Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #31
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Anyone else think Jalen Rose planned this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I know you are comparing their basketball admission criteria to their normal admission criteria, which much higher. What I am saying is that their basketball admission criteria is much higher than just about every other school in the country.

My reason for the Rose reference was to show that some schools accept players who have shown almost zero academic qualifications for being at school. It wasn't necessarily a knock towards him. Memphis isn't the first school to do something like that, nor will it be the last.

what basis do you have to say this?

You have any stats to say that students at Duke on average have better stats than:

UCLA
Stanford
Notre Dame
Vandy
Wake Forrest
UVA
Bucknell
Layafette
Butler
U of C - Whatever
Texas
BYU
Davidson
Michigan
Lehigh
Florida
-I wont even mention Ivys
etc..

you just know Duke has better students on average? don't see how that is possible without the numbers

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 03-20-2011 at 03:47 AM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #32
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
what basis do you have to say this?

Jalen Rose's comments.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #33
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Jalen Rose's comments.

well that isnt enough to make a solid argument. truth is you have no knowledge of the data necessary to make such a claim.

you have bout in the Duke hype machine....
Old 03-20-2011, 03:55 AM   #34
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There are over 100 division I schools in the NCAA. You listed about 10 or so. I didn't say every school.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #35
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
There are over 100 division I schools in the NCAA. You listed about 10 or so. I didn't say every school.

now you are arguing semantics. im out, it is late. Keep sipping that Duke Kool Aid.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #36
FindingTim
National High School Star

FindingTim is considered somewhat coolFindingTim is considered somewhat coolFindingTim is considered somewhat cool

Grant's article didn't strike me as pretentious at all (unless a rich vocabulary and the ability to write well is considered pretentious)

wouldn't you want to sound articulate in a situation like this? sure, Hill's language might further emphasize the class gap, but at the same time, you can't fault him for being intelligent. I mean, should he have dumbed the letter down and laced it with urban slang?
FindingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #37
jrong
Revolution untelevised

jrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapallaz
A black man showing his education = pretentious.
Awhite man doing the same= douche.

Really....

What kind of controversy are you looking for here? They mean essentially the same thing. In fact, the words are often used together as in: "pretentious douche" I just have never personally heard an African-American called a douche in this context. But, yes Hill was being a douche.

There's a difference between showing your education and trying to show off how smart you are. As somebody said, Hill clearly wrote his editorial for the NYT audience. That's fine. But there's a difference between demonstrating that one is intelligent, literate, and educated and being obnoxious, and a good writer knows when he's crossed that line. As a wise educator once said, using the biggest words doesn't prove you have the most biggest mind.

But, to demonstrate the difference between showing the ability to write intelligently and being a pretentious douche, here are three ways of expressing the same statement:

1. I don't have much money right now (normal, conversational English: fine)

2. I am currently facing some financial hardship (intelligent, well-written English: fine)

3. I am presently in a pusillanimous state (douche!)

See the difference?
jrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #38
OriginalNameGuy
Serious playground baller

OriginalNameGuy has an OK reputation so far

What

He tweeted Grant before the thing aired that it was how he felt as a kid
The whole thing is being blown out of proportion, he's not trying to disrespect anyone just saying how he felt as a young black male growing up in a difficult situation compared to people like Grant who have everything from Day 1
OriginalNameGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #39
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation here

what happened between the 2?

I wasnt even aware the 2 were mad at each other. A summary please?
PistonsFan#21 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: