Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #31
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
Ya, I can see the West comparison. If Williams was another 2 inches taller, he'd probably go top 2. This game's gonna screw up my bracket big time.

If Williams was 6'10 he'd be an absolute beast in the NBA.

I find that PF's are generally getting shorter these days though (guys like Milsap, Blair, Landry, Hayes etc.), so he will probably be okay. Obviously height helps, but I think that because the game is generally becoming more of a Guards game, height isn't absolutely necessary.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #32
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Williams kind of reminds me of Boris Diaw with his skill level on offense. Haven't seen the same playmaking ability but he's much more aggressive (which is a good trade off IMO). Still not high on his defense but his March play so far is really solidifying around top 3 status IMO.

Bracket pretty much going down with Duke tonight
Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #33
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Williams has a very good all-around offensive game. He's athletic enough to be a factor on defense too but that will come down to effort and basketball IQ for him.

I just don't think he's heads and shoulders above any other top 5 guy in the draft for the Raptors to draft him and add to the logjam of PFs. It would be like the Hawks drafting Marvin Williams. He was a big prospect but not good enough to look past the glaring positional need.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #34
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Williams has a very good all-around offensive game. He's athletic enough to be a factor on defense too but that will come down to effort and basketball IQ for him.

I just don't think he's heads and shoulders above any other top 5 guy in the draft for the Raptors to draft him and add to the logjam of PFs. It would be like the Hawks drafting Marvin Williams. He was a big prospect but not good enough to look past the glaring positional need.

Do you think he can play the 3 in case we draft him?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #35
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Do you think he can play the 3 in case we draft him?

sounds like joey graham
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #36
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Kemba's a monster. He scored practically every way possible tonight. I think he's going to be very good in the NBA. I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him.

Hopefully Irving/Knight/Walker match up somewhere in the tourney eventually. Irving's looking great tonight.

I didnt get to see any of UCONN last night.

Kemba keeps rising up the boards and now there are 3 PGs all being raved about by the scouts.

I dont think I would be disappointed with any of the three either AND hopefully .... 2 of the 3 will be available if we pick anywhere from 4 - 8 spot.

Number 1 overall and getting Irving would be fantastic ; but I dont think that he bypass's the Cavs draft board and they have too many balls in the lottery to be comfortable that we might pick ahead of them.

Whereas the Wizards (Wall) TWolves (Spanish prodigy) and Kings (Evans) are all set a PG ahead of us and I doubt they draw a PG.

I mean we can land in 5th but still pick 8th based on the ping pong balls as well right .... so throw in the Nets (set) Clippers (not set a 1) and Pistons (not set at 1) and as i say hoepfully 2 - 3 of these PGs are available.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #37
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I didnt get to see any of UCONN last night.

Kemba keeps rising up the boards and now there are 3 PGs all being raved about by the scouts.

I dont think I would be disappointed with any of the three either AND hopefully .... 2 of the 3 will be available if we pick anywhere from 4 - 8 spot.

Number 1 overall and getting Irving would be fantastic ; but I dont think that he bypass's the Cavs draft board and they have too many balls in the lottery to be comfortable that we might pick ahead of them.

Whereas the Wizards (Wall) TWolves (Spanish prodigy) and Kings (Evans) are all set a PG ahead of us and I doubt they draw a PG.

I mean we can land in 5th but still pick 8th based on the ping pong balls as well right .... so throw in the Nets (set) Clippers (not set a 1) and Pistons (not set at 1) and as i say hoepfully 2 - 3 of these PGs are available.

I think only the Wizards can pretty much be guaranteed not to pick Irving if they're first. I see Tyreke Evans as a shooting guard who can occasionally play some point, so Irving would be a huge upgrade for the Kings. I'm not sure Rubio will ever play for the T-Wolves and he's having a disappoint season this year in Europe. From what I've heard, he hasn't improved his shooting at all.

Games for tonight:

7:15pm UNC (Barnes, Henson) vs. Marquette (Canadian pg Cadougan)
7:27pm Kansas (Selby) vs. Richmond
9:45pm Ohio St. (Sullinger) vs. Kentucky (Knight, Jones)
9:57pm Florida St. (Singleton) vs. VCU
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #38
TMAC-RAPTORS
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
sounds like joey graham

Except Derrick Williams is actually a solid long distance shooter. I'm very high of this guy, i hope he falls to the raptors, god knows they need all the talent they can get.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #39
TMAC-RAPTORS
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Kemba's a monster. He scored practically every way possible tonight. I think he's going to be very good in the NBA. I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him.

Hopefully Irving/Knight/Walker match up somewhere in the tourney eventually. Irving's looking great tonight.

The only thing I'm concerned about with Williams is if he can play small forward or if he's just a power forward that can shoot the 3, like a Corliss Williamson. Can he break the defense down off the dribble; can he defend athletic small forwards? If he can do these things, then he's an excellent option for us.

I would Walker is a terrific college player and all, but i really don't see him having a successful career in the nba. Hes not worth our pick ...

But who knows, maybe he can translate his game like Stephen Curry has
Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #40
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC-RAPTORS
I would Walker is a terrific college player and all, but i really don't see him having a successful career in the nba. Hes not worth our pick ...

But who knows, maybe he can translate his game like Stephen Curry has

He can take anyone off the dribble and create his own shot whenever he wants. He plays good defense. This is what separates him from someone like Fredette who will be another role player in the NBA.

He's dominating all his competition. He gets to the FT line consistently. I just see that he has that "it" factor. Of course his size will scare away a lot of people.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #41
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
He can take anyone off the dribble and create his own shot whenever he wants. He plays good defense. This is what separates him from someone like Fredette who will be another role player in the NBA.

He's dominating all his competition. He gets to the FT line consistently. I just see that he has that "it" factor. Of course his size will scare away a lot of people.

He has Dwyane Wade swagger. I just wish he was 5-6 inches taller.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #42
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Knight continues to impress as Kentucky upsets... Anyone else reminded of Jrue Holliday?

Sullinger played pretty well (despite getting defended very physically by Harrelson) but to be honest I feel Ed Davis brings a lot of the elements of his game already (more shot blocking and he's already shown to be a pretty efficient offensive player in the NBA) . Haven't seen much to put Sullinger over Davis other than maybe having a better motor.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #43
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Knight played like crap tonight though. He has the physical ability but is not smart enough to be getting any big minutes in the NBA right now. I'd sooner risk a pick on him than Kemba Walker though. Not a big fan of either though. The Raptors don't need to get PG tunnel vision for the draft. Irving is the only PG I'd take in the Raptors range.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #44
T-Low
College superstar

So now that it looks like Sullinger will stay in college, how does it look now?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #45
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Knight played like crap tonight though. He has the physical ability but is not smart enough to be getting any big minutes in the NBA right now. I'd sooner risk a pick on him than Kemba Walker though. Not a big fan of either though. The Raptors don't need to get PG tunnel vision for the draft. Irving is the only PG I'd take in the Raptors range.

I'm just impressed with his ability to play the P&R right now at the age of 18 (I think the other aspects of the game will come as he matures). Obviously he wouldn't be an impact guy right now in the NBA though (maybe a top 10 pick though).

Can't really see the Odom comparisons with Jones though, other than the left-handedness and being kind of a tweener. To be fair though, Odom's recent success has come while playing a more conventional type of game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread