Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
ksblazer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Unhappy Oden done for the season

Just turned the TV onto ESPN and they are reporting that Oden is done for this season. They are also starting to say that it looks like Greg is a bust for the being the No.1 pick.

This really sucks. Greg is a good guy and dosen't deserve this. But he just can't stay healthy either.

I heard on sports radio earlier this year that the Blazers were going to wait until the end of the season before offering him a contract. I guess they would want to keep him in Portland if the price is right? But the Greg Oden era may be over for the Blazers as well.

So what do you guys think now? Should they try to re-sign Greg and hope he will be able to be healthy and productive in the future? Or should the cut their losses and move on?
ksblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Default Re: Oden done for the season

I honestly just don't know how I can be a good fan of this team anymore. How much more fun can they suck out of basketball?
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Yesterday I described watching the Blazers as being equivalent to watching a train derail and crash into a building in slow motion. It seems today that we jumped many more frames ahead in that footage.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

I can't even describe my reaction when i read this on ESPN, it was a mix of feelings i was like "ohh .. not again." and "ok, again .. it's getting usual".
I'm a supporter of Oden since he came to the league and i'm trying to keep my confidence high in him, but it's getting very very difficult.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Renegade
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo
I honestly just don't know how I can be a good fan of this team anymore. How much more fun can they suck out of basketball?

Wow. Really? Almost sounds as though you think the Blazers are doing this deliberately. Perhaps a more rational response and less emotion should prevail.

Is it really surprising about Oden? He wasn't playing, complaining about pain, and the Blazers were noncommittal about his return. Honestly this situation has been obvious for several months now.

Bottom line is that Oden has really never been an on-court factor. His absense this season has no impact. Without him the Blazers will field a competitive team, especially with the return of Pryzbilla. It is reasonable to expect them to make the playoffs as 7th or 8th seed (like last season).

Expectations for them to win the championship even with a healthy Oden and Roy would have been unrealistic. The team isn't that good.

Last edited by Renegade : 11-19-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
one2

That's really too bad for Greg, the Blazers, and the fans.

Hope he can make definite return and have that career many predicted he should already be having.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
ODEN>DURANT
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Yesterday I described watching the Blazers as being equivalent to watching a train derail and crash into a building in slow motion. It seems today that we jumped many more frames ahead in that footage.

To be fair Myth, we have really bounced back well this season. I know and remember around this time when Oden got injured again and we found out Roy was had no cartlidge in his knees and we went on a 6 game L streak. It was so sad for us Blazers. It seemed like we were going to be below .500 for a long time. I'm really proud of what we've achieved since then. Nate McMillan has done a fantastic job and Rich Cho completed a great trade with Wallace becoming a Blazer. This group never seem to give up. I know we could have been a dynasty had Roy and Oden stayed fit, but you have to give credit to us. Players like Matthews have really stepped up. Aldridge has become one of the most dominant PF's in the league and all of the sudden we are nearly at 50 wins again.

Well done Blazers on proving everyone wrong. Let's go and win a playoff series.
ODEN>DURANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
iamgine

The situation is definitely improving greatly. Maybe Oden can even get healthy and signed for dirt cheap. I still hope he'll make a Mutombo-like impact. Wesley Matthews seems to fill Roy's shoes just fine, perhaps even better since he seems to make Lamarcus Aldridge a beast. Overpaid Roy can lead the 2nd unit for the best bench in the league. Maybe Miller and Camby's expiring contract can be traded for a good point guard and more solid bench players.

Pieces are falling for the Blazers and with a little luck, it's very possible to be one of the contenders for years to come and win a few titles.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEN>DURANT
To be fair Myth, we have really bounced back well this season. I know and remember around this time when Oden got injured again and we found out Roy was had no cartlidge in his knees and we went on a 6 game L streak. It was so sad for us Blazers. It seemed like we were going to be below .500 for a long time. I'm really proud of what we've achieved since then. Nate McMillan has done a fantastic job and Rich Cho completed a great trade with Wallace becoming a Blazer. This group never seem to give up. I know we could have been a dynasty had Roy and Oden stayed fit, but you have to give credit to us. Players like Matthews have really stepped up. Aldridge has become one of the most dominant PF's in the league and all of the sudden we are nearly at 50 wins again.

Well done Blazers on proving everyone wrong. Let's go and win a playoff series.

Agreed. We have had a much better season than it looked like we were heading for.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: