Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #91
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet
 
BoogieWoogieMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chillin in the BTE
Posts: 11,831
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I actually don't mind these low risk high reward type of players that BC is bringing in. Bayless and Johnson both have high potential if given the chance. They can stat pad and have higher trade value, they can be throw in's to a trade. Which IMO is a positive for this team. Best of all is that they didn't cost much to get...

Well... I don't consider a 25th pick be equivalent to a lot, unlike some people on this board.

thank you! Finally someone with some sense in their skull! What are the percentage of a 25th pick becoming anything of value. Very slim and they're acting like our giving up a lottery pick. After the top ten, this lottery class is going to be very weak because a lot of students are going to stay in college.

I really like Johnson, plays tough, does the little things and actually plays defense and rebounds the ball. He still has a long way to go, but he's one of those glue guys that you need on your team to contender for a title. He still has around 2-3 years before we know if he is a bonafide piece to the puzzle or a complete bust, perfect for a rebuilding team.

I had high hopes for Bayless and he came out of the gate on fire! Now he's really disappointing me with his play and I can feel that he is frustrated and too afraid to make a mistake in the game by his body language. I hope he learns to put this season behind him, step up his training during the off season and return with a renewed focus for the next season.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #92
Prodigy
Diaw Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VanCity
Posts: 1,785
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I actually don't mind these low risk high reward type of players that BC is bringing in. Bayless and Johnson both have high potential if given the chance. They can stat pad and have higher trade value, they can be throw in's to a trade. Which IMO is a positive for this team. Best of all is that they didn't cost much to get...

Well... I don't consider a 25th pick be equivalent to a lot, unlike some people on this board.

Where the hell is this coming from? I'm pretty sure it's just one or two posters on this board that's been saying it and everyone else chiming in. Bayless sucks. Period. He's been in the league for three years and has been on as many teams. You don't think Portland would've kept him (starved as they were at the 1 prior to Miller coming) if he showed ANY flash of promise? I have seen ONE good game from him (the win over Dallas) that made me think that he actually had any kind of potential. All the other games consist of him dribbling up the court and shooting a jumper, freezing out the other 4 guys on the court. Maybe you guys are high on him because he's fast and 'could' potentially be a backup point that doesn't get burned on every single possession but he just doesn't possess the smarts you need in a point guard.

I don't mind having him on the team to tank with but he should not be in any of our long term plans.
Prodigy is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #93
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Where the hell is this coming from? I'm pretty sure it's just one or two posters on this board that's been saying it and everyone else chiming in. Bayless sucks. Period. He's been in the league for three years and has been on as many teams. You don't think Portland would've kept him (starved as they were at the 1 prior to Miller coming) if he showed ANY flash of promise? I have seen ONE good game from him (the win over Dallas) that made me think that he actually had any kind of potential. All the other games consist of him dribbling up the court and shooting a jumper, freezing out the other 4 guys on the court. Maybe you guys are high on him because he's fast and 'could' potentially be a backup point that doesn't get burned on every single possession but he just doesn't possess the smarts you need in a point guard.

I don't mind having him on the team to tank with but he should not be in any of our long term plans.

Point of it was that it was a low risk high reward type of player. If he stays and has the potential to be something, then yeah you do keep him. If not then you can ship him elsewhere, not a big deal at all. Has Triano given him the minutes that he claimed he would give him? No. This is a rebuilding team and we need to give players like Bayless minutes to see what he can do. Maybe he can't play the point, maybe he can.
kmart is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #94
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

While I do agree with you, in general, i'm personally not so high on Bayless in particular. I don't discredit the move and in fact, I was an advocate of it when it happened. I just feel that based on what we've seen, he's not a good fit for this team. The only way I would see it as logical to keep the guy long term is if he wasn't given any point guard responsibilities at all and brought off the bench like a Jamal Crawford type of guy for instant offense (of course at a far lesser salary). But other than that, I wouldn't be too disappointed if we let him go.
bokes15 is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #95
Prodigy
Diaw Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VanCity
Posts: 1,785
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Point of it was that it was a low risk high reward type of player. If he stays and has the potential to be something, then yeah you do keep him. If not then you can ship him elsewhere, not a big deal at all. Has Triano given him the minutes that he claimed he would give him? No. This is a rebuilding team and we need to give players like Bayless minutes to see what he can do. Maybe he can't play the point, maybe he can.

You act like he's buried on the bench and plays only 5 minutes per game. This guy gets 20 minutes per game. Count that. 20. Triano has more than given him a fair chance to prove he's worth anything.
Prodigy is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #96
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
You act like he's buried on the bench and plays only 5 minutes per game. This guy gets 20 minutes per game. Count that. 20. Triano has more than given him a fair chance to prove he's worth anything.

Okay then maybe in your opinion he can't. What I was trying to say was that it doesn't matter because its a rebuilding team, if he doesn't fit in then he goes if he fits in and the Raps want to keep him he stays. Doesn't matter its a low risk high reward type of thing. IMO he showed flashes of potential when he got to Toronto now it just seems like it died out. When he got here all he would do was attack and try to score, all this "being a point guard" type of thing has set him back IMO.
kmart is offline  
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #97
Jballer
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,399
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
thank you! Finally someone with some sense in their skull! What are the percentage of a 25th pick becoming anything of value. Very slim and they're acting like our giving up a lottery pick. After the top ten, this lottery class is going to be very weak because a lot of students are going to stay in college.

I really like Johnson, plays tough, does the little things and actually plays defense and rebounds the ball. He still has a long way to go, but he's one of those glue guys that you need on your team to contender for a title. He still has around 2-3 years before we know if he is a bonafide piece to the puzzle or a complete bust, perfect for a rebuilding team.

I had high hopes for Bayless and he came out of the gate on fire! Now he's really disappointing me with his play and I can feel that he is frustrated and too afraid to make a mistake in the game by his body language. I hope he learns to put this season behind him, step up his training during the off season and return with a renewed focus for the next season.

+1 +1 +1

Agreed.

Johnson is a known commoditiy. A solid pick up - nothing more. I like the potential of his upside - read potential.

On Bayliss - I am frustrated by the complete lack of consistency. Defensively and somewhat offensively. Last night vs Orlando the guy is on fire - amazing - picked his spots. Against NO - Jarret Jack ate his lunch, drove his car, made love to hs wife and still scored 20. Bayliss in my mind should be up to the challenge and grabbing the initiative to assert himself as a viable 1 - not another 1-2 tweener from College expecting the team to make shots for him.
Jballer is offline  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #98
Jballer
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,399
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Back on subject - sorry

Watching UCONN and Kentucky - I guess I might lean a little to Kemba over Knight.

Both guys seem to have the rep as shoot first pass second - but then both guys are the focal points of their teams without a core of guys to compliment them (generalization). I mean both teams lost some very big pieces over the past 2 years (Thabeet, Cousens, Wall) so these two are it. I think both will be very solid pgs in the bigs.

Walker over Knight by a hair only cause Kemba is a junior and showed more maturity/patience in the big game.
Jballer is offline  
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #99
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet
 
BoogieWoogieMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chillin in the BTE
Posts: 11,831
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Back on subject - sorry

Watching UCONN and Kentucky - I guess I might lean a little to Kemba over Knight.

I'm starting to believe in that as well. What I notice in Kemba is that he steps his game up during important/close games and looks like a leader on the floor. I'm starting to see him as an undersized Alvin Williams, being able to play a huge role during clutch time. Plus, he's insanely quick with the ball in his hands.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline  
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #100
bluerap
Local High School Star
 
bluerap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,030
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

I think Kemba Walker is significantly more talented than Alvin.

I love Alvin, but not even close.

I think Kemba could go on to have a career like chauncey billups.
Knight I have less faith in.

The more I look at this draft board, the more I am disappointed.

There are only 2 players that I think will have a real NBA impact.
Right now Kemba is my number 3.
bluerap is offline  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #101
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,770
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Kemba Walker = worse Raymond Felton. Small, not a good shooter and not much of a playmaker.

I don't like Knight much either but I'd sooner risk it on someone with his potential and physical attributes than Walker.
Qwyjibo is offline  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #102
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Kemba Walker = worse Raymond Felton. Small, not a good shooter and not much of a playmaker.

I don't like Knight much either but I'd sooner risk it on someone with his potential and physical attributes than Walker.

Agreed, I hope we don't draft a PG just cause Jose looks bad on D. I wouldn't mind him back for a young team if they didn't like Bayless and I wouldn't mind keeping Bayless if we didn't have an option at D

Knight and Walker look like projects at the PG. Scorers in college but need to be a point in the NBA. Sorta like the situation Jerryd Bayless has been in for most of his career.

Irving is just the clear cut best PG in this draft. Not really explosive or anything but very skilled, almost a Curry/Billups mix. He'll step in right away and not much work would be needed to become a PG in the NBA.

I'd rather have Calderon stick around than have Knight or Walker
kmart is offline  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #103
EuroWise
GM Star
 
EuroWise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 344
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Agreed, I hope we don't draft a PG just cause Jose looks bad on D. I wouldn't mind him back for a young team if they didn't like Bayless and I wouldn't mind keeping Bayless if we didn't have an option at D

Knight and Walker look like projects at the PG. Scorers in college but need to be a point in the NBA. Sorta like the situation Jerryd Bayless has been in for most of his career.

Irving is just the clear cut best PG in this draft. Not really explosive or anything but very skilled, almost a Curry/Billups mix. He'll step in right away and not much work would be needed to become a PG in the NBA.

I'd rather have Calderon stick around than have Knight or Walker

I love Calderon, but I really think that Kemba is a hell of a Basketball player.
He is fast as a jet, good shooter, all around player, he have a dominance in the game, a winner, a leader... aplyer where where you can build.
If we have a chance we should choose a Champion. He was the best all around player during the season and Final Four. Period!!
EuroWise is offline  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #104
Jballer
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,399
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Knight and Walker look like projects at the PG. Scorers in college but need to be a point in the NBA. Sorta like the situation Jerryd Bayless has been in for most of his career.

Irving is just the clear cut best PG in this draft. Not really explosive or anything but very skilled, almost a Curry/Billups mix. He'll step in right away and not much work would be needed to become a PG in the NBA.

I'd rather have Calderon stick around than have Knight or Walker

Partially Disagree - Agree - Disagree.

I dont think that either of these players are "projects" any more or less than any college player. 2-3 years at most for PG and we are already in that curve with Ed Davis/Demar Derozan. Bigs - Centers and Power forwards are usually even longer term projects (i.e. pick any C outside of Dwight Howard) which is what I dont want. A "big man" project starting to peak when Derozan/Davis become ellagable for RFA and UFA.

Yes Irving is the cream of the crop. I point to these guys cause I have predicted Irving wont make it past the Cavaliers with the 1st Pick (projected). Especially if Barnes is returning to the Tar Heels as someone posted.

I like Jose - I think he has skill and talent. I dont think Jose fits the Raptors youth movement and I dont think his D "intensity" fits with the future team style. He would be a great player i.e. for the Lakers for example. We need to move on with a young point guard because we have the youth nucleus of 2-3-4 set - we need to see what they will develop into.

A defensive stalwart (not offensive threat ) big man as a complimentry piece to Davis/Derozan/Johnson/Baylis/ (Walker for example) is available via trade

Last edited by Jballer : 04-05-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Jballer is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #105
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Partially Disagree - Agree - Disagree.

I dont think that either of these players are "projects" any more or less than any college player. 2-3 years at most for PG and we are already in that curve with Ed Davis/Demar Derozan. Bigs - Centers and Power forwards are usually even longer term projects (i.e. pick any C outside of Dwight Howard) which is what I dont want. A "big man" project starting to peak when Derozan/Davis become ellagable for RFA and UFA.

Yes Irving is the cream of the crop. I point to these guys cause I have predicted Irving wont make it past the Cavaliers with the 1st Pick (projected). Especially if Barnes is returning to the Tar Heels as someone posted.

I like Jose - I think he has skill and talent. I dont think Jose fits the Raptors youth movement and I dont think his D "intensity" fits with the future team style. He would be a great player i.e. for the Lakers for example. We need to move on with a young point guard because we have the youth nucleus of 2-3-4 set - we need to see what they will develop into.

A defensive stalwart (not offensive threat ) big man as a complimentry piece to Davis/Derozan/Johnson/Baylis/ (Walker for example) is available via trade

I just hope the Raps don't pick a point guard just because they don't like Jose. I wouldn't mind having Jose around on a rebuilding team. He sets up the offense very well, and its not like there isn't effort on D; its the fact that he has no lateral quicks. His intensity on D is there. They should just pick the talent that they like best, whether its Jonas V ( I don't feel like looking up his name), Kanter, Williams etc..... I wouldn't pick a point guard unless we fell to the 6-7 spot.
kmart is offline  
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy