is more and more impressive how much effort some posters put just to bash Bargnani and Calderon... Sometimes I would swear that you are fans from a rival team
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: